Wind turbines - Some environmentalists protest

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Wind turbines - Some environmentalists protest

by recyclinage » 04/08/09, 11:53

More and more environmentalists are joining the anti-wind movement, denouncing what they consider to be a “sham”. Yves Vérilhac, former director of the regional natural park of the Ardèche mountains, explains their motivations.

Environmentalists signatory to a national petition (*) against wind turbines… absurd? Yet these protesters exist and are currently in full swing. A hundred of them demonstrated this weekend at Mont Gerbier-de-Jonc, in Ardèche, and the petition launched on the Net last Saturday continues to collect signatures, almost 1.800 to date. Among them, those of the humorist Yves Lecocq or the landscape designer Gilles Clément.

“This may indeed seem paradoxical coming from environmentalists, but because there is a nuance to be made, explains Yves Vérilhac, former director of the Parc des Monts d'Ardèche, at the origin of the sling. “We oppose the industrial establishment of wind turbines. However, I was in favor of it before, but when I was confronted with reality, I fell from my stool, ”he laments. His arguments are based on three components: ecological, economic and social.
[Sos Permit Stonebridge [campaign]]

“Wind turbines are disfiguring the French countryside. Some like it, some don't. But what would someone say to me if I said that I like the graffiti on the Romanesque chapels? And since this is in the general interest, why wouldn't we then build low-cost housing and factories in the middle of our landscapes?

We will destroy our landscapes and their specificities by standardizing the decor. We also regret the absence of the precautionary principle. We do not know what the impact of all these cumulative projects will be on flora and fauna. We already know, however, that on certain migration corridors, each wind turbine kills on average around XNUMX birds per year, often protected species. "
Not very productive

On the economic front, Yves Vérilhac rebels against the current system, which is fully centralized: “The energy produced by wind turbines near you is absolutely not used for your consumption. It leaves on the national and European network, and consequently multiplies energy losses and the establishment of high voltage lines to transport it. Not to mention that a wind turbine generally works only 20% of the time, 30% at best, and not necessarily when it is needed during peak consumption. "

And Yves Vérilhac to insist on the social consequences that would result from the massive installation of wind turbines. “The primary resources of the French countryside are agriculture and tourism. Who will still want to come and admire them when they are filled with these white columns that are three times the size of high-voltage lines? We have to stop making people believe that technologies can be entirely virtuous. This fantasy of perpetual movement and purity conveyed by the pro-wind turbines is unbearable. "
Change your habits

So what solution does this convinced ecologist offer? At the suggestion of nuclear power, he choked: “Between wind turbines and nuclear power, you might as well choose between the plague and cholera. The real solution lies in changing our behavior.

We could reduce our energy consumption by 10 to 15% by being careful. The other solution is in renewable energies, such as wind turbines, but at the local level. If you have a small wind turbine in your garden like you have a solar panel, you are independent and you use energy optimally. There is nothing to complain about. "

france evening news source
0 x
pb2487
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pb2487 » 04/08/09, 15:54

"" ".... More and more environmentalists are joining the anti-wind movement, ...." "

... Ah !! finally, ecologists who become rational and learn about things before being for or against. Like everything can change ... ;-)
0 x
vertderage
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by vertderage » 04/08/09, 16:58

I walk around a lot, I see not many wind turbines, and I find them less annoying than factories, highways and especially these awful commercial areas at the entrance of all cities with their roundabouts which make Brittany identical to Alsace or Perigord. And the carbon footprint of these things ...
So for wind turbines it's quite simple, we are not going to be able to put that much anyway, but you should know that off-shore it becomes less polluting for the eye, and that there are projects at sea, offshore, almost out of sight. On a large scale, like desertec for solar, it ends up having an indisputable interest: on the scale of a continent, there is always a lot of wind somewhere. It is part of the solution. The main thing is to increase the energy efficiency of everything, to waste less, to transport less, to no longer want to have everything for nothing ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/08/09, 18:32

Industrial wind power is part of one of the many solutions ... whoever says it's the only one is a con ... : Cheesy:

And I await concrete solutions proposed by those who violently oppose it ...

I am neither for nor against but it is less worse than if there was nothing ... obviously the money we could always put it in more effective solutions (insulation) but good ...

Double file post: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post135355.html#135355
0 x