Climate change: Jacques Chirac taps his fist ...

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
belze1
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Climate change: Jacques Chirac taps his fist ...

by belze1 » 15/11/06, 16:54

Climate change: Jacques Chirac slaps his fist on the table
Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 16:07 p.m.

PARIS (AP) - Jacques Chirac bangs his fist on the table to denounce countries which have not committed or are withdrawing from the fight against global warming: the implementation of the Kyoto protocol on the reduction of gas emissions at greenhouse effect "is now seriously compromised, even though it reflects a minimal commitment", he is indignant in a speech read by the Minister of Ecology Nelly Olin before the United Nations conference on climate change in Nairobi, Kenya.

"Under the pretext that the announced catastrophes did not materialize, some would like us to refrain from acting, would like to maintain the illusion that they will be able to exempt themselves from the common effort as if by magic", protests t -it, according to the text communicated by the Elysee. "But the alternative is not between economic growth and the fight against climate change. It is between climate catastrophe and development that respects the environment." Therefore, "let's stop seeing the fight against climate change as a constraint!"

During the climate conference in September 2002 in Johannesburg, Jacques Chirac was already alarmed by international inertia in the face of global warming: "the house is on fire and we are looking elsewhere", he was alarmed.

"The recent report by Nicholas Stern (...) demonstrates, if it were necessary, the urgency of immediate and ambitious collective action. And the truth is that the international mobilization remains woefully insufficient", deplores this time again the head of state.

The implementation of the Kyoto protocol "is compromised by the large industrialized countries which have refused to enter into the logic of collective action and allow their greenhouse gas emissions to increase", he believes. The United States, in particular, is in this case.

It is also "compromised by those who have ratified it and who are now going back on their commitment or who do not respect its provisions", adds Jacques Chirac in an allusion to Canada. He also denounces "all those who, industrialized countries or emerging countries, refuse the prospect of quantified commitments in the long term", as well as "all those who claim that vague voluntary commitments or a technological miracle will suffice to solve the problem".

France for its part "took all its responsibilities" because "to continue to do nothing would be irresponsible", he says. Thus, "its CO2 emissions, which represent less than 40% of the average for OECD countries, have stabilized" and it "has undertaken to reduce them by 75% by 2050".

Beyond the Kyoto Protocol, "a new framework for action is necessary for the period starting in 2012". This "should set even more ambitious emission reduction commitments for all industrialized countries from 2012" and "should better involve emerging countries, whose emissions are growing rapidly, and lead them to adopt models of economic growth. more low in carbon ", wishes Jacques Chirac. China and India in particular, big polluters, have not signed up to the Kyoto protocol.

Jacques Chirac also confirms that he will bring together in Paris in February "those who want to be at the forefront of an international mobilization to carry this vision of our common future". AP

co / nc
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/11/06, 16:56

https://www.econologie.com/forums/regle-pour ... t2607.html

Well, you are recently registered, it's ok for this time ... I corrected your post. However, the source is missing ...
0 x
belze1
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by belze1 » 15/11/06, 17:01

PARIS (AP), it is stipulated at the beginning
AP: Associated Press
seen in YAHOO INFO (in french)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/11/06, 17:01

Thank you ca I saw but it is the precise link that I would have liked to see ...
:|
0 x
belze1
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by belze1 » 15/11/06, 17:08

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/11/06, 21:08

Thank you :)
0 x