The age of Low-Tech - Philippe Bihouix

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Grandaddy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

The age of Low-Tech - Philippe Bihouix

by Grandaddy » 10/09/14, 15:56

I recently heard about this recent book, written by Philippe Bihouix, an engineer who seems to specialize in mineral and mineral resources.
Anyone here already read it? Certain points raised seem interesting, I will perhaps get it.
Some reviews found on the net that caught my curiosity:

http://www.nonfiction.fr/article-7209-s ... t_top_.htm (read also the two comments below, there are new points of reflection quite relevant).

A manifesto for happy sobriety through a critical analysis of technical society.

Even the least green among us generally agree that "no, it can't go on like this", as illustrated for example by the "Day of passing" reached a few days ago (August 19, 2014: Symbolic date on which global consumption exceeds the production capacity of the planet). In this context, Philippe Bihouix succeeds in rethinking a new society from a more reasoned and less greedy use of technologies, without falling, at least most of the time, into a primary technophobia. Quite readily quoting Barry Commoner, Matthew Crawford, Jacques Ellul or Ivan Illich, of whom he appears to be a somewhat turbulent disciple, the author thus draws the technical profile of a friendly and properly decreasing society.

Very educational, the work is divided into four sections: a first act explains "how we got there" and why the solution to the environmental crisis is not to be sought from the technology side; a second act sets out the basic principles of low technology, based above all on questioning needs; a third detail, sector by sector, what daily life would look like in the days of low technology; finally a fourth act questions the feasibility of the transition.

The first quarter of the book will not teach much to those already familiar with the subject, apart from some anecdotal data to glean. For others, however, the book has the merit of recalling some fundamentals. Thus on the energy issue (go directly to the next paragraph for experts ...), the author, an engineer by training himself, very pedagogically explains the importance of taking into account the energy efficiency of each site, or EROI (Energy Return On Energy Invested), i.e. the amount of energy needed to produce energy. The problem is not that there will be no more oil or gas to be extracted in the more or less near future, as the media may sometimes suggest, but the energy necessary to extraction of this oil or gas. To give the figures quoted in the book, an onshore field in Saudi Arabia has a yield around 40 (a barrel of oil required to produce 40) while in Canada, the asphalt sands of Athabasca do not exceed a yield of 3, with an input in the form of natural gas. “Clearly, we burn gas to produce two to three times more oil. "
A similar analysis of the situation of metals leads to the idea not only of a peak in oil or another resource, but in a "peak everything": "We could afford tensions on one or the other. other resource, energy or metals. But the challenge is that we now have to deal with it at about the same time: more energy needed for less concentrated metals, more metals needed for less accessible energy. "

But what about innovation? The author twists his neck to what he calls “high tech cream pies”, such as the bioeconomy, nanotechnologies or the dematerialization of information, which are far from being technically sustainable. A good reason is, for example for nanomaterials, that they are dispersive applications, that is to say using tiny quantities of metals certainly, but without any hope of recycling, which refers to the initial problem of access to primary resources.

Our society would thus find itself in a triple dead end, linked to the scarcity of resources, to the explosion of various pollutants, to the consumption of space finally - on this subject, the author puts forward the figure, properly incredible, of 1% of the surface of artificial French territory (a nice word which very often means agricultural land or a forest which becomes a commercial area, a new housing estate or a parking lot) ... in less than 10 years! It is to respond to this triple impasse that the author invites us to think of a radically new society.

The top priority is to rethink our needs, because “the issue is not between growth and decline, but between the decrease experienced (…) or the decrease chosen. "
To do this, several tracks are envisaged and detailed by the author, the most important of which are without doubt the exit from the all-car, a form of moratorium on the built (renovate rather than build), an agriculture based not on an increase always increasing productivity (production per worker) but concerned with the area yield (production per hectare), a relocation of the industry while remaining vigilant to the effects of scale, finally for the financial world the end of the loan at interest, which mechanically leads to a need for growth.

Interesting as they may be, these proposals partly match those of a Pierre Rabhi or a Serge Latouche, whom the author cites elsewhere, with an accent it is true more pronounced on industrial questions in general and the mineral resources in particular. But Phippe Bihouix goes further, and tackles in a very serious way questions which seem much less so. So on the question of leisure he offers us a table with the number of m² needed per player for different sports, to determine which sports are the most demanding on the surface, and therefore to avoid. Readers who are already wriggling in your seats wondering if you should cancel your Sunday match, rest assured: if you play ping-pong, basketball or volleyball, your "area performance" is completely honest. On the other hand, fans of golf, football or tennis, it would be good to restrict yourself - or at least to play doubles (in the case of tennis)! For the others, I invite you to consult the figure "Kant applied to ball sports"

All these measures, from the most systemic to the most harmless, have as main objective to reduce the overall consumption of energy and resources. According to the author, to be sustainable, our energy production should thus reach 20 to 25% of our current consumption, hence the many changes to be made. The question of the feasibility of such a transition therefore naturally occupies the last quarter of the book, which answers overall (but we suspected a little) that yes it is possible, if everyone puts their own, d 'as much as we would be happier. And this is where my adhesion to the book cracks a little. Why this need, among the decreasing and sympathizers, to sell us a necessary measure as deeply desirable? Is this not to impose a normativity on backward smells which risks unnecessarily removing the most addicted to modernity? Some examples among others: "Learning to click a mouse, is it necessary in kindergarten?" I didn't learn at that age, and yet I'm doing pretty well. "
. It seems to me that we are here on another debate (in this case two other debates since there is the question of education) that of the desirability of decrease without any environmental consideration. If I can be sensitive to the humor you show, Mr. Philippe Bihouix, let me tell you that the world you describe below does not make me dream at all: "I take myself to dream of a world in which, when arriving at friends, instead of bringing a bouquet virtually scented with kerosene, we will suggest to the hostess to urinate in the vegetable garden to return some nutrients to the soil and increase her vegetable production to come up. "
Because in real Philippe, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have a confession to make. I love the smell of cut flowers, and abomination, the taste of Macdo's chicken nuggets or travel to distant lands. If my life choices do not always reflect my tastes, so recently I bought train tickets for a professional trip of 15h rather than 1h by plane, it is not that I do not find these avatars of the practical and really attractive modernity, but it is because I am aware, like you, of the dead ends to which they lead us. Or as you say in such a poetic way "No, we can no longer afford to continue to consume like pigs, to produce and throw like goujats, thanks to the circular economy and renewable energies, with some adjustments, here and there. "
. There we agree Philippe. But stop taking us for a child to whom we would confiscate his Miko cone by saying to him "no but here are Brussels sprouts, it's much better and you are going to enjoy it, you will see! "
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/09/14, 13:00

According to the article (sorry, I haven't read the book), the reservation expressed by this critic only expresses his cultural rigidity: he recognizes that consumerism at all costs is condemned, but continues to do so adhere.
As for the two comments, the first deludes a lot about our ability to control technologies: if we have reached an impasse, it is for the reason that the purpose of the technique in our historical context opposes the rational use of these!
The second, in a different form, shows the same lack of lucidity. He is right on one point, however: si we assume this mastery, then nothing prevents that "low" and "high" technology coexist, but it is precisely the interest of the position of Bihouix to understand that by limiting it to low intensity techniques the risk of slipping is less great (since this choice supposes the idea of ​​self-limitation), whereas otherwise it would be assured (except assuming a really draconian control which one hardly imagine where it could come from ...).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Grandaddy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Grandaddy » 12/09/14, 11:18

Ahmed wrote:According to the article (sorry, I haven't read the book), the reservation expressed by this critic only expresses his cultural rigidity: he recognizes that consumerism at all costs is condemned, but continues to do so adhere.
As for the two comments, the first deludes a lot about our ability to control technologies: if we have reached an impasse, it is for the reason that the purpose of the technique in our historical context opposes the rational use of these!
The second, in a different form, shows the same lack of lucidity. He is right on one point, however: si we assume this mastery, then nothing prevents that "low" and "high" technology coexist, but it is precisely the interest of the position of Bihouix to understand that by limiting it to low intensity techniques the risk of slipping is less great (since this choice supposes the idea of ​​self-limitation), whereas otherwise it would be assured (except assuming a really draconian control which one hardly imagine where it could come from ...).

Thank you for your interesting opinion:) I think that the questioning of consumerism and high technology scares a lot of people because it also challenges a well-established model of society in the minds of people who have been there regulars. Just with internet addiction, it would shock a lot of people ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/09/14, 13:52

Consumerism has been a bad answer to a real problem and a good part of the attachment to it comes from the fact that its abandonment is perceived as a return to a previous state.

The technology that is linked to consumerism has a reassuring aspect, since despite its many drawbacks, it tends to free us from our finitude, at least partially and equivocally.
Because this postage is paid at the price of new limitations: problems are less resolved than displaced, moreover, new ones result.

This problem of technique is very complex, because it is very difficult to delimit its range of action (assuming it is desired!) As soon as any technique is ambivalent.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: The Age of Low-Tech - Philippe Bihouix

by thibr » 29/03/20, 14:24

small digging up : Mrgreen:
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/21, 15:24

In engineering schools, the emergence of a "low tech" wave

A wooden barrel transformed into a seat, a bookcase that unfolds to reveal a desk, a suitcase that transforms into a work table… The ideas competition is in full swing on this Friday in mid-October at the Ecole Supérieure wood in Nantes (ESB). About a hundred first-year students work in groups of six to design and build a modular wooden desk for people who have little space and have to telecommute during the health crisis. All in an eco-design approach. Each group has two plywood boards and a budget of 50 euros for the rest of the material.

No time to waste on Friday morning, the last day devoted to design before moving on to production in the workshop the following week. In each team, it is the excitement. Mathis Aubry discusses with his comrades how to minimize falls: “We discuss and perform calculations to make the most of the boards available to us. »Clara Estival, she isolated herself in the fab lab, in another wing of the building, to create a mesh of wood. "I create a specific pattern to allow the material to bend without breaking and thus to use only wood and recycled materials for our office suitcase", details the young woman, who joined the ESB after a course in 'architect.
A professor: “Analyzing the life cycle of a product allows choices to be made. To what degree do I allow myself to pollute or not, for example? "
This first full-scale project within their schooling puts students in contact with the realities of eco-design, while the school revised its educational model in 2019 around the circular economy, which represents 600 hours of lessons throughout the year. throughout the three years of the course. Like this “speed challenge”, a “low tech” trend is starting to emerge in French engineering training. This approach aims to design products and services that are energy efficient, robust, repairable by the greatest number of people, and recyclable. If the very term "low tech" is not unanimous in schools, the courses around the analysis of needs and the life cycle of products, the circular economy, eco-design or frugal innovation flourish, fueling a new vision for the industry. Some courses linked to this movement are thus emerging, such as at Centrale Lille in the last year. And digital schools are thinking about it, like Esiea, which is planning a “low tech and frugal innovation” minor at the start of the 2021 school year.

That same morning, in another room of the ESB, a group of third year students thus worked on the life cycle analysis of the framework of Notre-Dame de Paris, as part of a project with the 'Restore Notre-Dame association. They document themselves to reconstitute the life cycle of the framework which has burnt down and make recommendations on the new one. Antoine, Julien, Chaïma and their comrades discuss the data they were able to find while waiting to receive plans. “Analyzing the life cycle of a product allows you to make choices. To what degree do I allow myself to pollute or not, for example? », Explains their teacher Franck Michaud.

Driving students

Students are often the driving force behind this change through their associative activities. At ESB, Clara has just set up an association to organize social actions around wood. She contacted the town hall of Saint-Martin-Vésubie (Alpes-Maritimes), victim of the storm Alex, to find out how to help them.

A student at the Icam engineering school in Lille, Jean de Bailliencourt took part in the development of a “low tech” association in his establishment. For four years, every Monday, a dozen young people meet to "tinker". Among their achievements: a solar oven, a water heater or a wind turbine made from recycled materials. Initiatives conducted in conjunction with the Low-Tech Lab, a national association whose objective is to collect, document and share this type of action around the world.

"I want to keep this mentality in my work as an engineer," assures Jean de Bailliencourt, now in fifth year. I learned to look for simplicity and efficiency rather than complexity. These students have also set up conferences within the school to increase awareness of their promotion.

A minority of committed teachers

Among the teacher-researchers, a minority wants to go beyond the use of "low tech" as an educational tool and introduce a deeper movement to change the approach to innovation, technology and even progress. "Awareness is carried out in training", estimates Philippe Bihouix, author of The Age of Low-Tech: Towards a Technically Sustainable Civilization (Seuil, 2014). He is regularly invited by engineering schools for conferences. “We must now open the minds of future engineers and broaden their horizons to other disciplines, such as sociology or anthropology, in order to better take into account uses. "
Set up by teacher-researchers from Grenoble, a “low tech community” is emerging. After a webinar in June, a day of meetings was held in early October and a forum online makes it possible to continue and expand exchanges. "We want to share our skills and our resources in order to create a dynamic, and avoid reinventing the wheel with each project", underlines Sacha Hodencq, animator of this community. PhD student, teacher at Grenoble INP - ENSE3 school, he introduced a “low tech” dimension to second year engineering projects. “The approach poses societal questions and introduces the ethics of the technique. Science is not neutral and we finally say it too rarely to students, ”said the teacher.

Within the group of INSA engineering schools too, the thinking has turned a corner. A major reform of the curriculum is being carried out to integrate energy-climate issues, in partnership with the think tank The Shift Project, and thus "build balanced engineering profiles, where technologies and humanities intermingle to contribute to building a more sustainable society ”. The “low tech” principles are integrated into it. At Insa in Lyon, Romain Colon de Carvajal is one of the teachers involved: “Engineers most often answer the question how. With low tech, it is a question of starting with the analysis of needs and questions for whom? Why ? And to add a social dimension to their reflections. "

More than 32 students have signed a manifesto for an ecological awakening: they do not want to work in companies that do not work for ecological transition

"Engineering schools are on the move," notes with satisfaction Clémence Vorreux, higher education and research coordinator of the Shift Project. But they are a little in the schizophrenia between on the one hand a very technophile vision of innovation, and on the other calls for more sobriety. They will have to put consistency in their speeches. "

A paradox which is illustrated in the outlets. The professional integration of graduates is one of the schools' priorities. However, the “low tech” dimension is not yet the source of many jobs. Clément Delor experienced it. He has just graduated from Centrale Lille, after having followed the “low tech” course in the fifth year. “I would have liked to take this path, but the economic crisis forced me to move towards a more traditional sector. The young engineer has just signed a CDI in a logistics management consulting firm. "I have my back for the moment," he explains. He already has an entrepreneurial project in mind to facilitate the delivery of local products in Paris, with a “desert fridge”, a system for preserving food in earth and sand, without recourse to electricity. "This project is more in line with my values," he explains. His entrepreneurial approach echoes the manifesto for an ecological awakening signed by more than 32 students two years ago. They said they no longer wanted to work in companies that do not work for ecological transition.

Despite everything, will the health crisis change the situation in the medium term? Isabelle Huynh, graduate of INSA Lyon, founder of the Institut Transitions and of the association La Clavette, which pleads for positive engineering, believes in it: “The Covid shows companies how they can reinvent themselves. During the first confinement, some took action to create 3D printing visors, for example. At the ESB, after having completed the design of the bookcase-office unit, Mathis wants to believe it too. “We don't have to constantly reinvent everything,” he notes. We can go back to simple and lasting things. I want to be an actor in this changing world and not have to tell myself later: I haven't done anything. ""

0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 14/01/21, 07:31

It's not just the winners in life : Mrgreen:
Long version of the report, with all the candidates and their solutions:
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 14/01/21, 08:08

thibr wrote:small digging up : Mrgreen:

if you want to know how to live without fossils, take a look at traditional habitats. It didn't look exactly like this ...
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 14/01/21, 08:55

ABC2019 wrote:if you want to know how to live without fossils, take a look at traditional habitats. It didn't look exactly like this ...

Cartoon binarism is back? : Mrgreen:

Scientific and technological progress since, should we forget them?
Try to forget something and tell me if you can. : Mrgreen:

Even if a lot of all this is related to fossils nowadays, it is quite possible to green it all, certainly by reducing the quantities produced.
I anticipate, since we know your song ... This is not currently done for reasons of financial profitability.
Capitalism which has nothing set in stone by divine right but which is a pure convention / human construction and therefore modifiable at will, in theory ...
see very beautiful passage ofAhmed here: uh we can not put the link, so this is his last intervention in the thread, which I no longer thought : Wink:
Profitable vs Sustainable, at some point you have to choose your camp in conscience : Mrgreen: not in the cartoonish binarism. : roll:
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 14/01/21, 10:47

eclectron wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:if you want to know how to live without fossils, take a look at traditional habitats. It didn't look exactly like this ...

Cartoon binarism is back? : Mrgreen:

Scientific and technological progress since, should we forget them?
Try to forget something and tell me if you can. : Mrgreen:

it only exists as long as there is an industrial substrate, it should not be forgotten, and there is no industrial substrate without an abundance of fossils. Making a pump or a solar water heater is not that easy. You can imagine that it will last without a fossil, but there is no known example at the moment.

As for the general aspect of the wooden construction which is only one month old, one can doubt its durability, since that is what concerns you. The old houses in Brittany which have stood for centuries do not look like this.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."