12V transformer and LED bulb 12V (information Velleman)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

12V transformer and LED bulb 12V (information Velleman)

by Christophe » 15/03/11, 17:39

Information by Velleman, manufacturer of led bulbs about led bulbs 12V:

Notes on using LED bulbs as a replacement for an 12 V halogen system

1) Replacement LED bulbs can not be used with electronic ballasts for halogen lighting!
The internal circuit of the LED bulbs does not withstand the high frequency output voltage of electronic ballasts. Use LED bulbs only with conventional transformers or electronic ballasts specifically designed for LED lighting.
2) The LED bulbs operate on a voltage of 12 V. Higher voltage can damage the bulb prematurely.

Check the output voltage of the ballast!

Installations using halogen bulbs from 20 W, 35 W or 50 W, are equipped with powerful transformers with an output voltage of 100 VA to 600 VA. In order to be able to supply a voltage of 12 V these transformers have an open circuit voltage up to 30 V.

By replacing the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs, the load on these transformers becomes negligible and the output voltage is above the 12 V (between 15 and 18 V).
Example:
- System 5 halogen bulbs of 35 W = 175 VA.
- Transformer used: 200 VA <the transformer supplies 12 V @ 200 VA.
- The open circuit output voltage of this transformer is approximately 18 V.
- The consumed current of halogen bulbs is 175 VA / 12 V = 14,5 A.
- Replace the halogen bulbs with 1 W LED bulbs with 1,25 W @ 12 V consumption. The current consumed is therefore only 520 mA.
- The transformer, designed to supply 12 V @ 16 A, will have an output voltage almost equal to the open circuit voltage!
- The LED bulbs will receive a voltage of about 18 V instead of 12 V, a surge of 150%!

Conclusion

By replacing halogen bulbs with LED bulbs:
- use only a conventional transformer or an electronic ballast for LEDs and not an electronic transformer;
- using a conventional transformer, measure the open-circuit output voltage of the transformer; replace the transformer or use a series resistor if necessary.

Multilingual version .pdf: https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... 0iXncV.pdf

Example of power supplies compatible with LEDs:
https://www.econologie.com/shop/alimenta ... p-363.html

Other models: https://www.econologie.com/shop/rubans-d ... -led-c-104

Read also:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/ampoule-le ... t8772.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/quel-trans ... t2719.html
Last edited by Christophe the 23 / 11 / 15, 00: 40, 3 edited once.
0 x
maximilien912
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by maximilien912 » 05/07/12, 11:15

I also opted for GU10 LED bulbs at home and I am very satisfied.
0 x
skabill2000
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Question transformer 12V for LED bulbs?

by skabill2000 » 21/07/13, 12:53

Hello,

this subject attracts my attention because I bought a ramp of halogen spotlights with a transformer 12 V with the intention of equipping it with LED bulbs.

Original equipment is as follows:

- 6 20 halogen spotlights W + 2 10 halogen bulbs W = 140 W

- The transformer is Paulmann brand with N150 reference: 11,5 V - (35 -150 W). Hey by the way, can you confirm that this is not an AC transformer and DC ... I think the small ~ is pretty clear but hey I want to be sure : Wink:

What I wanted to replace halogens by keeping the same transformer:

- 6 12 1,5 2 AC 12 X LED 3V AC 15 W LED light bulbs XNUMX W

So I wonder what risks I incur in keeping the original transformer? :?

If you had to change the transformer, thereof (12V DC power supply 45W), which you advise, would it be suitable? .. I doubt that it is CC and that it is given for 45 W while my LEDs are AC and would total 15 W.

Or then this transformer HERE (12V 20 to 60W for halogen bulbs or LED 12V AC) would not it be more suitable? ... it is in AC and with 20 W mini closer to my theoretical 15 W.

Thank you for your wise advice.

Skabill.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/07/13, 14:09

it's the problem of all these unidentified electronic bazaar! you need an oscilloscope to know what comes out!

for the halogen it works very well with a regulation of the effective tension, no matter if there are stronger voltage impulses

for the led, the weird ripples are destructive!

If there is no oscilloscope, connect the voltage to be measured on the microphone jack of the PC with a resistance divider, and record with audacity

this free software made to record the music displays the shape of the signal as an oscilloscope!

if it is the direct current the sound card does not measure the continuous: one sees only the undulation: if one sees a too big undulation on a continuous tension ca can be bad also: if it is a simple undulation has 100HZ as a straightened 50HZ it's okay, if it's bizare impulse at higher frequency it's bad
0 x
Christophe

Re: Question transformer 12V for LED bulbs?

by Christophe » 21/07/13, 14:25

skabill2000 wrote:Hello,

this subject attracts my attention because I bought a ramp of halogen spotlights with a transformer 12 V with the intention of equipping it with LED bulbs.

hi and welcome here

to complete chatelot yes
in a general way it is better to power the led bulb in 12v continuous because the internal transformer of each bulb will work less so better life time.
here is a special cc power supply from 20w https://www.econologie.com/shop/alimenta ... p-429.html which should perfectly meet your needs. if you intend to add bulbs later it is better to take the more powerful.
Last edited by Christophe the 23 / 11 / 15, 00: 41, 1 edited once.
0 x
bob737
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bob737 » 21/07/13, 17:30

skabill2000 wrote:Hello,

Hello,

I am in the same situation. I plan to buy an equivalent Paulmann type system:

And then I want to replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs.

I see that there is not much evolution since the discussions of 2009 ... : Cry:

It's amazing that there is still no spot on cable totally on LED!

8)
0 x
skabill2000
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by skabill2000 » 21/07/13, 18:27

bob737 wrote:(...) I plan to buy an equivalent system of Paulmann type: (...)

(...) It is astonishing that there is not yet a spot on cable totally on LED! (...)

For my part my whole Paulmann is THIS ONE ... on which the spots are mounted on rails ... I hope that the component "rails" will not come to make a little more delicate the power of LED bulbs that seem to me much more sensitive than halogen bulbs.

In any case the orders of LED bulbs are now launched for me and on receipt I will soon see if it works : Wink:.

Would anyone have a happy experience in conditions similar to our bob737 and myself?

Thank you for your feedback.
0 x
bob737
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bob737 » 21/07/13, 20:50

Hi,

Have you changed your transformer?
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 22/07/13, 05:07

Just take any regulated DC 12 volt power supply and the amount of LEDs connected will have no influence as long as the total does not exceed the capacity of the power supply.

These power supplies can be found at any electronic supplier or control manufacturer, Omron, Panasonic, etc.

Of course Christophe et Ecologie can provide you too and often for a better price!
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
bob737
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bob737 » 22/07/13, 07:28

Alain G wrote:Just take any regulated DC 12 volt power supply and the amount of LEDs connected will have no influence as long as the total does not exceed the capacity of the power supply.

These power supplies can be found at any electronic supplier or control manufacturer, Omron, Panasonic, etc.

Of course Christophe et Ecologie can provide you too and often for a better price!
:D

I had not seen that there was a shop

ok for the transformer. :?
What choice of LED? Which angle? What color? What power?

: Cheesy:
0 x