Pesticide residues in wines

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Pesticide residues in wines

by bham » 06/04/08, 06:33

Pesticide residues in wine
The associations of the Pesticides Action Network Europe (PAN-Europe), including the MDRGF, publish the results of an analysis campaign carried out on wines from Europe and around the world and denounce the generalized contamination of these wines by residues of pesticides.

The Study. The study was coordinated by PAN-Europe, and supported by the MDRGF for France, Global 2000 for Austria and Greenpeace Germany. 40 bottles of red wine were analyzed, from France, Austria, Germany, Italy, Portugal, South Africa, Australia and Chile. 34 were from intensive farming and 6 from organic farming.

Results: 100% of wines from intensive agriculture tested contaminated. In fact, each tested sample contains on average more than 4 different pesticide residues: the most contaminated of them containing up to 10 pesticides!

Contamination level: 5800 times higher than for drinking water! The contamination levels in this study are variable and do not exceed the maximum authorized limits (MRLs). However, it should be noted that there is no wine MRL itself but that we refer to those used for grapes which are very high. It should also be noted that the contamination levels observed in wine are considerably higher than the levels tolerated for pesticides in water since we have found in certain wines tested quantities up to more than 5800 times greater than Maximum Admissible Concentrations (MAC) authorized by pesticide in tap water!

Sanitary risks. These numerous residues testify to a very intensive use of pesticides in viticulture. Among these residues found, many molecules are possible or probable carcinogens, developmental or reproductive toxicants, endocrine disruptors or even neurotoxicants.

Organic wines. The organic wines analyzed do not contain pesticide residues with the exception of a sample of Burgundy in which we found small quantities of a product. This presence is explained by the drift of sprays from neighboring plots. This contamination of organic wine growers, although rare and in small quantities, is completely unacceptable. Here it reminds me of something, a certain precautionary principle mentioned in GMO matters.

“The study carried out by PAN and the MDRGF shows that the very intensive use of pesticides in viticulture - 20% of pesticides used on 3% of the agricultural area - results in the systematic presence of numerous residues in wines. It is high time, in accordance with the Grenelle decisions, that viticulture reduce its consumption of pesticides to reduce exposure of consumers by favoring alternative techniques to pesticides. These are the alternative systems that the MDRGF is promoting during the 3rd pesticide-free week, which takes place from March 20 to 30. »Declares F. Veillerette, President of the MDRGF and administrator of the PAN-Europe network.

"In addition, representatives of the French government will have to do everything to ensure that European legislation on pesticides in preparation eliminates the most dangerous pesticides and favors systems that greatly reduce, or do without completely, these toxic substances" adds F. Veillerette .
download the full study:
http://www.mdrgf.org/pdf/Rapport_vin_pesticide_fr.pdf
Download the press release :
http://www.mdrgf.org/pdf/CP260306_Vin_residus.pdf
read the Liberation article of March 27:
http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/econ ... 823.FR.php

Knowing that the MRL (maximum residue limit) authorized in viticulture is 5800 times higher than that authorized in water, and in view of this study on wines, what about grape juice that we can to drink or that we can give our children to drink?
The grapes are pressed with their skin, the pesticide residues go directly into the juice. And we are of course entitled to ask the question, by extension, for all other fruit juices.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/04/08, 10:18

I'm sad. I only had the pinard left.
----
Well, here is another documented alert, coming from an association.
What about the opinion of the French health authorities?
What about the opinion of the French health watch services?
And of their possible action to stop the massacre?

What slab!

This is what despairs me ...
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 06/04/08, 10:29

gegyx wrote:This is what despairs me ...

You just have to ... drink pinard to drown your despair! :D

A report on the subject appeared at JT 13H of FR2 on Tuesday April 1: http://jt.france2.fr/13h/index-fr.php?jt=4
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 06/04/08, 23:09

Professor Belpomme of Montpellier has said it for years: he explains many cancers and other hormonal disorders by the presence of pesticides in food and drink. There is also the danger linked to dioxin from even modern incinerators, PCBs in freshwater fish, heavy metals in marine fish, particles from car exhausts, in particular diesel ... etc. the list is very long all the chemical additives Exxx et cie contained in industrial food: a real time bomb worse than asbestos because everyone is concerned. : Evil:

One wonders if it is not tap water that is the most natural.

For fruits it seems that pesticides are concentrated in the skin; so peel the fruit well before consumption.

We live in a dangerous world.

Eating organic products is good, but the price is unaffordable. I looked in an organic mag that has just opened near my home, it's overpriced. How can small budgets that do not fare even with the low prices of LIDL or equivalent do it?
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 07/04/08, 07:50

I saw a program on the subject: eat 5 fruits and vegetables / day, vary the maximum ........ pesticides : Shock: : Shock: it's official, they are everywhere, only good thing, they make men sterile !! civilization coming to an end? another generation or two ???
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 07/04/08, 09:02

martien007 wrote:
For fruits it seems that pesticides are concentrated in the skin; so peel the fruit well before consumption.

We live in a dangerous world.

Eating organic products is good, but the price is unaffordable. I looked in an organic mag that has just opened near my home, it's overpriced.

The problem is that more than half of the vitamins in a fruit are concentrated in the little or just below ... peeling them is therefore certainly not a solution ...
I buy organic fruit and vegetables very often and I find the prices generally fairly reasonable ... provided that you buy seasonal fruit ... on the other hand, organic producers, on the pretext that they make organic produce, do not hesitate to deliver unripe fruit, in particular pineapple which is a fruit which can only ripen on the plant ...
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 07/04/08, 10:54

denis wrote:I saw a program on the subject: eat 5 fruits and vegetables / day, vary the maximum ........ pesticides : Shock: : Shock: it's official, they are everywhere, only good thing, they make men sterile !! civilization coming to an end? another generation or two ???

INTERFEL or interprofessional association of fresh fruits and vegetables even recommended to eat 10 kinds of fruits and / or vegetables per day http://www.10parjour.net/site/pages/home/index.php
So I contacted them to ask them:
"Eat 10fruits / vegetables / day, why not but what about pesticide residues? When you know that apples receive more than 20 treatments, for example, how can you encourage your children to eat them knowing the risks involved?
Thank you for your objective response. "
They answered me :
You are writing to us because you are concerned about the potential presence of pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables and in apples in particular.

First of all, know that the daily consumption of fruits and vegetables in general and of the apple in particular, is associated with a protective effect on health and in no case with deleterious effects. All the scientific studies available around the world indicate that the biggest consumers of fruits and vegetables benefit from protection against many diseases (cancers, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, etc.).

This is how the French national and international recommendations (WHO) are for a consumption of at least 400 g per day.

Pesticide residues are subject to strict regulations, and French law is one of the most demanding. (beanbag, beanbag : Lol: ) Pesticide residues potentially present must meet strict standards allowing daily consumption without risk to health.

It is recommended, however for obvious hygienic reasons, to rinse fruits and vegetables with clean water before consumption. This cleaning also reduces potential pesticide residues.We hope that this data will encourage you to continue to make room for fresh fruit and vegetables for you and your children in your daily diet.

To come back to what says chatam, I contacted the MDRGF, association which fights against pesticides, I was told that at the level of apples, pesticides could be present up to 5mm below the skin. So in effect, preferably opt for organic, so that demand increases and prices fall. It is one of the ways to marginalize pesticides.
Strawberries, grapes, ... are the fruits that make us consume the most pesticides since we do not peel them.
What about yoghurts and strawberry compotes, grape juice ...?
See also the subject https://www.econologie.com/forums/post77138.html#77138 About that.
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 07/04/08, 13:45

no pesticides on strawberries! !!! stop the paranoid! , but it's a big problem, and the answer: washing apples is ridiculous! apart from recent pollution (heavy rain, etc.)
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/04/08, 15:12

for info GMOs it is the same: it is not so much the contamination of the environment which will take place if nothing is done in terms of pollution, but especially the pesticides which remain in the product in fact: because they are those that must be put from + to + in the plant (since it is less and less resistant), without counting those that the plant already produces (since it has been modified).

otherwise to reduce the products on vegetables: just eat ORGANIC! it's so much better! well before it was natural, now nature is so weak (natural or artificial selection?) that you have to put some product ... a little sad all the same ...
good for some so-called organic products some are polluted by the activities nearby (we don't stop the wind like that) like flying pesticides etc ...

to wash them baking soda is advised: it cleans thoroughly. you have to put it on your hands if I remember correctly and wash the fruit. baking soda is naturally good for the body ;-)
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 07/04/08, 16:15

It is recommended, however for obvious hygienic reasons, to rinse fruits and vegetables with clean water before consumption. This cleaning also reduces potential pesticide residuesWe hope that this data will encourage you to continue to leave plenty of room for fresh fruits and vegetables for you and your children in your daily diet.

No matter what, it is useless to wash the fruits with water, on the other hand with bicarbonate it should be able to analyze the skin after handling.
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."