Huge offshore oil field in Mexico

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

Re: Huge oil field

by Christophe » 14/09/06, 11:40

freddau wrote:http://cartoons.courrierinternational.com/dessins/galerie.asp?dos_id=2633&obj_id=66085&page=1

Funny I had the ad for Syriana at the top left :) Well seen !

Otherwise don't you have more specific info?

ps: I don't know what a barrel of gas is ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/06, 11:47

http://www.science.gouv.fr/index.php?qc ... ,view,2387

(what is this shady url? But hey it works)

Discovery of a giant deposit in the Gulf of Mexico thanks to advances in technology

I put in big the end of the sentence because it is extremely important in the depletion of oil and few studies of estimation of resources (and not reserves) can take them into account (normal nobody is diviner and ne knows the technologies of in 20 years ...)
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 14/09/06, 11:57

Well at least we know at least where all our dinosaurs went ...

At the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico

barrel: oil equivalent barrels, boe what :)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/06, 12:12

freddau wrote:barrel: oil equivalent barrels, boe what :)

Beep gas I understand but barrel of gas I don't understand : Cheesy:
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 14/09/06, 14:37

For comparison:
Ghawar in Saudi Arabia makes 170 Gbep (wiki source) including 60 recoverable.
Here we have 15 Gbep, in first approach, the 170 Gbep were also in first approach

for technological progress, that's exactly what economists say .... as JL Perrier points out in his book: "after Oil".

We can not predict what the technology will be in a few years or what we will find but it is a bet on the future. A game of Poker .....
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 25/09/06, 09:20

For some, the “peak oil” has already been reached. Others do not consider it before thirty years.

CAN we pinpoint the peak oil, that is, when oil production will start to decline? Vast debate, certainly recurrent, but made even more acute after the announcement by Chevron, a few days ago, of the discovery of an extremely promising deposit in the Gulf of Mexico.

According to the fifth largest company in the world, this gigantic field could house 3 to 15 billion barrels. "But that will not upset the balance of the world's reserves. In addition, the technological difficulties, due to the great depths, and the scale of the investments required are two major obstacles ”, underlines Nathalie Alazard-Toux, director of studies at the French Petroleum Institute (IFP).

In general, the peak oil horizon is linked to a few unavoidable data: the state of reserves of course, but also and above all the - double - rhythm of world production and consumption. Or a statistical tool never fixed, which makes the estimation of a climax particularly complex. "It's very simple, while the most alarmist observers emphasize that peak oil is already reached, others do not envisage it for thirty years," adds Nathalie Alazard-Toux.

For Thierry Desmarest, the chairman of Total, interviewed by Le Figaro at the start of the year, it all depends on whether consumption continues to climb as quickly or whether we decide to take measures to limit it. "At the current rate, the peak oil would be between 2020 and 2025. If we manage to slow the growth of world demand for oil, in particular by energy savings, to less than 1% per year, we can reduce this peak oil after 2030 and give yourself more time to develop alternative energies. (Read our February 16 editions.)

The high price of a barrel does not encourage investment According to Jean-François Giannesini, independent expert, it is less the highest stage of production than that of discoveries which must be analyzed. “However, the peak oil of discoveries was reached twenty years ago. Now everything is a question of investment. Either we accelerate production, and the end of oil approaches, where then we maintain the current level and the fall will be less brutal. "

But as Jean-François Giannesini immediately notices, it is not a barrel at 60 dollars, guaranteeing high incomes for producing countries and large companies, which will encourage them to produce too massively, under penalty of lowering prices .

"The producing countries are forced to a subtle balance: on the one hand, they do not want too expensive oil which would encourage the development of other energies, on the other, they are pleased to note that a barrel of which the price has tripled in four years has not slowed world consumption, ”continues Nathalie Alazard-Toux.

Under these conditions, producing countries will continue to jealously guard access to the resource. This is the case of Aramco, the Saudi national company, which has never given an oil exploitation license on the soil of the kingdom. Large international companies, for their part, have already started to rehabilitate old deposits, while exploiting unconventional types of oil such as oil shales or tar sands.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 25/09/06, 16:17

freddau wrote:"The producing countries are forced to a subtle balance: on the one hand, they do not want too expensive oil which would encourage the development of other energies, on the other, they are pleased to note that a barrel of which the price has tripled in four years has not slowed world consumption, ”continues Nathalie Alazard-Toux.

And during this time, the planet heats up and the ice cap melts ...

On the left, the North Pole ice cap taken on August 24, 2005, and on the right, the same image taken on August 24, 2006. The pink part represents the "solid" pack ice with 100% ice, and the yellow part represents an area "free" where there are scattered and dissociated pieces of ice.

And you know what this image inspires to some: "This development opens up new perspectives in terms of transit of goods. Indeed, we will soon be able to have a new waterway which will make it possible to avoid the bottleneck of the canal. Suez ".
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/09/06, 17:12

Targol wrote:On the left, the North Pole ice cap taken on August 24, 2005, and on the right, the same image taken on August 24, 2006. The pink part represents the "solid" pack ice with 100% ice, and the yellow part represents an area "free" where there are scattered and dissociated pieces of ice.

Uh ... are you sure that there is only 1 year between the 2 ??? Impressive ... but you should see the state rather in the middle of winter (just in case summer has been particularly hot ...)

Targol wrote:And you know what this image inspires to some: "This development opens up new perspectives in terms of transit of goods. Indeed, we will soon be able to have a new waterway which will make it possible to avoid the bottleneck of the canal. Suez ".

It's called ... the Northwest Passage ... we talked about it on the site: the Northwest Passage
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 25/09/06, 17:38

Christophe wrote:Uh ... are you sure that there is only 1 year between the 2 ??? Impressive ... but you should see the state rather in the middle of winter (just in case summer has been particularly hot ...)

Well, yes, unfortunately, I'm sure.
For a winter comparison, just ask:

Left: December 21, 2004, right, December 21, 2005.
The white color represents the "solid" sea ice, the pink, the "free" zone
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 25/09/06, 18:08

I see that we have the same type of readings, Targol ... : Wink:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."