A hard drive switch for your turn ...

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

A hard drive switch for your turn ...

by RV-P » 07/10/16, 15:06

- Hello.
- Here is a "DIY" that can troubleshoot more than one for a desktop computer that sometimes has many hard drives!
- Indeed, we rarely need that they are all fed. Maybe only one hard drive can be enough (the one on which the operating system is installed!)! Moreover, if you regularly test several operating systems (Windows, Linux, MacOS on PC - Hackintosh ...), this assembly allows to totally isolate the tested system from the others!
- It also allows to use a power less powerful or less overload!
- Here is the diagram:
Switching hard disks.
Switching hard drives.png (47.95 KIO) Viewed 5281 times

- And the adaptation on a case:
20161007_164439.jpg

- The "flash" LED is not a special LED. This is an ordinary LED (high brightness all the same!) That comes on for a moment when charging the capacitor (about a second) that powers one or more relays. It indicates that, as long as it is lit, do not touch the switches, otherwise you will need to power another hard disk when starting the computer. That's why she is red.
- I used a "keyboard" old model buttons (radio wave selector), but you can just as easily use slide switches, especially if you want to put a lot!
- To your soldering irons and miniperceuses!
1 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!
djo59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: A hard drive switch for your ride ...

by djo59 » 05/11/16, 10:15

Good idea of ​​editing, on the other hand, correct me if I'm wrong, but this assembly is for those still using hard drives powered by molex plug?
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 05/11/16, 13:56

- No ! All my hard drives are SATA and it works the same! SATA power outlets can be plugged in instead of the Molex or fitted with adapters. Same thread colors, same tensions!
- On the other hand, only 12V and 5V are switched. If the 3,3V is present (not mandatory: we can very well do without!), It should be switched too. Just put 3RT relays instead of 2RT on the diagram!
- Cordially.
0 x
djo59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by djo59 » 12/11/16, 00:00

: Oops:
So much for me, I was pointing at the cables sata (data) and I wondered how you managed to weld the top, but yes indeed the sata power cables are identical to the molex except connector of course.

And to come back to your 1er post, excellent editing that I preciously put in a corner because it could serve me soon : Mrgreen:

Thank you to you for sharing.
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 13/11/16, 18:57

- You're welcome ! I make others enjoy my experience, nothing more!
- By the way, I "zapped" an important info: we can let the data cable plugged in. Just turn off the power to turn off a hard drive (when shutting down the computer, of course!)! It works even on some recent IDE hard drives.
- You can also connect any hard drive and boot a system on a USB key: it works very well!
0 x

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"