Econology in practice in a small town

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Econology in practice in a small town

by Targol » 17/03/08, 10:29

Hi everybody.

The second round of the municipal elections has just ended and your servant has been re-elected ... but this one in the majority. : Mrgreen:

You can imagine - for those who know me a little - that it was not by looking for the glory that I agreed to present myself.
My goal was obviously to see what could be done for the environment in a small town (+/- 2000h).

I already have a few ideas but, if that tells you, I suggest you discuss together any idea that can be achieved in this context.

For now, I have in mind:
  • Eradication of pesticides from the town,
  • Incentives for ecological construction either in the form of bonuses (if the budget allows it) or by refusing building permits that do not comply with certain rules (rainwater harvesting, solar water heaters, ...),
  • Pantonisation or HVBtisation of municipal vehicles,
  • Distribution of composters,

Here, I know that this fofo is full of people full of good will and good ideas, for my part I have a small "lab" to set up the solutions. There is no doubt a way to move in the right direction ...

To frame the discussions a bit, I still give you some useful info:
  • 2000h village 40Km from Bordeaux,
  • Road, waste, etc. skills transferred to the community of municipalities (but voice in the discussions and decisions of the CDC)
  • Many new developments in recent years, mostly inhabited by people working on the Bordeaux agglomeration.
  • A population not necessarily very aware or very open to ecological questions
  • A patchwork village with a village and many hamlets scattered over the 5000ha of the town.

Here.
Currently, apart from recycling for individuals, the land is completely virgin in terms of ecology, so there is everything to do. Image

I count on you : Cheesy:
Last edited by Targol the 17 / 03 / 08, 12: 39, 2 edited once.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/08, 10:51

Little dungeon goes! I ignored this :)

Congratulations already and, before launching into the "concrete", I think that your title should be more explicit of the style: "The 1st elected econologist" or something of the kind :) :)

For ideas, nothing to add except: municipal experiment with micro algae and / or miscanthus !
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 17/03/08, 11:02

Christophe wrote:Little dungeon goes! I ignored this :)

Boaf, I had said it more or less, but as before, I was in the opposition (partial municipal 1 year ago), I could not do much. It allowed me to prowl the running of a town ... now I can get down to business !!!

Christophe wrote:Congratulations already and, before launching into the "concrete", I think that your title should be more explicit of the style: "The 1st elected econologist" or something of the kind :) :)

Thank you for the "boxer shorts" : Mrgreen:
Is it better for the title?

Christophe wrote:For ideas, nothing to add except: municipal experiment with micro algae and / or miscanthus !

Uhhh, at the budget level, are you sure it's playable?
What is needed?
Glass tubes to grow algae, a press to extract the oil, how much does it cost?
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 17/03/08, 11:03

Congratulations Targol, and thank you for "associating" us a little with your projects.

The first question that comes to me is whether the rest of the majority also have an ecological sensitivity?
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/03/08, 11:04

Hello, the chosen one? :D

Good luck because managing the budget of a small French commune is not easy: you just have to calculate the number of km of roads per inhabitant, among others.

I repeat your words:

* Eradication of pesticides from the town,

OK for the works department, but for the rest what is the legal framework: as long as there is none you will not be able to do much.
* Incentives for ecological construction either in the form of bonuses (if the budget allows it) or by refusing building permits that do not comply with certain rules (rainwater harvesting, solar water heaters, ...),

There is not already state aid? In Belgium, some municipalities are ticklish about the preliminary impact study to many projects.
* Pantonisation or HVBtisation of municipal vehicles,
Not won in advance ...
Often in the communes, money is thrown out of the window heating issue: regulation, programming, remote control, modification of the installations, insulation, installation of thermostatic valves, of push valves
* Distribution of composters,

In my town, Charleroi, we push people to buy composters (why would the town not offer a group purchase) but we train "compost advisers" in the neighborhoods, often very sympathetic pensioners, whom the inhabitants can consult free "as a neighbor"

I think the key to success is COMMUNICATION
First of all, I would make an inventory of the assets of the town. If you could give me his name, possibly in MP. [/ I]
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/08, 11:08

Yes it's better for the title (except the ... that I would remove for you).

For miscanthus, you're kidding it doesn't cost much (I have doc documents being downloaded above) and it's the equivalent of 6 to 7000 L of fuel oil per ha ... the ROI is 2 to 3 years!

Now you have to have a market but nothing prevents making pellets of miscanthus :) :) In fact we would have to find a motivated farmer who could use his land in fallow land.

Have a look at this document: https://www.econologie.com/informations- ... -3431.html

Can I put you in touch with professionals specializing in miscanthus if you want?

For algae, it is more problematic both in terms of costs and technology than in certainty of results ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 17/03/08, 12:39

Christine wrote:Congratulations Targol, and thank you for "associating" us a little with your projects.

The first question that comes to me is whether the rest of the majority also have an ecological sensitivity?

Thank you for the congratulations.
In terms of associating you, (note that I don't put quotes in it), it seems normal to me to seek skills and experience where it is located : Wink:

Regarding my running mates, I was clear from the start: "I come to take care of the environment". The answer was just as clear "that's why we came to get you" ...
So, I should have some possibilities even if not all my running mate have knowledge and culture of the environment.

elephant wrote:Hello, the chosen one? :D

elephant wrote:Good luck because managing the budget of a small French commune is not easy: you just have to calculate the number of km of roads per inhabitant, among others.

Houlaaa, there is a flavor there.
Me, it's the environment. For the budget, there are a few retirees on my list who will have more time and skills than that for me !!!

elephant wrote:I repeat your words:

* Eradication of pesticides from the town,

OK for the works department, but for the rest what is the legal framework: as long as there is none you will not be able to do much.

Indeed, you do well to specify it, it is indeed a question of removing the pesticides used by the employees of the municipality by replacing them either by boiling water treatments, or by portable "flares".
As for individuals, I am not sure that a municipality has the right to prohibit them.
In addition, there are lots of winegrowers in my town (many of whom use pesticides).
If we tried to ban them, we would quickly take a shot.
The goal, for individuals and growers is more to encourage them but that is my wife's job who is coordinator of the collective of alternatives to pesticides in Gironde : Arrow: we attack each one by a different way, but the goal is the same !!!

elephant wrote:
* Incentives for ecological construction either in the form of bonuses (if the budget allows it) or by refusing building permits that do not comply with certain rules (rainwater harvesting, solar water heaters, ...),

There is not already state aid? In Belgium, some municipalities are ticklish about the preliminary impact study to many projects.

There are state aids on a certain number of these items of equipment, but that does not prevent adding a little more.

elephant wrote:
* Pantonisation or HVBtisation of municipal vehicles,
Not won in advance ...
Often in the communes, money is thrown out of the window heating issue: regulation, programming, remote control, modification of the installations, insulation, installation of thermostatic valves, of push valves

There I fully agree:
  • On the modification of vehicles, it will be necessary to overcome the potential resistance of municipal employees and be sure of the reliability (because as soon as there is a breakdown, it risks being attributed to the modifications).
  • on the various waste and waste of municipal services, there too, we will have to do an "audit" to see what can be done. In my opinion, there is a way to save a lot.

elephant wrote:
* Distribution of composters,

In my town, Charleroi, we push people to buy composters (why would the town not offer a group purchase) but we train "compost advisers" in the neighborhoods, often very sympathetic pensioners, whom the inhabitants can consult free "as a neighbor"

There too, I follow you completely, purchase, partial reimbursement, training, everything is to be studied.

elephant wrote:I think the key to success is COMMUNICATION

And yes, the first step towards the environment is knowledge. Explaining our choices in a didactic way is the only solution to successfully gain the support of the population.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 17/03/08, 12:44

Christophe wrote:Yes it's better for the title (except the ... that I would remove for you).

Ay :D

Christophe wrote:For miscanthus, you're kidding it doesn't cost much (I have doc documents being downloaded above) and it's the equivalent of 6 to 7000 L of fuel oil per ha ... the ROI is 2 to 3 years!

Now you have to have a market but nothing prevents making pellets of miscanthus :) :) In fact we would have to find a motivated farmer who could use his land in fallow land.

Have a look at this document: https://www.econologie.com/informations- ... -3431.html

Can I put you in touch with professionals specializing in miscanthus if you want?

For algae, it is more problematic both in terms of costs and technology than in certainty of results ...

I'm already going to look at the link you put and try to digest it all.
In all cases, the first step will be to review the existing, identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate developments.

I will also look at the level of "agenda 21". I think this approach should make it possible to formalize all that a bit.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/08, 12:54

[spam mode on] Speaking of auditing and energy waste, do your municipal premises have 100% fluorescent bulbs ... otherwise we can help you solve this, huh ... : roll: : roll: : roll:[spam off mode]
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 17/03/08, 13:05

Christophe wrote:[spam mode on] Speaking of auditing and energy waste, do your municipal premises have 100% fluorescent bulbs ... otherwise we can help you solve this, huh ... : roll: : roll: : roll:[spam off mode]

Beware, Christophe, you're firing commercial : Lol:
However, I keep the idea: transfer the incandescent bulbs during the next orders.
0 x