Serial and parallel power supply

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
kimoo133
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Serial and parallel power supply

by kimoo133 » 29/07/18, 22:21

Hello,

To make it easier for my disabled brother to use the stairs, I designed a traction solution for his wheelchair with an 12 volt car winch.

Not finding an affordable electrical solution, I opted for power through a sealed lead-acid battery, thanks to an 24 volt battery charger and 2 12 batteries that I recovered from his old wheelchair and which are in perfect working order.

The loading of the 2 batteries together is done with a series connection (24 volt), I would like to keep this same connection for loading and deactivate it via a switch to activate then the connection in parallel in order to use 12 volt for the winch .

I saw in an old post a diagram that clearly explains my connection and also gives the solution thanks to a switch double contact / double pole, but where I am (on the moon : Lol: ), I can not get this kind of switch!

So to make it simple:
a serial load (24 volt) is required which can be deactivated to activate a parallel supply (12 volt)

So advice to connoisseurs, is there way to do it with ordinary switches and what is the appropriate pattern?

I share an image of the old post cited above for better understanding

Thank you for any help or advice
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Serial and parallel power supply

by izentrop » 30/07/18, 15:23

Hello,
Serial or parallel mounting of batteries pose problems of imbalance that increase.
The easiest way is to use one battery at a time and a 12 V charger.
0 x
kimoo133
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Serial and parallel power supply

by kimoo133 » 30/07/18, 18:58

thanks for the advice
but I understand that 2 battery of the same power, same date of manufacture and same model do not pose any problems.
but if it's hopeless, I'll opt for a charger 12 volt
0 x