LED bulb for halogen spotlight mr16 12V 20W kitchen?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

LED bulb for halogen spotlight mr16 12V 20W kitchen?

by Christophe » 02/11/10, 16:42

Exchange with a customer about 12V low voltage kitchen lighting:

A future client wrote:Hello,

In my kitchen, I have a ramp of 5 MR16 halogens of 20W each (supplied with 1 single transformer) + 2 MR16 halogen recessed spotlights of 20 W each and 1 transformer each (in the ceiling). The consumption of the whole is 210 W (for 7 x 20 W = 140W "lighting"):

1) the loss of 70 W (210 - 140) is only due to 3 transfos, or I missed something?
2) can I replace these halogen 7 with LEDs? I read here or that it depended on the processors for it to work properly: correct regulation of the current at the output of the transformer to power the LEDs and do not grill them.
LEDS envisaged:
https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-358.html
ou
https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-215.html
3) if I replace halogens with LEDs, would I still lose these 70 W (gain only compared to 140 W)?
4) if I order compact fluorescent LEDs + 3 / 4, do you make a reduction?

In advance, thank you for your answers.

The econological shop wrote:Hello,

1) Yes it is the loss of the transformers, the ferric transformers have a yield of the order of 70% which corresponds quite to your statements. There are other small variations possible depending on the voltage of the sector in particular but not as important as that.

2) All our leds are 100% compatible with all AC / DC transformers.

I strongly advise you to take the SMD model
https://www.econologie.com/shop/ampoule- ... p-358.html
because it will increase the brightness and cone of light that you had compared to your 20W.

We have precisely made precise comparative statements yesterday to read here:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/test-essai ... 10087.html
(see the curves and photos)

3) No you will lose much less: still in about 30% of the power consumed may be a bit more. If you put 7 bulb of 3W approximately, ie 21W you will only lose about 7W ... can be 10W, it depends on the range of use of the transformers.

Better: you can, if possible, use only one transformer because the requested power will be much smaller.

4) Our discount conditions are explained here:
https://www.econologie.com/shop/qui-somm ... #reduction

Shipping costs, for example, are offered from 120? basket so you will benefit for the purchase of 5 SMD mr16 bulbs.

Regards and good weend
Christophe Martz

The future client wrote:Hello

Thank you for your very comprehensive answer. You feel that you know what you're talking about (not like some DIY superstores ...).

I will order 3 compact fluorescent and 1 SMD diode (to see what kind of lighting it gives because I do not know what gives LED lighting). If it suits us I would order the other 6.

See you soon.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 02/11/10, 17:06

Yes it is the loss of the transformers, the ferric transformers have a yield of the order of 70% which corresponds quite to your records.

Yes that's in charge.
You would have value when it is not in charge? because it heats a lot and I would like a rough estimate of losses
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/11/10, 17:15

Ben in "no load" the efficiency is at 0% (100% of losses) since the useful energy is null ... logical not?

For each power supply, the manufacturer should be able to provide a yield = f (Charge) curve but it is rare when it is given ...

For the electronic and stabilized power supplies it is much more constant it seems to me whatever the load: example https://www.econologie.com/shop/alimenta ... p-303.html
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 02/11/10, 17:24

Ben in "no load" the efficiency is at 0% (100% of losses) since the useful energy is null ... logical not?

Yes indeed good answer, impressive logic. But you will not get away with it : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

In fact more than the output, it is the consumption in "no load" which interests me.

So new question what is the consumption in "no load"?
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 02/11/10, 17:31

On a ferric (the heavy heavy double coil that become rare) as there is no current that passes, I presume it is actually 0W.

On the electronics, it must be a few watts ... I told you: without the precise datasheet of the power supply, you can not really know ... it depends on the technology used, the quality of the components, the nominal power ...

One thing is on: in general in electronics, the AC / AC transformers yield is higher than that of the AC / DC power supplies ... but it does not answer the question :)

Only here it can reassure you: usually we put the switch on the 230V AC part and not on the low voltage part, right?

As a result, power supplies are rarely powered without load.

The same can not be said of the small sector blocks for small electronics and all the toutim of portable phones that are often connected 24 / 24 365j / 365j behind a closet ... :|
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 02/11/10, 17:43

Christophe wrote:Only here it can reassure you: usually we put the switch on the 230V AC part and not on the low voltage part, right?
As a result, power supplies are rarely powered without load.
|

Well seen : Cheesy:
I just went to check the transformer is cold.

I have a little trouble today, the cause has a big weekend : Cheesy:
But I at least find a quote for posterity:
Aging is putting the week to recover from the weekend.

And there is a stroke of old ...

Anyway I'm reassured because I'm not bad at 12V and I did not want to eat for nothing.
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 02/11/10, 17:45

aerialcastor wrote:I have a little trouble today, the cause has a big weekend : Cheesy:
But I at least find a quote for posterity:
Aging is putting the week to recover from the weekend.

And there is a stroke of old ...

If it can reassure you, the same for us: big weend loaded (I would not say what nature was the load) and more schedule change ... pfff hard in the thirties ...
: Mrgreen:
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 02/11/10, 18:59

Uh my thirties I do not have it yet : Mrgreen:

And the change of time was in a good way ... not top as an excuse ...
Must say what is winter is here and the lack of Sun tired : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x

Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/11/10, 20:49

In a kitchen? If it is to light up the hob, I don't really see what could be appropriate, since Dedelco tells us that we should rather "cool" the LEDs, and for compact fluorescents, it's the cat, the mine have grilled one after the other, to such an extent that I wonder if the best would not be neon yet ...?

It was an area where incandescent lamps held rather the shock!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/10, 09:36

Obamot wrote:In a kitchen? If it is to light up the hob, I don't really see what could be appropriate, since Dedelco tells us that we should rather "cool" the LEDs, and for compact fluorescents, it's the cat, the mine have grilled one after the other, to such an extent that I wonder if the best would not be neon yet ...?

What is the relationship between cooking and grilling (except your steaks?). Do you take saunas in your kitchen? An LED which is not too boosted (and this is the case with SMDs, see the T ° measurements I made a few days ago on the SMD subject) does not pose any "overheating" problem.

Yes for neon (2 * 36W in 4000 ° K) that's what we have ... but they do not like more on / off than their compact equivalents.

Obamot wrote:It was an area where incandescent lamps held rather the shock!

This is probably because you take 1er fluo price or 1ere generation sensitive to ON / OFF ... try megaman ingenium on occasion ...
0 x