A vehicle travels 2885 km with a liter of ethanol

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

A vehicle travels 2885 km with a liter of ethanol

by jean63 » 02/06/06, 12:35

Found in a forum discussion (info to be confirmed) ==>

One liter to ... 2 kilometers
The 22nd Shell Eco-marathon, which took place from 19 to 21 May on the Nogaro circuit (Gers), saw its winners cover 2 kilometers with one liter of ethanol. (885/02/06)

In a competition more intense and richer in innovations than ever, a vehicle running on biofuel imposed itself for the first time. At the forefront of research As every year, more than 3 European students participated, entering nearly 000 vehicles, in this race for non-consumption. A technical challenge for these young people from the grandes écoles, whose level is only increasing, and who compete in ingenuity to create and innovate, to the point that several technical patents have already been filed in the context of the competition.

This year, the Nantes residents of La Joliverie largely dominated the debates, with two cars on the podium, including number 3, with a cockpit worthy of an airplane, won the event with the performance of 2 kilometers traveled with only one liter of… biofuel
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/06/06, 13:30

Bravo .... and after? : Cheesy:

Sorry but I am a perciste and sign: the eco marathon shell has no influence on our everyday technologies (i.e. no technological transfer) ... except that of improving the image of Shell ...

: Evil:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 02/06/06, 19:21

Okay, but you still have to do it. I would love to have the technical explanation of this feat, if you can find it somewhere.

As for Shell, it's like TV advertising, it doesn't impress or influence me at all.

What I admire on the other hand is the job of those who manufactured the machine and drove for as many kms with a single liter of fuel.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/06/06, 20:49

jean63 wrote:Okay, but you still have to do it. I would love to have the technical explanation of this feat, if you can find it somewhere.

The exploit? Sorry to disappoint you but there is none technically:

1) The result announced is only a calculation, in no way did a vehicle travel these 2 with 885 L of ethanol ... it simply did a few laps

2) The engine power is ridiculous and friction is reduced to the maximum (no gearbox for example)

3) The weight of the vehicle is ridiculous (generally, at least in the case of the ENSAIS, it is the rare "little" girls who are chosen as the driver)

4) It is above all a management of the engine ignition and inertia (the circuit is not flat) which makes it possible to obtain such performances.

Please note I am not saying that such management (downsizing, reduction in mass and power, optimization of inertia ...) is not interesting (quite the contrary !!!) .... but it is very far from being applied to "general public" vehicles : Evil: (see the topic on freewheeling!)

jean63 wrote:What I admire on the other hand is the job of those who manufactured the machine and drove for as many kms with a single liter of fuel.

Again sorry but most will end up (directly or indirectly) with the boot of the oil tankers ... and of our society of overconsumption!

ps: look at the info on the Loremo on the site, there is much more to expect from this than from the eco-cash-shell
0 x
rpsantina
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rpsantina » 02/06/06, 21:05

Hi, in bulk some solutions:

- use a soda bottle inflated to 4 bar to pressurize the injector and the fuel tank => no pump = no unnecessary rubbing

- put a little oil on the elements in the engine before doing the run => no oil bath in which the vilo hits ( : Evil: all the art in this case is to put enough oil but not too much : Evil: )

- every year, focus on improving one element (la Joliverie insures its proto for 2 million francs => aluminum honeycomb and carbon fiber frame calculated and factory by "dassault", ... I'll pass you the details it is at the limit of the pros for this competition)

- after working on the car, we work on the driver (to make the jockey pali)

- finally we pass on the circuit ... tracking of the optimum points for the ignition and the extinction of the engine to respect the average speed imposed on 6 or 7 turns
- at this very stage, moving becomes an art
0 x
RPS (Dpt Tarn South 81)
i-Only those who do nothing are never wrong
ii-Anything is possible as long as a little time is spent there
Kedar
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Kedar » 02/06/06, 21:52

Hello
It is true that the Shell in doing this pretty marathon says to the whole world: See do not be afraid when there will be no more oil we can make several thousands of KM with 1 liter! then consume !!!
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 02/06/06, 23:50

Thank you for these explanations ............ it is disgusting such methods and much more when you think of those who participate and therefore directly set foot in the SYSTEM.

If they put so much energy on the pantone, it would work for everyone and in particular for tired motor vehicles which could last a long time.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 03/06/06, 11:10

Yes, it is clear that the methods are not applicable to conventional conditions but the spirit of the competitors for most of the students is good.

They hope to get things done .....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/06, 11:40

freddau wrote:They hope to get things done .....

Hope is one thing ... reality is another ... :|
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 03/06/06, 11:48

freddau wrote:Yes, it is clear that the methods are not applicable to conventional conditions but the spirit of the competitors for most of the students is good.

They hope to get things done .....

For the spirit I fully agree with you, but then it is not applied to the general public. I agree with Christophe's reasoning, well, he's a little (a lot) embittered that we dropped him with his pantone but .... that's life.

Me, I got thrown after 30 years of experience and 20 years in the same box as a competent and rigorous IT manager .... and yet !!.

In this world of false asses we must not say the TRUTH, especially when it calls into question the tricky advantages of certain rotten officials.

It's the same for everything: you just have to see politics; it is only their place and their career that counts (not all); and the CEOs of the multinationals !!! lately VINCI ..... for me it was Rodier (ditto with less vision).
0 x