GM transgenic corn grower commits suicide

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
goodeco
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

GM transgenic corn grower commits suicide

by goodeco » 06/08/07, 12:14

A transgenic maize farmer commits suicide before an anti-GMO picnic.

A corn plan and a flyer calling for the demonstration near his farm were found at the foot of the tree where he hanged himself.

A farmer-farmer in the Lot who sowed transgenic maize committed suicide while hanging on a tree in his field in Girac, near Bretenoux, where anti-GM protesters planned to organize an anti-GMO picnic on Sunday. .

This pig farmer, aged 46, married with four children, phoned Sunday morning 8h30 the gendarmerie announcing that he was going to kill himself. A corn plan and a flyer calling for the demonstration near his farm were found at the foot of the tree where he hanged himself.

The Ministers of Ecology and Agriculture, Jean-Louis Borloo and Michel Barnier, sent their condolences to the breeder's family. They launched "a common appeal for appeasement and dignity for all players in the debate on GMOs". The two ministers recalled in a press release "that the question of GMOs remains open in our country. It is not settled and can only be at the end of a real debate of society, in a serene climate, during which all points of view can be heard.

Opening of an investigation

The prosecutor's office of Cahors has opened an investigation to investigate the causes of death, even if the suicide is not in doubt. The prefect of the Lot, Marcelle Pierrot, went on the farm to meet the family. She also spoke with anti-GMO activists.

The anti-GMO picnic, near GMO corn crops sown by the breeder-farmer for animal feed, was canceled at the last moment, when anti-GMO activists learned of the farmer's death. "We were not there to mow but to provoke a debate on GMOs", explained Patrice Vidieu, the spokesperson for the Confédération paysanne du Lot, one of the movements that organized the picnic.

Source the figaros of 05 / 08 / 07:here

I find it more and more distressing how public authorities can say nothing and do nothing.
In addition, they tend to let people stand against each other.
: Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
In eternal learning
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/08/07, 12:21

Yes Goodeco and it's funny how this figaro article is trying to do to make the anti-GMOs feel guilty, worse to pass them off as murderers ... : Evil:

I have unfortunately already been confronted with a case of suicide and I can tell you that there is NEVER a single cause... and surely not a demonstration against GMO ... it even becomes laughable ...

In this case, I think, it should rather the financial side (surendemenent for example ...) or commitments that the farmer had made with Monsanto ...

I also like the "GMO question remains open" whereas apparently it was more an experimental culture ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 06/08/07, 12:38

Borloo wrote:the issue of GMOs remains open

It's funny as some advocate openness in this case (when the victim is on the side of GMO planters) but that the greatest firmness is in the other direction (police devices, arrests, prison sentences and exemplary fines, ...). : Evil:

Even if I find this suicide deplorable, I quite agree with Christophe: if the GMO demonstration had to be the spark that set fire to the powders, I doubt that it alone justifies the suicide of a man. family father.

It would surprise me that Le Figaro would do the same type of article if an organic farmer was to do the same following pollution of its plots by GMO pollen ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/08/07, 12:40

And the number of beekeepers more or less ruined by Gaucho and Regent eh? If it is there were also dead ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 07/08/07, 00:03

:frown: In agreement with what is said above, I point out that when ministers state that the issue of GMOs remains open, they mean: "Remain open to seed companies".
Indeed, our officials have done nothing against GMOs, have not respected the precaution precaution, have been satisfied with the studies provided by manufacturers. At the same time European labs were deprived of subsidies because their research demonstrated the toxicity of GMOs ... I remind you that France remains one of the last European countries not to have banned them ... : Evil:
We can also consider that our ministers have their share of responsibility ...
0 x
ThierrySan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by ThierrySan » 07/08/07, 07:03

So that the question remains open, it should already be posed publicly! It seems to me that when it was put to the mayors, the 3 / 4 were against ...

In addition, I do not call an open question, a subject left to the abandonment and good wishes of everyone ... especially when it is always one way for operators of GM parcels. Will we ever talk about diseases caused by GMO poisoning ?! Or will we still like asbestos ?!

This suicide is unfortunate, but as you say above, I also think it hides something else, like financial difficulties ...
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 07/08/07, 09:39

There are some things that pose a problem to me:

investigative work ....
The journalists barely interrogate the family to understand.
And yet the subject GMO is sensitive

A corncob and the tract ..... if it does not feel the staging, I do not know.

not to mention that the figaro is held by an industrialist.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 07/08/07, 12:21

Ah what good to argue, make assumptions and acts of contrition.
The information given by the media is always distorted, truncated, or used as bait.
At 46 years and four children, we do not commit suicide because an associative group will come picnicking near his field, doing the mess against GMOs ... There are other reasons.
To say that the case was mounted in this direction? Given the news, we can not say anything.
On the other hand, there is a connection between death and today's protests (which have been important in many parts of France and so much the better). And that's outrageous.

Let's keep basic, and take the information as it comes to us:
"A farmer farmer of GMOs, hanged himself".
Surely remorse, having finally understood that it polluted the land of his ancestors, and that of his entourage. That he had indebted uselessly, because the financial results were not at all mirrored, that the process was irreversible.
There is also shame because his wife did not know that he was planting GMOs ...

Conclusion : GMOs are not good, it pollutes, destroys, ruins, and kills families.
0 x
toto65
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by toto65 » 10/08/07, 00:13

0 x
goodeco
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by goodeco » 10/08/07, 11:13

gegyx wrote:Conclusion : GMOs are not good, it pollutes, destroys, ruins, and kills families.

: Shock: Yes but no : Shock:

I suggest you watch 2 videos, it's a long but I strongly advise you to understand what is the use of GMOs.
November 10 2005 Conference
Christian Vélot researcher in molecular genetics on GMOs.
Part 1 duration: 39.22 minutes
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpwco_ ... ur-les-ogm
Part 2 duration: 46.25 minutes
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpync_ ... ur-les-ogm
0 x
In eternal learning