JT 20h FR2 02 / 12: Indonesia 3e global transmitter of CO2

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

JT 20h FR2 02 / 12: Indonesia 3e global transmitter of CO2

by jean63 » 03/12/07, 16:37

I knew they were heavily deforesting in Indonesia to plant oil palms (which can be used in food or as HVB for diesels .... by the Germans now?), But at this point it is unbelievable !!

http://jt.france2.fr/20h/index-fr.php?jt=0

click on "Bali: deforestation" almost at the end of the newspaper.

They have to replant, but how many decades will it take to make up for what has been destroyed.

Well, at home I have a problem, I only have advertising, whereas a few weeks ago, it was going well. Is it the same for you in which case, I will notify the webmaster of the site?

There is eg a bug because they put the newspaper online at the same time as on TV since last week.
Last edited by jean63 the 04 / 12 / 07, 11: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 03/12/07, 18:20

At home, I can read without problem.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 04/12/07, 11:26

bham wrote:At home, I can read without problem.

At home too it works now without touching anything.

I watched this report because I had missed it a bit on TV.

This deforestation sends more CO2 than the GLOBAL transport emissions combined : Evil: ... and as the palm trees store much less CO2 than the destroyed primary forest .... look for the error.

We are really in a bad way to curb this human madness, because here too palm oil, the Chinese and other newcomers in the world of consumption will want more and more.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/07, 12:50

I can't read because of MerdiaPlayer10 which I refuse to install on the other hand:

This deforestation sends more CO2 than the GLOBAL transport emissions combined

Uh ... already it seems huge to me but in addition if it is CO2 from the combustion of wood, the balance is zero ...
If it is CO2 equivalent to CH4 from rotting soil, it is different.

The nuance is important (I doubt that journalists know how to do it ...).

Then: we must reason not in absolute but in Tons of CO2 per capita OR per $ of GDP created... and there it seems to me that Indonesia is not so bad ...

Reminds me of a calculation I made some time ago on forums I will try to find it ...
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 04/12/07, 14:39

I can't read because of MerdiaPlayer10 which I refuse to install on the other hand:

Why ? can't you get it back like it has already been done for other videos?

no time to report them, but there are lots of interesting reports in the news.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/07, 14:44

Because it's kro $ oft microbial shit stuffed with spyware and making PCs row!

Pkoi installing video viewing software should be 20MB (maybe even more) while some make it a few hundred KB?

For the recovery I can ask MisterLoxo (he is the video engineer of the site :) )
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 04/12/07, 15:11

Christophe wrote:Because it's kro $ oft microbial shit stuffed with spyware and making PCs row!

Pkoi installing video viewing software should be 20MB (maybe even more) while some make it a few hundred KB?

For the recovery I can ask MisterLoxo (he is the video engineer of the site :) )

there I want to believe you ............... it is to sell more recent and more powerful PCs and therefore to renew the park (the business what ...).

OK, ask misterloxo, good idea.

In Thalassa, a report last Friday on a city in India which "recycles" PCs from all over the world ...... not beautiful to see and especially to breathe for them (heavy metals and co). There we realize the aberration of our system of overconsumption intended to absorb an overproduction at low cost from Asian countries ...... and it comes back to them very quickly (given that new more "efficient" models ?? !! come out every few months) in the form of waste (you have to fill the gigantic container ships on the way back to Asia) !!! : Evil:

I don't remember exactly, it would be necessary to write everything down, they talked about 4000 tons of waste PC type, such laptops etc ... with major electronic content, per minute in the world (not sure about the time unit, but it shocked me).

It is like stepping on the accelerator when approaching a concrete wall instead of braking. : Evil:
Last edited by jean63 the 04 / 12 / 07, 15: 44, 1 edited once.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 04/12/07, 15:33

Christophe wrote:I can't read because of MerdiaPlayer10 which I refuse to install on the other hand:

This deforestation sends more CO2 than the GLOBAL transport emissions combined

Uh ... already it seems huge to me but in addition if it is CO2 from the combustion of wood, the balance is zero ...
If it is CO2 equivalent to CH4 from rotting soil, it is different.

The nuance is important (I doubt that journalists know how to do it ...).

Then: we must reason not in absolute but in Tons of CO2 per capita OR per $ of GDP created... and there it seems to me that Indonesia is not so bad ...

Reminds me of a calculation I made some time ago on forums I will try to find it ...

This is what the N. Hulot Foundation says:
Fight against deforestation
Deforestation is a major source of greenhouse gases. It is responsible for around 20% of emissions
global. It is caused by several factors, such as the conversion of forests to agricultural land, illegal logging of
wood, or the production of agrofuels. Some developing countries, such as Papua New Guinea or
Costa Rica, proposed in 2005 that the climate change negotiations consider the implementation of a
mechanism for protecting forests to prevent their destruction and the release into the atmosphere of large quantities of
carbon they have stored. This proposal is currently under study, and should lead to decisions in Bali for
finally respond to this issue.

They do not specify the exact cause.
What I understood is the result of the destruction by fire on the spot of branches or perhaps whole trees to make way for the planting of palm trees. There may also be a release of methane from the soils (peatlands that they dry up by drainage !!).
What a colossal loss of biomass storing carbon that could be used to heat part of the planet. This CO2 emitted is useless because it allows nothing other than deforestation.
I do not believe that we should reason at the level of Indonesia but globally since their exotic woods are used to manufacture our doors and windows, garden furniture, etc. and their palm oil, they also export it to our countries.
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 04/12/07, 21:26

ok I'm on the spot ...
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 04/12/07, 23:21

Misterloxo wrote:ok I'm on the spot ...

While you're at it, there is also the FR3 evening 3 news from 04/12/07:
deforestation (continued) + interview with Jean Jouzel to resolve this problem of deforestation in poor countries.

JT not yet online ............ go to the FR3 site.

thanks to you.
0 x