Broadband and power consumption

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
guile
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Broadband and power consumption

by guile » 06/01/07, 20:08

Hi,

I came across this article this evening: http://jehel.blogspot.com/2007/01/haut-dbit-et-consommation-dnergie-cot.html

I believe that with Alexandre Modesto's blog (http://b0op.com) it's the only place where we talk about very high speed internet and energy consumption.

What do you think ?
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

scoop

by jean63 » 07/01/07, 19:44

I thought that with internet / ADSL we used very little energy!

Well at home I only have 512 K bits / sec and no optical fiber in the surrounding countryside .... I think otherwise I would like to have very high speed, but here we fall back into the problem of "energy inefficient" ".

It will take power plants to produce electricity: nuclear, thermal (CO2), wind turbines (not polluting but little power supplied and if the wind is there ..... and not too strong: 90 km / h max I think, otherwise the blades are blocked).
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
guile
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by guile » 07/01/07, 21:07

Alexander Modesto (http://b0op.com/blog/index.php/4622-la-consommation-electrique-d-un-reseau-fibre-optique-est-elle-est-element-important-pour-l-avenir) takes up this message and is also concerned about the electricity consumption of the new fiber optic networks.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/07, 21:23

It's a very good subject! I had never asked myself the question and will make a new one ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/01/07, 21:53

ps: problem I didn't understand much about the explanations (me and the networks it's been at least 2 ...:D) ... possible to tell us a little more?

For example: when the ADSL modem is cut ... on the supplier side, is it still consuming on the line in question? Otherwise it must have other energy costs for each of these solutions, right? The authors are based only on the consumption of "servers" (I do not even know the exact term that is to say) ...

Still, these consumptions are still much lower than a standby pc ... and especially to all household appliances that could be (standby) ...
Last edited by Christophe the 07 / 01 / 07, 22: 55, 1 edited once.
0 x
guile
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by guile » 07/01/07, 22:55

Christophe wrote:ps: problem I didn't understand much about the explanations (me and the networks it's been at least 2 ...:D) ... possible to tell us a little more?

For example: when the ADSL modem is cut ... on the supplier side, is it still consuming on the line in question? Otherwise it must have other energy costs for each of these solutions, right? The authors are based only on the consumption of "servers" (I do not even know the exact term that is to say) ...

Still, these consumptions are still much lower than a standby pc ... and especially to all household appliances that could be (standby) ...

It is true that FTTH PON is not simple. I will try to find some links.

Going back to your question, the answer is no. When the customer's ADSL modem is cut, the equipment located in the central office does not consume all this energy (understand 2 to 3 Watts for DSL techno): there are standby mechanisms. Now, we must not forget that with total unbundling offers, if you cut your modem, you no longer have a telephone, internet or TV. suddenly, the operator * boxes are permanently connected ...

FTTH side, what is shocking is that there are 2 possibilities to offer the same quality and quantity of service (100Mbps symmetrical): Point to point (1 fiber / client) and PON (1 fiber for up to '' to 64 customers in the case of GPON). Point to point is more energy intensive than PON. PON is even less greedy than ADSL. I believe that Free will deploy point to point and Orange from PON.
0 x
guile
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by guile » 10/10/07, 12:28

News are available http://jehel.blogspot.com/2007/10/la-fibre-doit-tre-un-droit-mais-aussi.html

A priori the words of Jehel are found in the response made by the collective Very High Speed.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 10/10/07, 16:57

Well,

I have more than put a switch on the box and the decoder ..
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 10/10/07, 16:59

freddau wrote:Well,

I have more than put a switch on the box and the decoder ..

I did it upon receipt! Just see how it heats to know that it consumes a lot, and even in standby!
: Evil:
0 x