Manage passwords in 2021 (Cloud or local)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Manage passwords in 2021 (Cloud or local)

by izentrop » 23/05/21, 03:02

Hello,
How do you manage your passwords?

We need more and more passwords and there is an incredible amount of applications that offer to manage them in a "safe" with a single password, often free for a device, but as soon as it is necessary. synchronize with several devices: pc + laptop ++, you have to pay a license.
However, we can get by with free software.

I share an idea that seems simpler to me than some paid solutions:
Download 7 zip https://www.7-zip.fr/, the encryption is very robust and open source.
There are versions for different platforms, for android https://www.android-zone.fr/zarchiver-s ... chiers-7z/ without ads.
Even the cnil advertises it https://www.cnil.fr/fr/comment-chiffrer ... epertoires

Small tutorial
Create a directory that will contain the archive, I called it "words" and the archive "! Motdp.7z" (the! Is so that it stays in the lead in alphabetical order, otherwise we do what 'we want : Wink: ).
I use the notepad to register "user", "password" on 2 lines, we can also add other lines like the address of the site and to finish register under the name of the site, the extension ". txt "is automatically added with the Windows notepad .. (You can register several in a row.)
Then, select the names of the files, with the right button of the mouse open the contextual menu and choose "7z" then "add to the archive ..."
This opens a configurable window, like the following image.
I chose not to compress, unnecessary for small text files.

By setting as indicated, do not forget the password which will be the only one to remember.
By checking the 2 boxes: "Show password" and "Encrypts file names", which is requested each time you try to open the archive
"Erase files after compression" erases the file in plain text, as soon as it is saved.
the settings are kept, so you no longer need to modify each time a new mdp is added.

I thought about the text file, because it is automatically organized in alphabetical order or the order of your choice, and is even displayed in the browser, if you don't have a notepad application on your smartphone.

The archive file can be put on the "cloud" and synchronized to be read and modified from several devices (I haven't thought about how yet?)
I stop there, because there is certainly more to say ...

AdditionMdpArchive.gif
AdditionMdpArchive.gif (90.36 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Manage passwords

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/05/21, 04:05

Firefox (preferences):
MdP.JPG
MdP.JPG (71.19 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

You're welcome. : Mrgreen:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/05/21, 09:55

Like all browsers, Guy :P
You don't fear the breakdown, you don't have a cell phone?
To send files by email, that does too. : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/05/21, 12:53

There are inter-machine synchronization tools for years eh Izy (I know it's way for privacy and security to send your mdp in the Cloud but in case of failure you lose nothing) ...

Just link Firefox to a Cloud account and everything is done in seconds on a new machine!

There are equivalents for Chrome (gmail account) and for Edge (MS group account: hotmail, live ...) of course ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/05/21, 13:02

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Firefox (preferences)

I am intrigued and dubious about the methods to detect FF leaks: https://support.mozilla.org/fr/kb/firef ... =inproduct

How Firefox Notifies Website Data Leaks

Firefox compares the date of a known website data breach with the date you saved a password for that site. If the website has been compromised after this registration, you will see the alert.

: Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

A good hack ... is not seen even by the administrators of the site in question (at least not at first)! So how could FF know that millions of sites could be compromised?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/05/21, 13:05

izentrop wrote:Like all browsers, Guy :P
You don't fear the breakdown, you don't have a cell phone?
To send files by email, that does too. : Wink:

No, but .... we think we are dreaming .... Firefox gives you super difficult passwords and I don't need a Cloud to save them, nor even a USB key or external HDD, a notebook is enough! And at worst, if I lose it (the notebook), I reset and it's done.

Christophe wrote:A good hack ... is not seen even by the administrators of the site in question (at least not at first)! So how could FF know that millions of sites could be compromised?

Whether he knows it or not, it ends up knowing. At least there is this function which has the merit of existing and which can possibly warn you before the mainstream media. Either way I would be hacked, so it doesn't make much difference to me.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/05/21, 13:09

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:And at worst, if I lose it (the notebook), I reset and it's done.

And what do you do if you have lost in this notebook all the strong passwords generated by FF for ALL your reset emails ? : Mrgreen:

There I think you will have it in ... luc ... : Cheesy:
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/05/21, 13:10

Christophe wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:And at worst, if I lose it (the notebook), I reset and it's done.

And what do you do if you have lost the strong passwords generated by FF for ALL your reset emails? : Mrgreen:

There I think you will have it in ... luc ... : Cheesy:

No. Think ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/05/21, 13:11

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Christophe wrote:A good hack ... is not seen even by the administrators of the site in question (at least not at first)! So how could FF know that millions of sites could be compromised?

Whether he knows it or not, it ends up knowing. At least there is this function which has the merit of existing and which can possibly warn you before the mainstream media. Either way I would be hacked, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

Will get to know each other? The mainstream media only talk about hacking of GAFAM or very large boxes ... when they do!

Suffice to say that it is close to 0 for preventive security!

That's why I'm puzzled about this feature!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 23/05/21, 13:12

Christophe wrote:Will get to know each other? The mainstream media only talk about hacking of GAFAM or very large boxes ... when they do!

And you, how do you prevent yourself against piracy?
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"