New hydrogen production !!

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
claude07
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

New hydrogen production !!

by claude07 » 24/09/05, 19:14

The new hydrogen recipe: water, silane and Rhenium

Three researchers from the chemistry department of the University of Purdue (Indiana) discovered by chance a simple process of production of hydrogen gas which would solve the difficulties of storage of this gas for its implementation in on-board fuel cells.

It is by synthesizing silanol (common name of monomethyl silane triol, which has many applications in the cosmetic industry) by catalytic decomposition of organosilanes in the presence of water and a rhenium catalyst, that scientists have identified an unexpected reaction product, pure hydrogen gas.

They estimate that an equivolumetric mixture of 53 liters of organosilane and water can produce about 3 kilograms of hydrogen capable of propelling a vehicle over nearly 300 kilometers. The economic profitability of the process remains to be proven, however. The authors acknowledge that they have no idea of ​​the market effects induced by the massive production of organosilane and silanol.

Furthermore, this process does not remove the economic barrier which until now has hindered the implementation of fuel cells: the use of a catalyst using a rare metal.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/09/05, 19:16

Interesting but not applicable on a large scale therefore limited interest

Could you give the source of this info? Thank you
0 x
claude07
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by claude07 » 24/09/05, 19:31

the source is in the subtitle
0 x