"Dry" toilets

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
buga
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

"Dry" toilets

by buga » 04/08/06, 15:51

hello everyone ...
I may have looked badly, but I can't find any info on "dry" toilets
this wc has a larger hole, directly placed on a special septic tank, and making it possible to make a compost with the droppings. after each use, we add sawdust, or other dry matter which helps with decomposition..not yet widely used as a system , but architects are already talking about it to new builders ... we get pale from time to time on TV ...
this system would be called to replace these infamous wc which consume 30 to 35% of the water of a dwelling ...
the spillage of sawdust (or other) and the "natural" separation of solids and liquids would eliminate odors ...

who has info on it ??
I saw a site where it is said that a country in northern Europe (I no longer know which one) already sells septic tanks suitable for this composting ...
and what???
no manufacturer of this type of wc yet ????
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/08/06, 15:55

We already talked here (at least) but it dates a bit:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/toilettes- ... vt114.html

Seek toilets rather than WC ...
Last edited by Christophe the 01 / 10 / 09, 13: 54, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 04/08/06, 16:06

if you want to save drinking water, which I can only approve, supply your toilets and your washing machine (not the dishwasher) with tank water .....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Grald
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Grald » 05/08/06, 10:08

0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/08/06, 15:49

elephant wrote:if you want to save drinking water, which I can only approve, supply your toilets and your washing machine (not the dishwasher) with tank water .....

This only partially limits the problem. Indeed, the disadvantage of water toilets is twofold.

First, we shit in drinking water and that, when we know the number of people in the world who are thirsty, it sticks baboules. But hey, this problem there, your solution solves it.

On the other hand, what your solution does not solve is the treatment of wastewater which is enormously energy-consuming, rather ineffective and downright polluting (sewage sludge loaded with heavy metals, hummingbirds and other charming critters spread on crops).
To divert a phrase from coluche: "don't laugh, it's you who eat". : Lol:

If this subject interests you, I cannot advise you too much to read the following book:
"A little corner to relieve the planet" by Christophe Elain
(available directly from the editor "drop of sand") which lists the various self-construction techniques as well as the models of dry toilets sold in France.

If you think that a dry toilet is necessarily "the cabin at the bottom of the garden" with the option "smells and flies", I suggest you get an idea for yourself of a model sold as is:
The separett villa (which takes the option of separating solids from liquids).

Before being entitled to it: yes it is very expensive !!! : Wink:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/08/06, 16:59

Targol wrote:Before being entitled to it: yes it is very expensive !!! : Wink:

Already yes it is expensive (normal it is eco-friendly and not eco-friendly ...) then I am very far from being convinced by this product:

SEPARETT CLASSIC 3000 230V

Its principle: to dehydrate excrement by heating it
The volume of feces is reduced by 8O% and the urine
almost nothing. This process quickly destroys populations
microbial.

In other words: heating shit with electricity (3000 = 3000W I suppose) it has nothing but then nothing at all eco-friendly or even eco-friendly ... : Shock: pov bacteria ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/08/06, 17:32

Christophe wrote:In other words: heating shit with electricity (3000 = 3000W I suppose) it has nothing but then nothing at all eco-friendly or even eco-friendly ... : Shock: pov bacteria ...

Since they offer a continuous 12v model (with solar collector option), you can imagine that it is less than that.

on the linked page, in a green block, next to the price, there is a link to a full description where we find:
separett wrote:Power consumption: 0,396 / 0,276 kWh / 24hrs

Otherwise, if you compare this type of toilet to a normal water puppy, it's true that the results (in addition to the pollution linked to water mentioned in my previous post) are not brilliant. It is better to compare it to something closer to it.

This type of WC is to be used in a special configuration: when it is impossible to install a standard WC. for example, the case of the gîte that I am renovating for my mother-in-law: the building is placed on rock. Impossible to dig a septic tank.

In this case, the other option is the sani-crusher. Better not economically: 389 € at casto just for the crusher (you have to add the toilet itself) but an electrical consumption (engine of 500W according to the manufacturer) and higher water (there, there is no photo ).

Anyway, this is just an example, there are other types of non-electric dry toilets that work on composting.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/08/06, 17:37

Targol wrote:Power consumption: 0,396 / 0,276 kWh / 24hrs

I read this: ECO3000 power consumption from 3000 to 5000 W by 24 h. Fan flow 80m3 / H
on this page: maison-ecolo.com/boutic/bou_vpro.cgi?codepro=SEPECO3000

So already when we talk about energy consumption in W I get out ...: Evil:
Last edited by Christophe the 01 / 10 / 09, 13: 55, 1 edited once.
0 x
lapinheran
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by lapinheran » 11/08/06, 00:08

yes we consume watt or we stay in the emanations not nice :x

but we can always try to propitiate the heat produced by decomposition via a recovered energy heat recovery unit
at the air outlet vicier

more energy saved for the treatment of waste water not produced and drinking water not wasted

and we can study the question from the side of a solar ventilation

you also get top quality potting soil for the garden

therefore the watt of the ventilation is discussed but is not enough to make the system unintegrating
0 x
fabienne70
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by fabienne70 » 01/10/09, 11:26

Hello everyone,
I do not know where to put my post, I hope it does not bother me that I stick to this one !!
I strongly plan to replace my toilets with dry toilets, for an economic purpose and in priority for an ecological purpose, but a problem arises in my case, I have health problems and I take a good handful of drugs each days and I wonder if it is very healthy for my children that I compost my fecal waste, since the compost obtained will go in the family vegetable garden, what do you think?
on the other hand I was wondering if we should put the toilet paper in a separate container or if we could compost it with the rest of the organic waste!
Thank you in advance for your answers
0 x