Oil and Gas Search: Geo Challenger Ship

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Oil and Gas Search: Geo Challenger Ship

by jean63 » 01/03/08, 12:22

Seen last night in Thalassa:

Geo challenger: in pursuit of black gold

A report by Herlé Jouon
A France 3 Thalassa / Grand Angle production

The Geo Challenger, 90m, one of the many vessels in the Compagnie Générale de Géophysique fleet. He travels the seas in search of funds rich in oil and gas. It is a true floating factory with more than 50 crew members. Some do not see the light of day because they compile the data collected by the seismic sensors pulled behind the ship; the others must have an eye on both whales and fishermen who might get in the way of the boat. Let's explore the first of the seismic vessels.

http://www.thalassa.france3.fr/index-fr ... e=emission

I think I remember that they explore the seabed up to 70 km deep, a kind of very precise ultrasound ....... results provided to oil groups.

According to the scientists on board, they find and will find a lot of them and that may change the date of peak-oil : Shock:

It is not for tomorrow that it will no longer have oil or gas to exploit, so renewable energies will have difficulty "breaking through".
: Shock:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/03/08, 12:24

1) 70 km deep? Bigre! :) The absolute record for a borehole is, I believe, 13km ... on dry land ...

Isn't it 7km rather?

2) Obviously peak oil is not for tomorrow ... it's been a while since Janco told us (and I repeat).

Peak oil is a deceptive argument for oil companies to keep prices high (good for econology but it's still a lie) ... just like China which supposedly engulfs all the world's oil when in reality it must consume 1/10 to 1/5 of the consumption of the USA ...

CApitAli $ m € does not seem to rhyme with intellectual honesty ...

3) Go live Geo Challenger ... such a beautiful name for such a shitty cause ... : Shock:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 01/03/08, 13:34

1) 70 km deep? Bigre! The absolute record for a borehole is, I believe, 13km ... on dry land ...

Isn't it 7km rather?

yes yes, there I screwed up by typing the depth! too bad we can't see the report again except buy the video, but there is eg information on the internet.

It's pretty impressive their system: they drag lines of several km behind the boat.

http://www0.cgg.com/corporate/news/2006 ... er_fr.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... %3D1I7GGLR
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Remundo

by Remundo » 01/03/08, 16:56

Ah yes ... I saw it all too ...

What bothers me is seeing the dough and the hard work we do to get oil out of the earth, which will pollute cities and create a greenhouse effect when it is enough to take the solar power and use it well ...

See the forum hyperthermic trap of direct solar radiation in my signature for the curious.

@+
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."