freaks counter

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

freaks counter

by moby25 » 07/01/11, 09:43

Hello everyone

Since 2 days, when I go home or before yesterday during the night, I have my main breaker that trips.

At my switchboard, none of the circuit breakers has tripped.
But my table is to redo. It's DIY.

How can I test a circuit or something else to determine which circuit is involved?

Thank you
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Trip counter

by Gaston » 07/01/11, 09:59

moby25 wrote:Since 2 days, when I go home or before yesterday during the night, I have my main breaker that trips.
There are two possibilities to blow the main circuit breaker:

1) Exceeding the authorized power (if you have an 45A subscription, you put 5 circuits to 10A: none of the circuits are in default but the total exceeds). If you have an EDF electronic meter, it must memorize the maximum value that has passed.

2) The "differential circuit breaker" function trips. If your switchboard is not equipped with one or more RCDs (generally 30 mA), a current leak to earth is only detected by the RCD of the main circuit breaker. As this is a random problem, it is not easy to find the cause ...
You can (current cut) measure the resistance of each circuit with respect to the ground, but if it is a equipment which causes the escape, it can only take place when it is lit ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/11, 11:12

Indeed, it can be a boring erratic thing!

All the same, when you find the disjointed general, you lower the breakers of all your lines.

You surrender the general.

And you go up each line one by one. Hopefully this will jump out the moment you snap the faulty "branch".

With a bit of luck...

And if it works, you do the same by unplugging all the devices involved and you reconnect one by one, until it jumps. And you have the culprit.

But actually, if it's just the limit of tolerated leaks, it may not jump when you try and jump later.

I forgot: a priori, only suspect devices with an earth connection (therefore a plug with the metallic "titonniot" in the middle). The others (simple plug with two connectors) are not earthed and do not cause leakage current ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/11, 11:16

Two categories of devices are suspected a priori: those subject to corrosion (washing machine, etc ...) and those exposed to moisture (I had a problem of the kind with an old electric hot plate , with the buttons that turn: overflow of boiling water, sank under the button, seal not tight, leakage current, tripping well after - it took time for it to penetrate; to say that it can be "boring"!)
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 07/01/11, 11:18

Currently, I do not know if this is a direct cause, but it is very wet everywhere with the melting of the snow.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 07/01/11, 11:21

I forgot: a priori, only suspect devices with an earth connection (therefore a plug with the metallic "titonniot" in the middle). The others (simple plug with two connectors) are not earthed and do not cause leakage current ...

The current leak on the ground can come from the female side of the socket (the wall socket).
The case has already happened to me twice. Yet with quality sockets (Legrand).
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/11, 11:27

I do not know.

But actually, the devices are only the first and the easiest hypothesis.

What I had was drivers gnawed by a mouse (which was also electrocuted, so punished herself).

So yes, if the "devices" test is negative, you have to look wider!
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 07/01/11, 11:31

A priori I think like Gaston that it is a surpassing the authorized power.

Is it electric heating?
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.

It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 07/01/11, 11:57

if you want to move forward, answer the questions!

do you have an electronic counter? if yes it keeps in memory the maximum power consumed, you will see if it is the power that blew up ... otherwise it is necessary to think a little more

what kind of disjonteur? on which current is it regulated? 15A? 30A ...?

is it differential? what differential current? 500mA?

list of connected appliances ... electric heater, machine

first advice: debranche completely everything you do not use ... if it jumps when you reconnect you will have the culprit!
0 x
moby25
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by moby25 » 07/01/11, 12:32

This is not due to a power limitation because I no longer use electric heating. I had already had this case before

It is a differential circuit breaker 300mA (I would have to check)

I just thought that I may be a power strip branch that hangs in the garden ....
0 x