Powerline network: real range and electric meter EDF?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Powerline network: real range and electric meter EDF?

by Christophe » 11/09/17, 17:46

I am thinking about setting up a PLC network, it is easier to set up than an RJ45 which requires pulling cables and installing sockets and more efficient / stable than Wifi ...

I have 2 questions on the actual operation of a PLC network, the manufacturers' websites are not very precise on these points ... so if someone uses one here, they may have the answer (s). .

a) what is the actual practical scope? We can read in the 300m here or there but it is the maximum theoretical range, what is it in reality? The length of an RJ45 network cable is limited to 100m ... for comparison ...

b) does the signal pass the electric meter or not? The manufacturers say not (probably to reassure people ???) ... I have a doubt because I do not see what physically could prevent the passage of the signal ... The wiki page gives information on this subject but without citing the source:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courants_ ... s_en_ligne

↑ The signal is stopped by the digital counters. But the signal is likely to propagate beyond a “blue” or Foucault counter (electromechanical counters).

Susceptible to? What does that mean? Yes? No? May be? In short, not very precise as an answer ...

I can understand that a communicating digital meter stops the PLC signal (to filter it and replace it with its own, of course ...) but all the electronic meters are not communicating ... so ??

This serious-looking article says no, the signal isn't stopped: http://www.01net.com/actualites/pirater ... 33462.html

There is even a very complete .pdf file:
D1_03_Sebastien_Dudek_HomePlugAV_PLC.pdf
(6.11 million) Downloaded times 1257
on CPL security based on Qualcomm that it would be fairly easy to hack (provided you have the CPL plug in hand to read your DAK) ...

If anyone here uses PLC it would be nice to do some "real" tests. :) The thank you box

Subsidiary question: can the signal pass a neighborhood transformer?
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: CPL network: real range and electric meter EDF?

by dirk pitt » 11/09/17, 20:34

my experience is that if you ask for flow, the distance must be very short and that there are not too many "sugars" and other junction boxes between the elements.
I have a CPL transmission to pass HD video between a DVD player and my television.
it didn't work between the living room and the bedroom : Shock: when there is a maximum of 15m
I had to put the transmitter on an outlet which I know is on the same outlet line as the receiver. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/17, 01:07

15 m only? Ah well, it's much less miraculous than on paper ...

So you have to connect the PLC plugs to the same circuit breaker if I understand correctly?
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 12/09/17, 08:51

in my case, I wanted to pass a lot of speed (HD video) and therefore I had to put transmitter and receiver on the same line coming from the board which means that the signal does not even go to the board. it goes from the 1st take on the line to the 3rd on the same line. estimated length 6 to 8m and it works well.
when it worked badly, transmitter and receiver were on the same row of circuit breakers but on different socket lines and the signal had to go to the board, cross 2 circuit breakers and go up on the 2nd line. estimated distance 15 to 20 m and it worked very badly: chopped video, signal interruptions, etc.
0 x

Click my signature
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 12/09/17, 10:50

From my (limited) experience, it works well enough for a "modest" speed (a few MB / s) and a few tens of meters, but you must actually avoid crossing too many electrical equipment.

Suddenly, the possibility for the neighbor to connect after having crossed at least 1 circuit breaker + 1 differential + 2 meters + 1 differential + 1 circuit breaker is quite theoretical (unless the neighbor works for the secret services).

Note that in the case of a three-phase installation, the PLCs must be connected to the same phase (or else phase couplers must be installed at the meter).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/17, 12:27

Ok thank you for these feedback ...

I'll give it a try so ... the hardest part will be to identify which takes are "eligible" ... : Cheesy:

Gaston wrote:Note that in the case of a three-phase installation, the PLCs must be connected to the same phase (or else phase couplers must be installed at the meter).

You do well to specify this because in Belgium, we are supplied with "three-phase 230V" so 230V between each phase ... no neutral and 130V between a phase and the earth therefore ...

125 € the coupler, so it will not increase the installation bill: https://www.domomat.com/20987-coupleur- ... 03608.html

But if I use sockets connected to the same circuit breaker (without coupler therefore) or sockets on the same 2 phases (to be checked in the electrical panel therefore) will it work or not?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/09/17, 12:38

Hello,
I have little experience in CPL. Interesting information here https://www.monpc-pro.fr/tuto/le-cpl-au ... lications/

You also have wifi with repeaters which is done : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/17, 12:43

Wifi repeaters yes but I would like to do without Wifi as much as possible ... (but for smartphones it is necessary ...)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/09/17, 12:54

For a reason that is not practical or economic?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/17, 13:28

The reason is practical: the wifi has difficulty passing my concrete floors (modem in the cellar) I already had to put 2 repeaters so that on the first floor I have a drinking signal and I have terrible and zero speeds in 2 upper rooms so I'm fed up and I would like to switch to CPL "to compare" (as the prices of CPL have fallen quite a bit) ...

But if that implies the compulsory purchase of a phase coupler I am less hot ... (this condition will depend on the wiring of my electrical network ...)

As I just said, Wifi is essential for smartphones ... so a CPL-Wifi coupling seems to me a good solution to have a good network "everywhere" ...
0 x