Should it turn its flagship day

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
nialabert
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Should it turn its flagship day

by nialabert » 13/09/06, 16:58

Here is an article in the journal of the TCS (Touring Club Switzerland).
TCS article

They talk about the daytime running lights. what is interesting is that to light these headlights would increase the consumption of 0,3 L / 100! :x

As long as I do not have LED daytime running lights, I'll be putting the lights out of my car off !! We could easily replace the position lights with daytime running lights?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 13/09/06, 17:38

The experiment which has been carried out in the moors for a year has, according to road safety, nothing changed as to the number of accidents.

However, the moors is a French department where there are many departmentales with long straight lines which represents the case where the ignition of the lights is potentially the most useful.

In addition, the lighting of car lights makes you see less bikers.

In short, I had it done for a while but I gave up.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
nialabert
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by nialabert » 13/09/06, 17:48

Targol wrote:In addition, the lighting of car lights makes you see less bikers.

I am a biker myself, but I never really understood this theory. What matters is whether the vehicle is a motorcycle, a car, a bike or a scooter.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/09/06, 18:34

O, 3 liters / 100 km seem to me much exaggerated: the dipped beam + positions consume about 200 watts, less than 1% of the energy spent by the vehicle.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 13/09/06, 18:59

Hello,
it's been law in North America for a long time
all the new vehicles and this since the 80 years if my memories are good the headlights turn on automatically. For old vehicles the law does not require them, it's just a recommendation,
This allows to be more visible from afar, a white car that rolls in winter in the snow, it allows the deer or moose animals to see the presence of a car in daylight.
For motorcycles it is obligatory whatever the age of the vehicle.
it would show that there is a slight consumption, but it is not possible to compare the heating of the rear windows, the chayffage of the seats, the heating of the windscreen washer and even some auto so that the heating cabin is faster there is help electric at the beginning.
that also explains why current alternators it is 80 amperes it goes up to 120 amperes certain cars (soon it will be possible to make a machine to weld with the alternator!)

It is illegal to ride on the position lights at nightfall.

Andre
Last edited by Other the 13 / 09 / 06, 19: 02, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/09/06, 19:00

We had, in 2004, already widely spoken about this subject ... as a biker (and econologist) I am obviously against ... all the defenders of this measure will say that it does not increase the consumption which would mean that a car is superunitary (at least on the circuit of lights ...:D) ... normal, it is impossible to measure such a small increase ... (0,5 to 1%) ...

What matters is to even the vehicle that is a motorcycle

Precisely in a permanent "flood" of light, motorcycles will be less distinguishable from cars and will lose relative visibility ...

It's a bit the same problem as flashing electronic ads: at the beginning we saw that those who were flashing and now, as they all flash, we see only the one that does not blink (or more) ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/09/06, 19:04

elephant wrote:O, 3 liters / 100 km seem to me much exaggerated: the dipped beam + positions consume about 200 watts, less than 1% of the energy spent by the vehicle.

It depends on the lighting power of the vehicle ... and its average speed ... for example a truck with say, 500W of lights (very possible that it is more or less ...), rolling 50 km / h goes overconsumming the equivalent of 1kwh for 100km with a (good) performance of the 20% electric circuit (from fuel to the bulb) it is indeed 0.5L / 100 overconsumption ... the calculation is valid any vehicle ... you just have to know the average speed and the power of the lights ...
0 x
zac

by zac » 13/09/06, 19:32

Hello
the flashligh on certain vehicles (car without license for example), its food nothing and it is seen from afar !!!
@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/09/06, 19:34

zac wrote:Hello
the flashligh on certain vehicles (car without license for example), its food nothing and it is seen from afar !!!
@+

And on bike / motorcycle too ... besides here in Belgium it is worn by many bikers ... and it is mandatory to have one in the car in case of accident ...
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 13/09/06, 21:54

I am against unilateral decisions, especially when they are silly.
It consumes amps, bulbs, and in the daytime, I really do not see the point. Motorcycles have permanent lighting mandatory to appear to be seen, demarcated.
Extend the use of headlights to all vehicles, including large lights ... It is back to the previous case, where no vehicle had the obligation to turn on the lights during the day.
I am an ecologist, I turn on my lights at night. During the day, under a tunnel, when it rains, and when in the country I do not see any more drop, where only when the public lighting is lit ...
Normal is logical! Why would I have to light my car lights, and incur a PV, because of my dangerousness, while public lighting is deficient. He has the same responsibility, and must do everything to avoid over-exposing road users ...
For me, a biker on the road, is visible, like any other vehicle, if he respects the rules of the road ...
To think and say the opposite is to lose your ability to drive a vehicle normally. The reason then recommends to be very careful, or to stop driving, because it puts the community in danger.
0 x