Computer inverter to make an emergency home lighting

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Computer inverter to make an emergency home lighting

by phil59 » 21/06/22, 19:30

I just bought a used computer UPS, a 2000VA, where the batteries are out of order. (25€, after 2 months of negotiation).

As I have the lighting circuits almost easily modifiable, the idea would be to put the lighting on the corrugated.

I did a quick calculation, 1 or 2 years ago, and, as there is almost everything LED, at least in what can be saved, on days of very high lighting consumption, it must not exceed 1 kWh in winter.

First of all, isn't it too embarrassing that it's LEDs for the inverter?

I have some recovery batteries, the source of which I know well, 18650.

I must receive 3S BMS, because at first I thought there were 6 batteries in it, and in fact, just 4, and make pseudo 12V batteries ....

I wonder if I will not take a 13S .... With any luck, I should have about forty 18650, being still over 50%, and in which I still have at least 1100 mAh ... .

I tell myself, there should be about 2 kWh available, at least.

And since I have 760 Wp of panels, inclined at about 60%, to have the max in winter, I tell myself that I could often cut the juice at night from the lighting, to switch to the inverter.... and put it back around noon....

In winter, it can be very fair, if several days are not good, but in the off season, and in summer, it must be fine...

What do you think about it ?

I forgot, the inverter will be in the cellar entrance, and it should be between 15° at the lowest, and 25 in the summer, so I think for the cells, it should do it roughly... .
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Computer inverter for home lighting backup

by sicetaitsimple » 21/06/22, 20:16

I'm not sure I understand the point of what you want to do...
Today, your 760Wp of PV, what do they charge on?
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 21/06/22, 20:56

I have micro inverters on each panel, and they overlook the whole house, with a part reinjected gracefully into the network.

As they are in the garden, and inclined at 60°, I can quite easily put them at 20° for the summer .... and the summer I have too much, and even this month of March, I have a lot given.

And then, to have juice, in the case of a small network outage, currently insignificant and super rare at home, tomorrow?
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/06/22, 21:18

OK, I understand better: what you want to do is no longer send your surplus free of charge to the network. I forget the security of the lighting at night, if today you are not affected by frequent cuts there is little risk that it will fundamentally change tomorrow, and not sure that an inverter + batteries islanded on a circuit specific does not cause more problems than the good old network.

But then your surplus, how much is it? Your ladle production must be around 800 kWh/year, right? In addition, do you have an electric vehicle that must easily swallow all that when you are present during the day?
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 21/06/22, 22:15

In fact, currently, it's less because tilted at 60° (in fact 3 at 60°, and one at 45°, him more on the east), because with my back problems, I haven't had the opportunity to make a variable shot, if only at 2 or 3 positions.

But, I still have so much to install, and I hope my back problems will decrease over time, or not...

The swimming pool, I think I will not be able to do this year yet, and therefore no heat pump for it.

The car (of Madame) is mostly there after 17 p.m., and at best, until 19 p.m., it's equivalent to the "night" rate, and mine is mostly at work.

The dishwasher, we force it during the day, preferably, especially since it is connected to hot water directly, hot gas water.

The washing machine, if it is also at 30° max, but I will not have far, over a year, from reinjecting 100 kWh into the network... easily more than 150 days of lighting, but above all protected.

It's not much, but 25€ of inverter, if I put a BMS 13S, it's around 15€, and if I simulate 12V batteries, it's 5€ of BMS...

Batteries that can easily last 5 years, it's free, and a little time .... let's say, ladle, 40 €, that's why I can consider, otherwise, brand new , it's too expensive, even by making an installation by doing with a hybrid inverter ...
0 x

phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 21/06/22, 23:11

20220621_154005.jpg

20220621_111743.jpg

I also forgot to say that currently, So there is juice to recover the WE.
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/06/22, 13:54

phil59 wrote: but I will not have far, over a year, from 100 kWh to reinject into the network... easily more than 150 days of lighting, but above all protected.

If it's about 100kWh/year of "losses" (value 15 to 20€), that doesn't seem like much to me to make the modifications you are considering, especially since you will still have "losses", even if they are less.
But hey, it's a personal opinion, of course your diagram must work and the decision is up to you! Especially since beyond the "financial" aspect, I think it would make you happy to implement your solution, which has value.
Will you tell us?
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 22/06/22, 15:14

Of course that the "pleasure" aspect is essential, but if for April to September the panels at 25-30°, roughly speaking, it will be at least 200kW to reinject,
Plus there will be double the panel, which I have, and there it will be around 500Wh and I think almost 350 days a year to be able to store for lighting...

And for me, the future of "continuous, uninterrupted" juice risks becoming uncertain, not that we are not what it takes, but who knows?

A few years ago, when I was working, over a summer, we had a lot of network cuts...

It was just pruning that had not been renewed.
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/06/22, 15:37

phil59 wrote:Plus there will be double the panel, which I have, and there it will be around 500Wh

Of course, if you double your solar production, the problem becomes different. But with two electric vehicles, you still seem well equipped to manage this production. The 1 to 2 kWh of storage in your inverter will certainly help, but not enough to avoid losses.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 22/06/22, 16:48

You know, electric vehicles drive during the day.

And as currently, we leave 3 WE out of 4, and WE where we do not leave, generally, one of the days is devoted to parents.

To situate, the kona in May traveled 4113 km, and there, for June, we are already 2347 km....

I remember a month, during confinement, he had only done 400 km.

We mainly charge at night, at reduced rates...

We will say that roughly speaking, in 2 years, I will be retired or not. But my wife will still continue to work. Yes, I took a young girl, she is only 56 years old! : Lol: and more than 35 years with the same camel, I am entitled to the desert medal! : Lol:
So the kona, it's not often that it will charge during the day.

As for my VE, he no longer has his 100 km of youth, and I think that with one charge per week, I will have enough (in fact 2-3 small ones, let's say 3 times 1h30).

To situate, in December-January, with 70° inclination, it is about 55-60 kWh of production, per me, with 1.5 kWp installed, theoretical figures.

So during the winter, I will barely have enough to do the lighting, and the rest will go to everything that consumes ....

day away.PNG
day absent.PNG (37.01 KiB) Viewed 3458 times

It's been a day when we weren't there, I don't remember the time, but it must have been not too bad, but the panels are a bit overgrown with weeds in front ... couldn't cut much.

So it would be necessary to model the night on the day, and we see that the house consumes a small 200Wh with the background noise (a good 150 Wh, in any case).
In there, there may be 20Wh in total, because I light 2-3 lamps, 5-10 minutes here and there, when we are not there ....
0 x