Brussels threatens to enact regulations on the CO2

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Brussels threatens to enact regulations on the CO2

by freddau » 30/08/06, 15:38

Will European cars soon be taxed based on their level of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions? The European Commission has in any case raised the threat, Tuesday, August 29, of binding regulations in the event that car manufacturers do not honor their commitments in this area.

The European (ACEA), Japanese (JAMA) and South Korean (KAMA) associations of car manufacturers voluntarily undertook to reduce between 1998 and 2008 the CO25 emissions of the vehicles they manufacture by 2%, in order to reach an average of 140 grams per kilometer driven.

The French manufacturers, at the origin of this initiative, had succeeded in convincing their German, Japanese and Korean competitors, that it was better to take the lead rather than having too harsh regulations imposed on them.

By 2004, half of the target had been reached. But since then, the margin of progress has narrowed. CO2 emissions - a greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming - are in fact a function of fuel consumption. However, after having experienced substantial gains, it reaches an asymptote. Due to improved safety, vehicles are indeed heavier and therefore consume more.

The trend is accentuated by the strengthening of anti-pollution standards (particle filter, reduction of nitrogen oxides), which requires more fuel-intensive engines. “Compared to a car from the late 1990s, these innovations represent on average 10 to 15 grams of additional CO2 released,” argues an expert.

Even if no manufacturer officially admits it, everyone knows that the commitment to reach 140 grams in two years is untenable. However, the Commission, which had moderately appreciated that the manufacturers set themselves rules, awaited them at the turn.

From where the exit, Tuesday, of the commissioner in charge of the industry, Günter Verheugen, who considers that the situation "is not satisfactory", calling "the industry to strengthen its efforts". "If it does not do so, the Commission will not hesitate to replace the carrot with the stick, which can mean regulation," said one in Brussels.

THE LESS PENALIZED FRENCH

The Commission is getting impatient because, under the Kyoto Protocol, the European Union (EU) has committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 8% between 1990 and 2012. However, private cars are responsible more than 10% of EU CO2 emissions.

The future regulations are already generating intense lobbying. French manufacturers could not do too badly. World champions in small displacements and diesel engines, Renault, Peugeot and Citroën already have an average of less than 150 grams of CO2 per kilometer, compared to 161 grams for all European brands, 168 for the Koreans and 170 for the Japanese. Better still, all of the diesel vehicles marketed by the French passed for the first time in 2005 under the fateful bar of 140 grams.

On the other hand, the Germans, with their powerful sedans and their large 4 × 4, risk being the main victims of this CO2 hunt. BMW, Mercedes or Volkswagen could then invoke a distortion of competition for the benefit of the French. Between two evils, Brussels will have to choose.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 30/08/06, 15:40

A figure bothers me, the car fleet is responsible for only 10% of emissions ??

I'm going to study this tonight.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/08/06, 12:04

Automobile yes it is in this order.
Transport all combined is 30 to 35% of all discharges ... does that seem little to you? Watch your fuel consumption. compared to that of your car (for those who drive red it does not count eh! lol) ... it is generally much lower ... unless you are a sales representative / commercial who does 40 km per year .. .

Obviously, as fuel is 40% of road fuel, we think that we "pollute" less ... serious error ...

If not to return to the subject, I found this news: https://www.econologie.com/nouvelle-455.html et carbon or CO2 exchanges
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 31/08/06, 12:10

Ok, thank you Christophe.

It's a good thing isn't it?
It’s going in the right direction, right?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/08/06, 12:40

In absolute yes but in practice it looks a lot like an extrapolation of the classic purses ...

The USA is starting to buy African countries their right to pollute in CO2 quotas ... so frankly I doubt that this will have a real effect ...

It's a bit the same dilemma as mounting industrial wind turbines in Europe and letting China, India and especially the USA pollute ...
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 31/08/06, 12:47

freddau wrote:A figure bothers me, by car is responsible for only 10% of emissions ??

I'm going to study this tonight.

add the fart of the cows :P
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/08/06, 16:03

She can always be annoyed with the Brussels commission, as her opinions are only followed by national governments if they want to (see the directives on bio fuels which are squarely contradicted by French laws, notably with regard to HVB) , it is clear that it will not be of much use.

Besides, what real resources does the European Commission have?
It does not levy any direct tax, so how can a CO2 tax be implemented pragmatically?
  • The fairest solution would be to tax car manufacturers x cents per vehicle sold that would be above 140g.

This would be difficult to apply because the German government, pressed by its builders (the most affected according to the article) risks making the mine gray. Furthermore, depending on whether the car is sold in or outside the EU, is the tax applied or not?
  • The other option, the one commonly used by governments (who do not want to put their industrialists against their backs) would be to tax the buyer. This is already in place (but with a threshold of 240g) in France where a tax is applied to the price of the gray card for large polluters. This solution faces the same problem. In France, the measure has passed because almost no French car is subject to this tax. it is therefore a boost to French cars at the expense of BMWs and other large German sedans. But in Germany, which government will take the risk of such a measure?

In short, if I generally agree with the principle, implementation seems difficult to me.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 31/08/06, 16:39

it's super complicated to apply, it does not reward those who try to drive a little, or to drive with a smoother ride a little slower (which saves more than a pantone system that would work well), or who carpool.

besides that, we encourage (or almost) to work away from work etc: see article
In addition, as we have already mentioned, tests on rejections or consumption have nothing to do with reality.

Using the fuel consumed seems to me much more efficient and practical, especially since it is proportional to the actual CO2 emissions !!!

It is sure that it is less popular but it is easy to increase purchasing power by redistributing money on low wages !!!

It would be too simple not enough visual, people would not have the same psychological satisfaction but then why not put this bonus (reserved for everyone) apart. Or possibly use it for those who want to buy a less fuel-efficient car.

In any case tax on the emission per km, I find it more and more stupid because what matters is the total emission, the atmosphere does not know the origin of CO2 and other products! When to give transport premiums obviously for the ecology it does not make sense, we will say it is not the goal, but it would be not bad to have a minimum of coherence rather than to launch apart, programs complicated energy savings (which themselves are expensive) !!!
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/08/06, 16:58

nonoLeRobot wrote:besides that, we encourage (or almost) to work away from work etc: see article

it's not "or almost", that's it. The state helps people who drive lots of miles with big cars. Before this "transport check" that Villepin wants to set up, you have been able to deduct from your taxes for kilometer costs which are calculated according to the distance and the power of the vehicle.
For the same salary, the bigger the car and the more kilometers you drive, the less tax you pay.

Seen from another angle, the taxes of the guy who goes 25Km by bike to go to work (and who, suddenly, has no mileage costs to deduct) are used to reduce the taxes of his neighbor who works in the same place but who, him , takes his 4x4 to go to work.

Me who am looking for another way than the car to go to work, this eco-citizen approach will, if it is to increase my taxes (I currently take advantage of these mileage costs).

Find the error : Evil:
Global warming still has a bright future ahead of it.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/08/06, 17:00

0 x