The Principle of Lucifer

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The Principle of Lucifer

by sen-no-sen » 28/02/15, 16:51

A book that I strongly recommend reading:The Principle of Lucifer de Howard Bloom

Memes lead the story

Le Principe de Lucifer (The Lucifer Principle), book with an unusual title, earned him to find himself in the "esoteric" department of the Virgin store, enthroned in the middle of treatises on transcendental meditation, the umpteenth "secret of the pyramids" or other "Mysteries" of Rennes-le-Château "…!
In these conditions, one wonders who will be able to read it: the esotericists will certainly not want it, the political scientists or political analysts will never have the idea to go to seek it in this type of ray. Decidedly, this Lucifer has the genius of dissimulation.

It is, however, a fundamental, even founding book. It is indeed to memetics (1) what was in its time to mimetic the book of René Girard "Things hidden since the foundation of the world", Grasset editions, 1978).

The Principle of Lucifer is a confusing book, both very scientific in its approach (many references) but also full of humor, even mischief ... The short cuts are striking, the extreme density, insights lightning, relentless reasoning , the field of immense knowledge.
The strange personality of the author, his style and his behavior, sometimes offbeat but always very rigorous, earned him the praise of a large part of the American university community from Stanford to Harvard, including UCLA and Johns Hopkins University. The very unofficial review, Foreign Affairs, also pays him a strong tribute. But that's not all: The Lucifer Principle has become the cult book for Broocklyn rock groups who "sample" entire passages from his book to integrate it into their music…!
If the author is an academic, note that this book was rejected by thirty-two New York publishers before being finally published.

"We need the story in its entirety, but not to fall back in but to escape ": this quote from Ortega Y Gasset placed at the beginning of the book comes as a warning from the author, aware of the devastating hypotheses he develops, even of their despairing aspect. And Bloom adds:" The systems I am going to describe are not my idea of ​​what the world should be like, they are the conclusions I have come to regret about what it really is. "." It deals with how, through our interest in sex, our submission to gods and rulers, our sometimes suicidal attachment to ideas, religions and vulgar cultural-type details, we become the unconscious instigators of the exploits of the social organism. "

http://www.automatesintelligents.com/biblionet/2002/fev/principe.html
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/02/15, 18:27

I was disappointed overall reading the book of Bloom (which does not mean that I do not recommend reading!).
His main fault seems to me to be an immoderate taste for dilution, which leads him to painful lengths ...
When I think he has (or will) commit two extra volumes as a result of this first work ...
It is all the more unfortunate that it is opposed to a synthetic vision that struggles to emerge from the mass of a corpus which is not without interest ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 28/02/15, 18:46

It's sure that Bloom is not Roddier in conciseness, but the ideas that he develops are particularly innovative and although his Atlanticist vision is tiring, there remains a work with a "before and after".

It seems to me that one can count on the fingers of one hand the number of authors who have developed the idea of ​​superorganism to describe the functioning of human society.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/02/15, 18:59

It is not so surprising that it is an American: it seems that it is a certain constancy with them, that to try to concretize any explanatory grid.
I find more interesting the words of René Girard, in their limitations and unfinished sides that leaves room for the reader ...
Accounts you Marx among those referring to a superorganism?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 28/02/15, 20:23

For Marx I admit that no.
I keep some respect for Howard bloom because without it I would not have known certain authors like Susan Blackmore ou Jean-Paul Baquiast for example, who develops very innovative ideas as well.
I discovered H.Bloom by the writings of F.Roddier, who know well JP Baquiast etc.! ... the world is small!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 02/03/15, 10:02

A presentation TEDx de Susan Blackmore on Memes, a concept widely exposed by H.Bloom.

Susan Blackmore studies memes: ideas that reproduce themselves from brain to brain like a virus. She makes an amazing proposition: humanity has given birth to a new kind of meme, temes, which reproduce by technology - and invent new ways to survive. "
https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_blackmore_on_memes_and_temes?language=fr

(Subtitles are selected in the player.)

The idea developed by S.Blackmore is revolutionary and cold in the back:
If the first evolutionary revolution was the gene, the arrival of a second replicator has allowed our primate ancestors to propel us to the hominid stage, but this evolution is not complete.
Indeed with the technological development initiated there is more than 5000 years with the appearance of civilizations, the human species has entered the era of the antropocène (less than 200 years ago) with the industrial revolution.
This one finally "gave birth" to a new replicator:the teme (diminutive of techno-meme).
Temes are technological memes that replicate exponentially through the amplifying use of technology.

The point where it becomes interesting (and terrifying!) Is that in reality,the ecological collapse we are going through is not a sad accident at all, but the normal result (sic!) aimed at eradicating forms of life that are not adapted to the next evolutionary leap.
Thus global warming, the fall of biodiversity, the acidification of the oceans would be only a logical process for the new era, which could be called technocene.
According to this logic, we are therefore doomed to disappear ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 02/03/15, 20:36

sen-no-sen wrote:According to this logic, we are therefore doomed to disappear ...

It's logical and even when you think about it, nothing is infinite.
The big difference is that it is the man himself who accelerates his extinction.
It's still different from anything that happened before.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 03/03/15, 08:06

Actually the previous generation was learning from his parents, whereas now, question using modern appliances, it is the parents who ask the children how to do ...

Is it the memes that replace the memes?
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 03/03/15, 09:11

dede2002 wrote:Actually the previous generation was learning from his parents, whereas now, question using modern appliances, it is the parents who ask the children how to do ...

Is it the memes that replace the memes?

In a way, and proportionally conserved traditional cultural memes tend to leave their place to the memes.
Moreover most of vocational education is now almost exclusively attributed to its last.
The danger is that the technological evolution is far too fast for us, and if we are not careful we will have to update our primate bodies, through genetic manipulation or neurological implants, in order to be able to follow the race ahead that is now imposed on us (and that we imposed ourselves).

phil53 wrote:

The big difference is that it is the man himself who accelerates his extinction.
It's still different from anything that happened before.

This process is not new, it also bears a name:the effect of the red queen(in reference to Alice in Wonderland, to the episode where Alice and the Red Queen start "running in place" so as not to be carried away ....)
The more energy a society (but this is true for all species!) Dissipates energy, the more it modifies its environment, and the more its environment is modified, the more it must be readjusted ... by dissipating more energy, which accelerates the evolutionary process.

It is for this reason that the policy of economic growth as it is sought by our "elites" is a race to suicide, the more we seek growth and the more it deteriorates the conditions (ecological, social) of our planet , forcing us to operate more and more invasive measures.
The example of the recent law Macron exposes well is done.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lucifer's Principle

by GuyGadebois » 21/11/19, 20:56

Memetics can be summed up in one sentence:
"We take the same and start again".
Meditate on it. : Mrgreen:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)