Datacenter in "cogeneration" in heat network

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Datacenter in "cogeneration" in heat network

by Christophe » 13/09/11, 16:38

A data center transformed into a giant boiler

The first heat network powered by energy from computer data centers will see the light of day soon. In the long run, this network will avoid the annual emissions of 5.400 tons of CO2. Zoom on a promising technological process.

Geothermal energy, biomass and even wastewater ... In recent years, many innovative processes have been put in place to supply heat to urban heating networks. Their objective, to overcome the constant rise in the price of energy and the use of fossil resources such as fuel oil or gas. A next technological step is to recover energy from data centers.

Data center, a new heating mode

In consultation with the New Urban Agglomeration Union of Val d'Europe (San), Dalkia will build a new heat network that will be powered by energy recovery from a data center of a banking institution. A first in France. Indeed, these data centers, made up of powerful computer equipment, are very large consumers of energy, in particular to be constantly refreshed by cold production units. A data center of 10.000 m2 would consume as much electricity as an average city of 50.000 inhabitants. In addition, the electricity consumption of these centers represents a significant cost in financial terms but also a considerable impact on the environment.

"Dalkia therefore had the idea of ​​recovering the volumes of hot air generated by the cooling production units and of using them for the benefit of the heating network", explains Jean-Philippe Buisson, Director of Dalkia Ile de France. Usually lost, the heat released by the cooling units and discharged in the form of hot air will be recovered by heat exchangers. At the outlet of the exchangers, water at 55 ° C will flow through the pipes of the business park network and will ensure the production of heating and hot water.

(...)

Suite / source: http://www.actu-environnement.com/ae/ne ... 13492.php4
0 x
Napo dwarf
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Napo dwarf » 13/09/11, 16:59

financially, users will not find out finally have to see how the financial institution intends to allocate the cost of kWh?
but level sustainable development it's great finally new (concrete)
even if a geothermal storage could have been more encouraging for the future (after seeing the soil analysis it was not necessarily playable :)

we recycle the energy .... finally !!!
0 x
Of all those who have nothing to say, the nicest are those who are silent
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/09/11, 17:18

If it's Dalkia that's on the spot, I'm not worried about the profitability of the business ... Don't forget that cooling is, I believe, the 3rd expense of a data center after hardware depreciation and "machine electricity" costs. Some like OVH (see this topic: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ecosalle-d ... t5038.html ) try to minimize the cost of cooling ...

By cons in summer will have to find a thermal shedding ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 13/09/11, 22:31

In 3 posts Dédé shows us his storage in the basement ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Napo dwarf
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Napo dwarf » 14/09/11, 10:07

At the same time to really make the operation profitable over the year, that's the best thing to do.

finally see the project and the constraints
0 x
Of all those who have nothing to say, the nicest are those who are silent