Irrigation and rationalization of crops

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Xenon64
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Xenon64 » 25/09/05, 19:41

The Southwest has become a favorite land for growing corn. Its generally mild and humid climate lends itself perfectly. The subsidies of the European Common Agricultural Policy have done the rest: corn mono-culture has invaded the region. That the outlets of the corn sector - animal feed especially - are running out, and we get out of the hat an unstoppable joker: corn can be used as raw material for the production of bio-ethanol, with a correct yield. What aggravate this "monopoly" crops ... Still, corn plants are water hungry. After a new year marked by drought, first winter and then summer, irrigation has been implemented on a large scale throughout the region; local authorities are careful not to generalize water restriction plans to agriculture. More than 60% of the water consumed during the summer period in the region has been used for irrigation (water curtains to cool plants, watering). On closer inspection, this massive irrigation, which caused a scandal in political circles, relayed by the Press, was sometimes completely anarchic and badly managed. Irrigation in the rain (because it rained), misdirected water jets watering the roads more than the plants. The gross wastage of water was evident to all who frequented the roads strewn with these crops.
There are, however, systems measuring the exssudation of plants (by difference in temperature and humidity between the soil and at the height of the plants). These systems, quite common in the US and known to irrigation professionals, can be used to control irrigation ramps and trigger watering when the plants are really "thirsty".
What are corn farmers waiting for to exploit them?
While the regional climate is moving towards hotter and drier summers (strong trend according to the Arpège-Climat model), will they persist in the long term in this irrational mono-culture or will they finally understand that can agriculture only be based on profits fueled by European subsidies? As for the government, it prefers to give in to lobbies and continues to promote this dead-end orientation rather than manage the changes ahead.

Errare humanum est, perseverare ...
0 x
rpsantina
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rpsantina » 25/09/05, 20:55

Xenon64 wrote:The Southwest has become a favorite land for growing corn. Its generally mild and humid climate is ideal for this. The subsidies of the European Common Agricultural Policy have done the rest: corn mono-culture has invaded the region. ...
What are corn farmers waiting for to exploit them?

Errare humanum est, perseverare ...

Ben subsidies ...: ph34r: :(

always in the quotes, here are three:
* Beati pauperes spiritu: blessed the poor in spirit.

* And nunc reges, intelligite ... erudimini, who judicatis terram: and now, you, the great ones of this world, educate yourself, you who decide the fate of the world!

and finally:
Whoever wears ears audiendi, audiat: whoever has ears to hear hears.
0 x
RPS (Dpt Tarn South 81)
i-Only those who do nothing are never wrong
ii-Anything is possible as long as a little time is spent there
Xenon64
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Xenon64 » 26/09/05, 20:25

Bravo for these citations of circumstance :D

In fact, a system for monitoring the evapotranspiration of plants amounts to 2-3 k € and 1 only one device is sufficient per cultivated field.
France has organized everything at European level since 40 years for French agriculture to be put under assistanat. This has allowed the government in place to secure an electorate fund. Now, it gives a layer under the guise of sustainable development. And everyone applauds. : blink:. If such a raises the finger and reports that we are going into the wall, he passes for a fool working against the general interest (see the shields of the political world this summer on the subject). Country of m ..
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."