In winter, the electricity consumption of a computer is free

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

In winter, the electricity consumption of a computer is free

by hic » 11/04/11, 15:49

In winter the electricity consumption of a computer is free

since almost all of the energy consumed
by the computer will be transformed into heat
and will participate in the heating,
thus the electricity consumption bill
from the computer will switch to the heating account,

and therefore ZERO consumption for the computer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unlike google,
which must consume as much energy to power its 2 million servers as to cool them (double consumption)

an individual who participates in a community cloud will have ZERO consumption! ! ! : Mrgreen: (In winter)

------------
So put Econologie.com (which saturates) in the clouds?

Why not ! ! !
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/11, 16:49

Yes, but:

a) 100% of the energy does not go into heat: there is light, electromagnetic radiation and "intelligence" ... I have never managed to find the exact energy balance of a computer, however I looked for ... if kk1 has it I take it with pleasure!

b) less valid if you do not heat yourself with electricity ...

c) in summer it is the opposite where it is air-conditioned, the air conditioning will run more (especially in offices)

d) it would surprise me that the PUE of Google datacenters is not lower than 2.0 (which is very bad) ... at OVH they have a PUE of 1.2 to 1.3 which is rather good ...

Didn't understand the last sentence : Mrgreen:
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/04/11, 16:58

I would even say that all of the energy consumed is transformed into heat (except for a tiny part which is transformed into light energy but which in the end must end up in heat too)

In fact it is a philosophical and existential question that I have already asked myself, without really having the answer.
A computer, like a brain, consumes a lot of energy that it “wastes” 100% to process or create information.
But does information have an existence from a physical point of view? A priori no, it's just a view of the human mind, but it has no physical reality, it is neither matter, nor energy.
So what is it ?

This is where I came to ask myself the following question: what if the hidden mass of the universe, was in fact "information"? the accumulation of all data and all cognitive processing (in all these forms) carried out since the universe has existed.
that would then be the key to the expansion of the universe, but in a concept that still escapes us ...

It is certainly a very far-fetched idea, but have scientists really looked into the question?

If not to come back to the question of the origin, yes I too tend to consider that in winter, the operation of a computer is "free" (just like the fact that energy saving lamps are not make no savings)
At home, in winter, it runs all day. In summer it only runs when necessary.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 11/04/11, 17:08

Not crazy, in quantum mechanics the whole universe is information and rather in 2 dimensions !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/11, 17:18

Forhorse wrote:In fact it is a philosophical and existential question that I have already asked myself, without really having the answer.
A computer, like a brain, consumes a lot of energy that it “wastes” 100% to process or create information.
But does information have an existence from a physical point of view? A priori no, it's just a view of the human mind, but it has no physical reality, it is neither matter, nor energy.
So what is it ?

I don't agree with your approach: everything is chemistry, everything is physical ... information on a chipset, a connection in the brain, it's an exchange of electrons, isn't it?

For the basic question, I +1, that's why I put and "intelligence" which corresponds to what you call information.

I therefore +1 the question without having an answer.

Forhorse wrote:This is where I came to ask myself the following question: what if the hidden mass of the universe, was in fact "information"? the accumulation of all data and all cognitive processing (in all these forms) carried out since the universe has existed.
that would then be the key to the expansion of the universe, but in a concept that still escapes us ...

It is certainly a very far-fetched idea, but have scientists really looked into the question?

Houla interesting, but we should normally be a lot smarter than that, given the mass we lack :D :D

But there a subject in the forum philosophy is essential ...

Forhorse wrote:At home, in winter, it runs all day. In summer it only runs when necessary.

See note b)
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/04/11, 17:36

Christophe wrote:
I don't agree with your approach: everything is chemistry, everything is physical ... information on a chipset, a connection in the brain, it's an exchange of electrons, isn't it?

Well yes, but what does an electron exchange produce? either heat or radiation (light, X-ray, etc.)
When you perform the "1 + 1" operation, whether in your brain, or in a silicon-based processor, there is indeed an electron exchange, that is the part that can be observed physically.
But the operation itself, and its result, are not quantifiable from a physical point of view, right?
If you had used the same energy to light a bulb (produce light radiation and heat) from a physical point of view, the same thing would have happened (electron exchange as you point out) but however, there would not be this "added value" of information processing.
So what becomes of this "added value"? and does it have a physical existence?

Christophe wrote:Houla interesting, but we should normally be a lot smarter than that, given the mass we lack :D :D

But there a subject in the forum philosophy is essential ...

I did not say that this mass would result only from human intelligence or its machines. It is necessary to take into account the other species having a cognitive capacity as well on earth as in the rest of the universe.
And who tells us that there are no other forms of "intelligence" apart from a brain or a computer?

Christophe wrote:See note b)

Yes, but not only.
In winter you heat yourself up, to heat yourself you consume energy.
Of course if you heat yourself electrically, it's obvious, the heat produced by the PC will not be provided by the convector / heat pump / etc ...
Now if you heat yourself with gas, oil, etc ... again, the heat supplied by the PC will not be supplied by this other source of energy either. It is so much saved.
After that what differs is the cost ratio, it is 1: 1 when you heat with electric, it is necessarily different if you heat differently.
After necessarily if you heat with solar it does not work ... : Cheesy:
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 11/04/11, 19:27

Christophe wrote:Yes, but:

a) 100% of the energy does not go into heat: there is light, electromagnetic radiation and "intelligence" ... I have never managed to find the exact energy balance of a computer, however I looked for ... if kk1 has it I take it with pleasure!

b) less valid if you do not heat yourself with electricity ...

c) in summer it is the opposite where it is air-conditioned, the air conditioning will run more (especially in offices)

d) it would surprise me that the PUE of Google datacenters is not lower than 2.0 (which is very bad) ... at OVH they have a PUE of 1.2 to 1.3 which is rather good ...

Didn't understand the last sentence : Mrgreen:

hi Christophe

I therefore specify
the corrected actual consumption of the computer will be
the price difference between the heat Kw and the computer Kw

what would make us a PUE of how much? a PUE 0,2 or 0,3 ??

we therefore consume less than 1/4 of a "very expensive data center"
and this for an investment of ZERO € for the individual
(in winter)

Solar is subsidized, which is to say that it is not free

Have you thought about putting your web (which corks) in the clouds?
In particular, a community cloud!

it is exactly as it is done
with community web radios,
everyone participates,
and it is almost transparent to use, no overload

with huge reserves of resources available instantly
Impossible to finance with a data center !!!!!!!!!!

In a country, how many underemployed personal computers are there
And yes !!! the biggest cloud in the world is all of us !!!!!!!!!!
0 x
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 12/04/11, 02:55

Even if it were “zero”, that would not detract from the fact that heating “electrically” is very poor performance ...

On the other hand the title of the thread is misleading, and should rather be in a subject of type "recovery of the heat dissipation of a computer" ... Because the electricity, it was indeed consumed and it was necessary pay it ... So it's not "free"^^
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/04/11, 09:39

Exactly Obamot, the following explanation is quite correct:

Forhorse wrote:After that what differs is the cost ratio, it is 1: 1 when you heat with electric, it is necessarily different if you heat differently.
After necessarily if you heat with solar it does not work ... : Cheesy:

1: 1 is the best case ... but it's not free !! Simply that we recover heat losses ...

Besides, no one on this subject has yet found the exact results of a computer ...

Hic, for the moment the econo host is satisfactory, you will find information on the OVH PUE here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ecosalle-d ... t5038.html (they have wind projects there) ...
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 12/04/11, 10:24

Obamot wrote:Even if it were “zero”, that would not detract from the fact that heating “electrically” is very poor performance ...

On the other hand the title of the thread is misleading, and should rather be in a subject of type "recovery of the heat dissipation of a computer" ... Because the electricity, it was indeed consumed and it was necessary pay it ... So it's not "free"^^

hi Obamot

The energy sent to the computer has a dual use

1.he runs the computer
2. and simultaneously, this produces 99,9% heat

therefore, in winter, in a private room,

the computer's energy bill can be deferred to 99,9%
on the heating account
(data corrected by the price difference between the 2 types
of energy).

I resume with an example of autonomy
You are in total solar autonomy

The corrected power consumption value of your computer (in winter)
will be the price difference between solar thermal and photovoltaic energies

In this case your photovoltaic energy will have a dual use
therefore 99,9 in thermal energy

goodbye Hic
0 x
Torture for Dummies

Back to "Electricity, electronics and computers: Hi-tech, Internet, DIY, lighting, materials, and new"