A beekeeper summarily summoned a GM farmer

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
goodeco
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

A beekeeper summarily summoned a GM farmer

by goodeco » 05/04/07, 16:13

0 x
In eternal learning
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 05/04/07, 18:54

I put the content here:

Thursday April 5, 2007, updated at 14:44 p.m.
A beekeeper has summoned an Reuters GMO cultivator

A beekeeper in Lot-et-Garonne asked the judge for interim measures in Marmande in Lot-et-Garonne to preventively prohibit the next seeds of transgenic maize from a farmer who had already received the visit of Volunteer Reapers.

The judge reserved his decision until May 24.

The plaintiff, Maurice Coudoin, argued the commercial and environmental damage caused to him by Claude Menara's BT corn plantations on his property in Grezet-Cavagnan near Marmande.

Supported by associations of organic and environmental farmers as well as the National Beekeeping Syndicate, Maurice Coudoin's lawyer, Me Thierry Roux, based his request on an experiment carried out in 2006 by an organic farming development group. around Claude Menara's property.

This had shown that three hives had been "contaminated" at a rate of 40% in the one located at 400 meters and between 40 and 50% for another located at 1.200 meters, but the content of transgenic DNA detected was "unquantifiable" at 1.500 meters.

The study also specified that the three corn plots had a contamination rate which reached from 0,3% DNA 15 meters from the "source" to 0,1% at 95 meters but for the third at 305 meters, GMOs were "detectable but not quantifiable".

"In front of the imminent sowing, we have come to tell you that we are in front of an imminent danger", declared Me Roux specifying that the fundamental debate on GMOs had no place at this hearing.

Me Roux recalled that this trial had two reasons for being: "the absence of a moratorium on GMOs and the near arrival of seeds" planned for the month of April.

Me Philip Gaffet, council of the National Beekeeping Union, also asked for a "measure of expertise to determine the consequences" of transgenic seeds on the food of bee larvae threatened in the medium term according to him of a modification genetic.

Claude Menara's lawyer Me Maï Le Prat, considered that if there is damage for Maurice Coudoin - and it remains for her to demonstrate - it is "not a damage suffered but a sought-after damage" , this one having as his profession imposes it, moved his hives but having "voluntarily" installed them near the transgenic plot during the experiment carried out in August 2006.

At the end of the hearing, Claude Menara described the procedure as "harassment" and but said he was comforted in his determination. "We continue legally because we trust politicians and scientists".

source: http://www.lexpress.fr/info/infojour/reuters.asp?id=41260&1435
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
goodeco
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by goodeco » 25/05/07, 06:29

The court issued its verdict on May 24 and the beekeeper was dismissed : Cry:

The High Court of Marmande dismissed on Thursday a beekeeper in Lot-et-Garonne who had asked for an interim order the ban for a farmer to sow his fields in GMO corn.

The beekeeper and the associations that had brought civil actions at his side, including the National Beekeeping Syndicate, the Association Bio d'Aquitaine, the National Federation of Associations of Organic Agriculture, were ordered to pay jointly and severally 5.000 euros in legal costs to the producer of GMO corn.

"The court ruled that we had voluntarily brought our beehives near the GMO corn fields to demonstrate the contamination, whereas we could put them elsewhere. In other words, we do not have the right to show that there is a problem ", lamented Maurice Coudoin to the Associated Press.

In July 2006, under bailiff supervision, Mr. Coudoin had installed three lots of test hives at 400 meters, 1.200 meters and 1.500 meters from Claude Ménara's GM crops, in Grezet-Cavagnan (Lot-et-Garonne). Samples were then analyzed by the Atlangène laboratory in Saint-Herblain, near Nantes. They revealed the presence of 34% of GMO pollen at 400 meters, 39% at 1.200 meters and in the form of traces at 1.500 meters.

Claude Ménara is known for being the first producer of GMO corn to present his plots of transgenic crops to the media. His fields were partially mowed by Greenpeace, then photographed by Yann Arthus-Bertrand in the summer of 2006. They were then the target of voluntary mowers.

Maurice Coudoin indicates that the various plaintiffs will probably appeal this decision, bringing as a new element to the debate a judgment rendered in early May by the court of Augsburg in Bavaria. The latter agreed with a beekeeper, considering that "beekeepers and producers of sweet corn have the right to demand to have a harvest free from the slightest trace of GMO corn pollen".

In addition, Maurice Coudoin intends to continue his experiments in summer 2007 on two additional sites in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques and in Tarn-et-Garonne, with the financial support of the Terre Humaine Foundation. He also intends to submit this file to the government. "We have in focus the Grenelle de l'Environnement where we hope to be able to present concrete elements through a participating association," he told AP.

source: http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/depeches ... e_mai.html
0 x
In eternal learning

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."