The image of the United States in the world continues to deteriorate

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The image of the United States in the world continues to deteriorate

by Targol » 28/06/07, 11:29

The image of the United States continues to decline in many parts of the world, according to an international poll, the results of which were released Wednesday, June 27. The survey conducted by the Pew Research Center - the "Pew Global Attitudes Project" - observes the evolution of opinions in 47 countries since 2002. The survey was conducted by telephone and face-to-face with 45 people. In each of the countries, the samples ranged from 000 to 500 people.

It appears that in 2007, the image of the United States deteriorated in 26 out of 33 countries where the comparison could be made, and this in sometimes considerable proportions. The phenomenon is particularly sensitive in Turkey, an ally of the United States and a member of NATO, where only 9% of those questioned have a favorable perception of the United States and the Middle East, with a rate of 13% in the territories Palestinians. Lebanon is an exception with 47% positive perception.

THE IMAGE OF CHINA IS DAMAGING

Resentment is also growing among countries allied with Washington for a long time, where a large proportion of the population questioned believes that the United States pursues above all its own interest. In Germany, only 30% have a favorable image of the country, compared to 42% two years ago. In France, 39% of those questioned have a good image of the United States, compared to 62% in the summer of 2002. It is still better than in 2003, after the start of the war in Iraq, where only 31 % of the French were still Americanophiles.

In the United Kingdom and Canada, the balance remains positive but the gap is narrowing. The United States also remains popular in Africa with, for example, 88% of favorable opinions in Côte d'Ivoire.

Anti-Americanism does not have the wind in its sails, since the Venezuelan Hugo Chavez and the Iranian Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are not very popular and that Osama bin Laden is perceived positively only in the Palestinian territories only (57%) .

Like the United States, China is seeing its image deteriorate. Its growing economic dominance and military might hurt its international reputation. Thus, opinions unfavorable to Beijing are the majority in Western Europe (France, Germany, Italy).

"A KIND OF NIHILIST FEELING"

Vladimir Putin's Russia is also in decline, especially in Europe. In Germany, 75% of those questioned had a good opinion of the Russian president in 2003; in 2007, they were only 32%.

"To believe this poll, the international system as we know it has collapsed," commented former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright at the press conference presenting this study. "The lack of confidence in the dominant international powers is worrying," she said. "It's a kind of nihilistic feeling," she added to characterize the movements of opinion recorded by this study.

Another trend noted by the Pew Research Center, the importance taken by global warming and other environmental issues in public opinion, which are now top of the priorities before nuclear proliferation and AIDS. Also in environmental matters, the United States is the country most often denounced for its negative influence.

What I find particularly interesting in this article of world.fris that the more global warming challenges men, the more the image of the US deteriorates. Even if this is not the only cause, far from it, it may encourage American leaders to question their ostrich policy on this subject ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/06/07, 12:51

This is what happens to dirty bourgeois capitalist exploiters of the poor people!

But I think that as long as they don't lose too much money they don't care ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/06/07, 12:57

Are coca cola sales following these figures? They should ...
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 28/06/07, 13:47

I don't understand how the image of the USA can still deteriorate; on most of the planet it's been a long time since it existed; only hatred remains.

see south america, asia and i don't even talk about the middle east.

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Other

by Other » 28/06/07, 16:36

Hello
Christophe wrote:Are coca cola sales following these figures? They should ...

You forgot the Mac DO (what José the Gallic mustachioed think)

Do not judge a people but their administration ..
Especially when democracy is close to 50%
it is the observation that we make almost in all the elections now, the voters are divided and it is the media which decide (rather those who control the media or those who own the media. Journalists are nothing but mercenaries paid to tell us what their boss wants us to understand ..

Andre
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The image of the United States in the world continues to deteriorate

by Obamot » 23/03/23, 00:30

IMG_20230323_001911_559.jpg
IMG_20230323_001911_559.jpg (71.13 KIO) Viewed 1262 times
- "We see growing threats from China, especially in the Indo-Pacific. We feel like we're not moving fast enough to build a bigger navy»
U.S. Representative Mike Gallagher said.
I see, it's still China getting closer "dangerously" US warships and bases? (And apart from that, what the hell are they doing here? What if China built bases in Mexico? Deployed its fleet off New York...?)

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/23, 00:38

Aren't you tired of talking about things we can't control anyway?

Technical subjects that we want!!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 23/03/23, 00:41

Start by giving me back access to my PM thank you
Locked without any reason (quite the contrary)

And maybe I'll be nice : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/03/23, 00:44

To do what ? You don't need it anymore...

And if you're mean you won't get anything here... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 23/03/23, 00:51

Ah so implicitly you just recognized that
"I wasn't mean"

We struggle to follow eh...(hin, hin)
Basically...
You want me to be "hyper-pissed" for no reason! lol

What is all this madness today?????
I did absolutely nothing, zero, nada, nothing!
You got peanuts, don't even try : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."