Reopening of Welsh coal mines

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Reopening of Welsh coal mines

by Targol » 24/06/08, 10:40

While rising oil prices can have positive effects on GHG emissions, they also have much more perverse effects:
As a result of the expensive oil, the coal mines in Wales, closed by former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the 1980 years, are starting to reopen.
(Report: F. Thelma)

This is an image that Britain thought never to see again: workers who go down to the bottom of the coal mines. With a barrel of oil flirting with the 150 dollars, coal is once again a profitable energy and mining projects are flourishing again.

This mine in Wales is in the process of reopening and the men who work there are smiling again. For the time being, the mine has about sixty workers. In the near future, this figure should double. Short-term objective: to extract 1 million tons of coal per year for a planned exploitation over at least 20 years. Characteristic of the Galois coal: its very high purity.

Exploit coal in Wales: a technical feat, but also a snub to politics. In the middle of the 80 years, Margareth Thatcher, British Prime Minister at the time, launched a vast plan to close the mines. The crisis, of a rare violence, will last 9 months. In the end, the first lady of the country does not yield. The mines are closing. Margareth Thatcher affirms her image of "iron lady".

Today, coal in Britain is reborn from the ashes by breaking all the clichés. Because contrary to popular belief, coal has also become an almost green energy. But make no mistake, the golden age of coal is indeed behind him. In Great Britain, this energy windfall will be complementary. It will indeed be added to the development of nuclear, much more productive and very high priority.

source: France24

I do not know what you think of this sentence:
Because contrary to popular belief, coal has also become an almost green energy.

But, perso, I wonder where they pull that?
According to the exellent site of JM Jancovici, it's not really that (click on the image for the full article):
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding