cold room to store vegetables and canned

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Jardinierbricoleur
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

cold room to store vegetables and canned

by Jardinierbricoleur » 02/05/14, 20:40

Hello my friends,

To keep my vegetables in lockers and store my preserves, I built a positive cold room in the basement.

If that can give you ideas:

---> Build a cold room to store vegetables

The vegetable baskets:

0 x
mounir231
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

remerciment

by mounir231 » 09/11/14, 23:26

Thank you very much for this information and good courage
0 x
the air conditioning is simple with me
cold room !
wall mounted air conditioning!
Jardinierbricoleur
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Self-sufficiency projects (cold room)

by Jardinierbricoleur » 07/04/15, 00:55

Thank you very much for the encouragement.

You will find all my self-sufficiency projects

here ---> My self-sufficiency projects.
0 x
Jardinierbricoleur
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Your cold room

by Jardinierbricoleur » 29/01/16, 05:00

And then friends,

Did you build your cold room?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/01/16, 08:17

Hello,
In view of the uninsulated walls, you seem to be counting on the outside cold to maintain the inside.
How is it going with 30 ° outside?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Your cold room

by Obamot » 29/01/16, 09:40

Jardinierbricoleur wrote:And then friends,

Have you built your cold room?

No because in absolute terms, fruits and vegetables it would be better not to keep them for a long time but to consume them as soon as possible after picking (the fruits still pass until ripening, but at room temperature) because otherwise they lose a lot of their nutrients and properties.

Besides, the best storage system is freezing.
I admit that there are things that keep longer than others in a cool, dry place away from light (onions, unwashed potatoes and carrots, cabbage) but these are exceptions. And I admit that we cannot eat everything during the harvest, but we can either dispose of it or keep it in a more appropriate way than in a cold room (which as Izentrop says, will only work limited part of the year limited to winter months, not like in Canada).
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/01/16, 12:01

Obamot wrote:
Jardinierbricoleur wrote:And then friends,

Have you built your cold room?

No because in absolute terms, fruits and vegetables it would be better not to keep them for a long time but to consume them as soon as possible after picking (the fruits still pass until ripening, but at room temperature) because otherwise they lose a lot of their nutrients and properties.
I keep my apples in the cellar, which is the same 8)
They lose flavor as you go along but that doesn't stop me from consuming them until May.
It takes energy to freeze.
As for the vitamins and nutrients lost over time, would you have a serious document with measured quantification of losses over time as a function of temperature?
Because if after 2 months 50% of vitamins are missing, it does not matter if it is sufficient for our needs.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 29/01/16, 13:02

I did say that until maturation the storage / storage posed no problem!

izentrop wrote:As for the vitamins and nutrients lost over time, would you have a serious document with measured quantification of losses over time as a function of temperature?

It is rather for those who claim to be able to keep them without loss, to prove that they could!
Already the rate of acidity and sugar varies, it is already an irrefutable biochemical element of alteration / maturation. The appearance of spots on the skin and so many other alterations (including taste) are so many others.

izentrop wrote:Because if after 2 months 50% of vitamins are missing, it does not matter if it is sufficient for our needs.

You answer your own question by admitting a degradation of said nutrients.
Whether it be "sufficient"(or not) is another question to evaluate at the orthomolecular level. It is precisely part of my job.
If you want, and if you allow the analogy: when you see cows grazing in a field, they eat practically all day without interruption. So yes losing 50% of nutrients in the meals of a human which boils down to 3x 40 minutes per day (if all goes well) makes the remainder insufficient (even if it does not cause instant death, it is clear that it is harmful in the long run, especially in an elderly subject ...)
I could multiply the examples and arguments ...

As for freezing, it is precisely the mode of conservation which causes the least loss (the Canadians of which the author of the thread is a part should know this, given the temperatures that prevail there throughout the year). Regarding precisely the power consumption of a freezer in Canada, I think it should not be very high !!! LOL ...

And the reflection is incorrectly formulated with regard to the price, because we should be able to compare the health benefits of freezing and not exclusively VS the loss of vitamins due to a less appropriate mode of preservation!
Last edited by Obamot the 29 / 01 / 16, 13: 13, 1 edited once.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/01/16, 13:09

This year fall and the start of winter were far too hot.
Even in a cool and dark cellar my potatoes have been germinated for a good month.
It is only since the January frosts that it has finally been quite cold in my cellar, but too late.
The potatoes will not keep until but it is safe. At this rate there in 1 month everything will be done.
0 x