HP amplifier, help!

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

HP amplifier, help!

by Grelinette » 17/04/20, 18:52

I change the subject a little ...

I got an old speaker that plugs into the sector and on which we can connect a music source to amplify it.

The input socket is old and I do not know the connections. (This is an old 5-pin Philips standard)

Do you think that this HP can allow me to amplify a source coming for example from my smartphone and thus amplify a music, or from my PC?
hp (1) .jpg
hp (1) .jpg (132.42 KB) Viewed 5360 times

hp (3) .jpg
hp (3) .jpg (268.52 KB) Viewed 5360 times

hp (2) .jpg
hp (2) .jpg (155.55 KB) Viewed 5360 times
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: HP amplifier, help!

by phil59 » 17/04/20, 19:19

it looks like a 5 pin din, except that there is a "hole" in the middle ....

What does not scare is the V marked above ....

We manage to find din5 pins plugs to RCA, and then RCA to jack ...

Last edited by phil59 the 17 / 04 / 20, 19: 22, 1 edited once.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 17/04/20, 19:21

Hello,

The "IN" input socket is a kind of 5-pin DIN socket. Their use is not standardized. I say "a kind" because in addition there is a central hole aligned with the 2 extreme holes of the series of 5, which does not exist in DIN.
So you have to try.
It is often the point in the center of the 5 which is the mass. With an ohmmeter we can verify that there is a short circuit between this point and the metal part of the socket, if not try another.
To locate the audio input, all you have to do is take a piece of bare electric wire, hold it in your hand, and insert it successively into the 5 inputs of the "IN" socket. If the amp is still good, you should hear a 50Hz hum and / or crackle when it's the right input.

I see that it is noted "pre-amplifier 1v". I think without certainty that this determines the most sensitive entry position, this is the one that should be used for a smartphone and which should be sufficient (maybe even too sensitive).
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 17/04/20, 19:24

These are 5-pin DIN connectors, if you connect the inputs according to this table: http://www.hardwarebook.info/DIN_Audio with the selection button on "pre-amplifier 1V" it should not pose a PB, if you are satisfied with the music in mono.
0 x
Evaluation
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Evaluation » 18/04/20, 00:21

Grelinette wrote:Do you think that this HP can allow me to amplify a source coming for example from my smartphone and thus amplify a music, or from my PC?

No problem
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/04/20, 00:41

Petrus wrote:These are 5-pin DIN connectors, if you connect the inputs according to this table: http://www.hardwarebook.info/DIN_Audio with the selection button on "pre-amplifier 1V" it should not pose a PB, if you are satisfied with the music in mono.
Yes in mono it is necessary to connect between
- 3 shielding of the audio cable
- 1 mono input

The loudspeaker membrane may be peeled off due to age
Attachments
din.gif
din.gif (2.75 KB) Viewed 5327 times
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 18/04/20, 10:49

Thank you for all the info.
I am going to try a connection today, like that this evening at 20 pm, I will send music rather than tapping on pans to thank and encourage the health personnel!
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 18/04/20, 18:50

Petrus wrote:These are 5-pin DIN connectors, if you connect the inputs according to this table: http://www.hardwarebook.info/DIN_Audio with the selection button on "pre-amplifier 1V" it should not pose a PB, if you are satisfied with the music in mono.

It is an ersatz of the DIN. The central hole aligned with the 2 extreme holes does not exist in the DIN standard.
It does not mean that it is not compatible, it probably is, but better to test before final assembly.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 20/04/20, 15:42

Well ... I removed the back plate of the HP to see the connections to the 5-pin DIN sockets and replace the IN socket (1 from the photo below).

A priori the hole in the middle of the socket does not correspond to a connection pin because there is no wire on the other side:

hp (5) .jpg
hp (5) .jpg (250.09 KB) Viewed 5251 times

By cons, I will not start changing the plug IN (1) by a simpler grip given the lack of space.

So I will either try to find a male DIN plug or make one, and only solder the necessary pins: A, B, C, D or F

According to you, among the contacts A, B, C, D, E, F, which are the 2 pins that I must connect?

hp (4) .jpg
hp (4) .jpg (183.37 KB) Viewed 5251 times

Last 3 small questions to finish abusing a little more of your time and experience:

1) If I make bad connections at the input (socket 1) from a source of output type smartphone earpiece, a priori there is no reason that I grill something in the HP? ....

2) What is the Channel button for (3)? (since there is only one entry: taken 1 :IN)

3) What is the selector for? 4
0 x
Evaluation
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Evaluation » 20/04/20, 16:19

Grelinette wrote:
By cons, I will not start changing the plug IN (1) by a simpler grip given the lack of space.

So I will either try to find a male DIN plug or make one, and only solder the necessary pins: A, B, C, D or F

According to you, among the contacts A, B, C, D, E, F, which are the 2 pins that I must connect?

hp (4) .jpg

Last 3 small questions to finish abusing a little more of your time and experience:

1) If I make bad connections at the input (socket 1) from a source of output type smartphone earpiece, a priori there is no reason that I grill something in the HP? ....

2) What is the Channel button for (3)? (since there is only one entry: taken 1 :IN)

3) What is the selector for? 4

It is a monophonic amplified speaker.
4 is used to select the sensitivity of the input.
1V should be fine, otherwise go to 7.5V if the sound saturates.

Chanel is used to choose which channel of the source to amplify, right or left.

mass in C,
right signal at E,
left signal at D

F is the shielding braid of a Din cable, also to ground.
It will work without connecting anything, since the mass will already be in C

The ideal would be to add right and left of the source with 2 resistors of approximately 1K and to connect the midpoint on E, to have right + left and not one or the other.
Principle below

No risk of burning, the signals are weak but use input 1 of the speaker and not output 2.
1 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"