End of Windows XP support, another obsolescence?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

End of Windows XP support, another obsolescence?

by Christophe » 07/05/14, 13:50

Since the 8 last April, the support of WinXP no longer exists ...

Microsoft gives some explanations here: http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/wind ... eos_client

Mwarf !!

(...)

How to stay protected?

To stay protected after the end of support, two options are available:

Update your current PC
Very few old computers are able to run Windows 8.1, the latest version of Windows. We recommend that you download and run the Windows Upgrade Wizard to verify that your PC meets the requirements for Windows 8, and then follow the steps in the tutorial to perform the update on your PC, if applicable . The system requirements for Windows 8.1 are substantially the same as for Windows 8. If your PC can run Windows 8, in most cases you can benefit from the free update to Windows 8.1. For more information, see the FAQ.

Download the Windows Upgrade Wizard to determine if your PC can run Windows 8

Tutorial: Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP

Buy a new PC

(...)

In short 2 solutions are available to you: pay or pay (since the XP update to 8.1 is obviously not free ...) !!!

Another alternative: install Ubuntu or another accessible linux!
Here is a subject: https://www.econologie.com/forums/j-installe ... t6568.html

Moreover if you do not use IE (Firefox, Chrome ...) and you pay attention on the sites on which you surf, WinXp will be secure for a while (as long as the publishers of these browsers continue to support XP compatible versions) ...)

Other tracks?
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 05 / 14, 10: 52, 1 edited once.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 07/05/14, 14:44

Left to change Windaube, according to a computer scientist who installs sells Windaube for years, you should not under any circumstances switch to 8.1 and stay despite all repeated attempts by Bill on the 8 version. According to him, 8.1 is an integral part of Macrocrottesoft's loupés.

He is not the only one to do that and there is even a big computer maker who has gone back all the way back to Seveunne so he was emmer ..... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/05/14, 16:08

Not to mention the price and the forced sale, but we are used to krosoft, bin yes 8.1 is crap ... the lack of the start menu to find its programs replaced by a user-friendly screen where the programs do not stop not to move is a big mistake.

Edit: erratum, 8.1 has, again, a start menu
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 05 / 14, 09: 58, 1 edited once.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 07/05/14, 16:29

We talk about Windows and live it starts on big troll ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/05/14, 19:37

I'm the troooolll? (funny in Alsatian) : Shock: : Shock: : Mrgreen:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/05/14, 05:04

same story has the end of windows 98 but I did not manage to do everything with linux .... mandrake at the time, and windows XP was quite practical

then I saw vista arrive, with a multitude of problems: I ironed some new computer with vista in Windows XP by finding all that is needed to make real fake windows XP PRO well recognized by microsoft!

I have another one with seven, but I do not get used to it ... and as I hear that windows 8 is worse I will stop wasting my time

so I put Xubuntu: the beginnings are promising: everything works the first time

nothing to do with the time of mandrake or something was always missing

not even need to get tired reading the doc, when i need something i put some word in google and it finds a multitude of answer in different forum

some years ago I had to master windows xp to solve the problems in both: I did not know enough to advise linux

now it's not the same: I do not support new windows ... I do not have money to waste on new machines

important for those who are afraid: when we put the dvd ubuntu, or xubuntu in a computer he knows how to partition the hard disk, to reduce the space for windows and settle on the other part, and give the possibility to start on the one we want: the speed of instalation is impressive
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 08/05/14, 08:20

Hey yes as usual the people who talk about it the most are precisely those who do not know what they are talking about ("it seems", "we say that ...".

The "strong" point of Windows 8.1 is precisely the return of the start menu; in fact, with a few clicks you can configure 8.1 so that it is identical to windows 7 (it has its strengths and weaknesses, but I use it from RC1 and the return to XP at the end of it was a bit difficult. I put 7 pro back a little before the end of XP support and I immediately felt comfortable)

Then, talk of obsolescence scheduled for an OS who held 12 years is a bit of abuse. 12 years in the world of computing is an eternity. What other windows, or just that other mainstream OS can boast of having had such a long life?
How often do new versions of mac-os come out? new versions of the Linux kernel and its different distributions?
The hardware evolves, we can not ask an old OS to support new technologies (SSD, USB3, etc ...)
Are you going to complain at your dealership because your 10-year old car doesn't meet safety standards as well as the last model released? Do you require an "update" of its equipment to benefit from the latest improvements in terms of comfort and safety? no ! either keep your "old" car or buy a new one.
Why should it be otherwise in computing?

If we really want to talk about planned obsolescence, it is rather on the computer peripheral side that we should look.
No need to look far, just look at the side of the scanners. Once again, I had to part with a device to operation and performance quite satisfactory simply because its manufacturer (which has nothing to do with Microsoft near or far) do not want to develop a driver compatible with the latest versions of OS available.
it was already the same story when switching from win98 to 2000 (how long did it hold this one? I had to use it less than 2 years ...)

When windows 8 is out and the end of XP support has been announced (long ago ...), there were offers of update for about ten euros (50 euros memory, when see that the least Internet package + TV + phone costs in the 60 € every month, pay 50 € every 10 years for an update of OS and moan for that it is frankly abuse)
And currently windows 8.1 is probably the cheapest OS sold for a long time by Microsoft (compare with the price of Windows 7 where it is still for sale and remember the price of Windows XP)

Finally, Bill Gates no longer has any technical or commercial responsibility at Microsoft, he has retired for some years now.
He no longer has any "operative" function within Microsoft since 2008, and since the start of this year he no longer even heads the board. In the end, he no longer even owns 10% of the shares in this company.
Saying "bill want this, bill want that" is pure trolling from someone who brings his strawberry to a subject that he obviously does not understand at all.
The responsible for the Windows 8 fiasco has been "fired" and his successor tries to make up for it with 8.1
Besides, I don't know if you've noticed, but in the ads they don't even talk about "8 something" but "new windows".

On that, good troll!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/05/14, 09:33

Windows is the OS where you have to click on Start for Stop ? : Mrgreen:

just know it : Idea:

Otherwise, I turn on XP for ages and I'm happy. it breaks my feet severely. Besides, I do not change. :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/05/14, 10:07

Forhorse wrote:On that, good troll!

Thank you for these details!

And mea culpa for the error I made about 8.1 and the start menu ... I edited my message. From there to treat me troll ... well let's go!

Your arguments defend Forhorse, but what's annoying is that there are still tens of millions of PCs running on XP ...

There are therefore millions of users who, more or less, are forced to change systems. "Before" (= from 95 to XP) we changed the system because new software or hardware no longer ran on it and we had to change gear often, today much less! In short, it was out of consumer need and therefore their choice!

There it is a little different because millions of PCs are still running Microsoft could have continued to provide "minimum service" (a dozen employees certainly).

It's a bit like the tankers stop making engine oil for all the older generations of engines and they only made 0W30!
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 08/05/14, 10:32

Forhorse wrote:Then, talk about obsolescence scheduled for an OS who held 12 years, it's a bit of abuse

+1

No notion of obsolescence programmed in this case. XP will continue to run smoothly for certainly hundreds of years ...

An interesting show tonight on France 5 at 21h30: duel Jobs vs Gates
0 x
To argue.