Food Crisis or Energy Crisis

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Food Crisis or Energy Crisis

by freddau » 27/02/06, 14:01

Interview published in Capital.

Lester Brown: President of the Earth Policy Institute, an independent research institute for scientific ecology in Wshington. He has written 15 books analyzing the relationships between growth and the environment (Eco-economy, the latest: Plan B 2.0 in the United States)

This expert wants to reconcile ecology and economy ....

He maintains that at the pace where our world economy is going and in particular China and India, we will face the food crisis well before the energy crisis.

It is based on the regular drop in water tables leading to the desertification of regions such as Texas, Kansas, northern China and India, the urbanization of soils, lowering the production of its various agricultural areas.

According to this researcher, Chinese agricultural production has dropped enormously, they are no longer self-sufficient and it would take a bad harvest in China to raise world wheat prices and make today's subsidized farms "profitable". Added to this the future competition between supermarkets and service stations, hear food and biofuels, the cocktail is explosive.

There are at least remedies for this, halting the increase in the world population (as is the case in Thailand and Iran), promoting the energy economy, creating ocean reserves and promoting reforestation.

Brown hopes that we can realize this, but fears that it will take a major ecological disaster to turn the corner.

Fred. S.
Last edited by freddau the 27 / 02 / 06, 18: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 27/02/06, 18:14

Well,

I know I am not bringing good news right now. But hey it's for information, just to show that other people are looking into the matter.
And that we are not necessarily alone :)

Otherwise it illustrates a little the mechanism of the markets.

In the meantime I hope you are still there.
0 x
bojourvous5094
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

The water economy in China, more urgent than ever ...

by bojourvous5094 » 12/03/06, 21:42

Water conservation will become a way of life in China until 2020 to be able to respond to a relatively affluent society.

"Building a water economy society in China will depend on what we do in the next 15 years," said Suo Lisheng, deputy minister of water.

He stressed that "the construction of a water saving society is the best strategy to apply in China to overcome the water crisis, a problem that the country has faced for the last century". : Idea:

The Ministry of Water will open a water exhibition from April 26 to 29 next year in the Beijing Agriculture Exhibition Center (Beijing). The exhibition aims to ensure "a guarantee of the safety of drinking water and to build a harmonious society," said the deputy minister.

There you will find new products and technologies related to water conservation.

Un forum High level on water use will take place during the exhibition.

Suo believes that there is a large potential market for water saving products in the coming years.

"With accelerated urbanization and industrialization in China, the lack of water resources has become one of the important factors limiting the economic development of the country, as well as the progress of our society," said the deputy minister.

There are plans to introduce reasonable prices in order to limit water consumption quotas in different regions.

At the same time, water recycling, pollution control and more efficient technologies for industrial enterprises and agriculture will need to be developed in order to make full use of existing water supply facilities.
0 x
bojourvous5094
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Water economics in China (continued)

by bojourvous5094 » 12/03/06, 21:58

To promote the water economy, "water prices should be used as an important means of forcing consumers to make better use of their limited water quotas," said Wang Shucheng, minister of water.

The ministry has introduced pilot projects in Zhangye of Gansu province in northwest China, Mianyang in Sichuan province in southwest and Dalian in Liaoning province in northeast , he noted.

The local government of Zhangye, a semi-arid region, has clearly defined water quotas to protect its limited water resources.

In China, the amount of water available per capita is less than 2 cubic meters, or a quarter of the world average. It is only 200 m990 in the northern regions, prone to droughts. : Shock:

However, this figure will drop to 1 m750 in 3, when the Chinese population will increase to 2030 billion inhabitants, according to experts' forecasts.

In 2030, the total consumption of water in the country will reach 700 to 800 billion m3, approaching the limit of its resources.

During ordinary years, the country lacks an average of 40 billion m3 of water per year, of which 75% for agricultural fields, according to experts.

Since 1991, drought has affected more than 27 million hectares of fields each year, more than a fifth of the total in the country. Cereal production thus fell by more than 28 million tonnes.

Today, among the 660 Chinese cities, more than 400 lack water and the situation is very serious in more than a hundred cities including Beijing and Tianjin. : Shock:

The water shortage has caused industrial production to lose more than 230 billion yuan ($ 27 billion) annually.

In 2003, China consumed an average of 465 m3 of water for every 10 yuan (000 dollars) of gross domestic product (GDP), four times the world average, according to the latest statistics provided by the authorities. water resources.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 13/03/06, 11:27

"A harmonious society", ....... according to the Times (see international mail) the Chinese peasants are on the verge of revolt so the harmonious society is a goal to be attained and it's been a while since 'They are talking.

They mean by that: redistribution of wealth, which does not seem to work for the moment at least without cutting off the heads of the profiteers (profiteers, members of the political apparatus), they have a job anyway .

I think that the Chinese will be and are faced with problems more quickly than us (given the size of the population) and that they will have to act and therefore come out of technology, solutions to respond to it.

In short, as usual, humans only move when they have problems, a bit like revising on the eve of exams. :) and therefore by being optimistic and confident in the intelligence of some of the Chinese, they will perhaps get there (they are obliged to) unless, as the Communist has already done, they cut off the heads of the most "intellectuals" .

And so I tell myself that it is not a bad thing, that the Hindus and the Chinese are waking up, they are going to be confronted with the same problems that we could not solve for ease because we were the only ones to pollute well. ..
There it is another size and it would be necessary to go to the evidence and at least the scourge should be fought in an organized way therefore united in adversity.

With a bit of luck it will be the future. It's Bô no :)
0 x