Holidays with the poor can be dangerous!

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Holidays with the poor can be dangerous!

by Targol » 02/03/07, 17:04

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Fifteen foreigners, including eleven French, two British and one Italian, have disappeared, possibly victims of a kidnapping in Afar, an inhospitable province in northeast Ethiopia where small rebel groups operate

"One or more kidnappings have indeed taken place," confirmed to Reuters the French ambassador to Addis Ababa, Stéphane Gompertz.

Two groups - the first of ten French tourists, the second made up of nationals of several nationalities - have been missing since the start of the week as they visited this arid region located in one of the most hostile environments on the planet.

"It seems that the incident or incidents took place in the evening two days ago. At the moment, we do not know which group (of kidnappers) could be involved or their motives," added the French diplomat.

In the second group of tourists, who were to visit the Danakil depression, one of the hottest places in the world, are a Briton, an Italian and another French.

"We are able to confirm that a group of Western tourists is missing in eastern Ethiopia, including several British nationals linked to the British Council," the Foreign Office announced in London.

The continuation on Yahoo news

Already, given the difference in standard of living, I found tourism in India a little unhealthy, some go so far as to spread their money in the poorest countries of the world.
That they are kidnapped for ransom doesn't surprise me in the least.
When will a tour operator organize "Baghdad by night", "Picturesque streets of Gaza" tours?
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
delnoram

by delnoram » 02/03/07, 18:23

Title at two reading levels, before reading I wondered what it could be so dangerous for a "poor" French to be on vacation. :D
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/03/07, 18:34

It is not only in Ethiopia, in many countries (Colombia, Indonesia) the average tourist price for revolutionary armed groups is of the order of 1 million dollars.

Even if someone explains to me how the funds are transferred, I would like to retrain : Cheesy:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/07, 18:37

It's not just the holidays in "poor" countries ...

http://www.culturefemme.com/actualites/ ... hp?id=6150
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/03/07, 18:57

elephant wrote:It is not only in Ethiopia, in many countries (Colombia, Indonesia) the average tourist price for revolutionary armed groups is of the order of 1 million dollars.

Even if someone explains to me how the funds are transferred, I would like to retrain : Cheesy:

I don't know if the business of ransoming tourists who came to visit Belgium would be that simple : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
ThierrySan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by ThierrySan » 02/03/07, 19:08

I do not approve of these practices at all and even less the motive of ostentatious goods ...

In France, when I see a Chinese bourgeois or a high caliph from Arab countries showing off his money and his court in the biggest hotels in Paris, I will not kidnap or shoot him ... Alosr why this would be the same with others ?!

I totally condemn the acts of killings and kidnapping which are carried out for actions 'in fine' less ecological and especially less social in their countries !! : Evil:
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 02/03/07, 19:28

Let's get on well, I neither approve nor excuse these kidnappings. I'm just saying that to go and spread your money in front of people who have trouble finding something to eat every day, it's pure and simple bullshit and that these tourists should think twice before taking out their card blue.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 02/03/07, 22:12

:? 20 years ago (already) I traveled in this region, I did not spread my dough (I did not have any). I made new friends, discovered fabulous places ... 8)

I met proud men, warriors, merchants, fierce shepherds ... I was offered Kalashnikovs and M16s as you would be offered a kilo of apple ... : Shock:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/03/07, 23:46

Targol said:

I don't know if the business of ransoming tourists who came to visit Belgium would be that simple

This is what saddens me : Cry:

All kidding aside, it's not a question of spreading your money: tens of thousands of people around the world live (certainly better than agriculture) from terrorism and guerrilla warfare!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 03/03/07, 13:00

citro wrote::? 20 years ago (already) I traveled in this region, I did not spread my dough (I did not have any). I made new friends, discovered fabulous places ... 8)

I met proud men, warriors, merchants, fierce shepherds ... I was offered Kalashnikovs and M16s as you would be offered a kilo of apple ... : Shock:

To clarify my thoughts, I want to put the nuance between
  • someone who would go alone, on foot (or with reduced means), who would take the time to discover the population, to enrich themselves in contact with it. Someone going on an adventure, with no itinerary or program other than the one offered by his meetings.
  • and, on the other hand, the hordes of traveler-check conquistadors who disembark from their air-conditioned buses only know the locals in the form of the employees of Western vacation clubs. In short, those who only see the part of the country "westernized" enough to be presented to them.

I think you will all have understood which category my preference goes to : Wink:

Nevertheless, it remains true that, whatever the type of tourism chosen, some corners are still more dangerous than others ...
0 x