Use-by date, a food mess for?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Use-by date, a food mess for?

by Christophe » 28/03/13, 13:34

Here is an article to initiate a debate that I have had in mind for a while:
are not the expiration or use-by dates responsible for much of the food mess... for nothing since most foods are still good to eat for days or even weeks after this date?

Some people are very strict (paranoid?) On this, and go so far as not to eat anything the day before the date ... I don't mind that and I recently, to "see", ate an expired yogurt over 2 1/2 months! :)

I am not dead nor even sick!

Obviously this yogurt remained closed and cool (lost in the bottom of the fridge in fact and it was just a little more creamy than a fresh one).

Be careful not to confuse the cold chain with the expiration date: a food whose date is still ok which has been "warm" can be very dangerous!

Also you have to be quite strict on certain foods (as much on the date as the cold chain): fish and meats because there it can be fatal ! Reminds me one day of having eaten cream herring only 2 or 3 days old (and already open) and did not feel good at all after ... was it cream or herring no idea ...

That's good I almost do not miss any more meat ...

Here is the article: http://www.ledauphine.com/vaucluse/2013 ... -consommer on the other hand, I have a doubt about the legality of their business ... selling only expired products should not please the DASS very much ... and why should a convenience store not be subject to the same laws as the mass market?

Many of us, opening our cupboards, realize that the date written on a packet of cookies, a tin can or a bottle of soda has passed. So if in doubt, throw it out. However, if the precautionary principle is commendable for certain products such as meat or dairy products, you should know that others, called “dry”, can be consumed up to 10 years after the date indicated on the packaging!

50 to 70% cheaper than in supermarkets

This is the message that Amandine Salvador and Jean-Marc Terragno want to get across. These Carpentrassiens open Wednesday March 27 “food destocking”, understand a brand that resells these products whose date has passed, but which are completely consumable, at discounted prices. “The first month, I think we will have to explain to customers well that no, they will not get sick if they drink a soda from 2011 or if they eat a can from 2010. These products are not expired "explains the young woman.

Once the preconceived ideas are broken, it is a safe bet that the concept quickly finds its place. Because the products sold will be from -50 to -70% cheaper than in supermarkets. “Big box stores cannot sell products whose deadline has passed. Often, they sort through before the deadline arrives. They donate these products to associations such as the Red Cross, Catholic Relief, etc. Then, when the date has passed, we buy these products from these associations. "

But this food destocking sign is not a social store. “It's open to everyone. There is no quota, no registration. We will come to our place as we go to any supermarket, ”says the couple.

Fruit and vegetables coming soon

On the shelves of Amandine and Jean-Marc, products whose date has passed, but not only. “We also sell products that have been banned from supermarkets because of a labeling error, a defective pallet. For example, if madeleines are slightly crushed, the supermarkets will not sell them. We do. "

If Wednesday the products offered will be mainly cleaning products, drugstores, bottles of fruit juice, sodas, beers, wine, and all kinds of canned goods, pastries and frozen foods, Jean-Marc Terragno will also be offering fruit and vegetables in a few months. "From local producers," they say.

“Destock Prim” opens Wednesday March 27, at 1 899 chemin de Saint-Gens, in Carpentras. Open Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 14 to 19 p.m., and Sunday from 9 to 12:30 p.m.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/13, 13:46

For the little story...

When I arrived in Belgium in 2005, I quickly noticed the corners of “discounted” shelves (generally 50%, 30% in hard discount stores) because the expiration date was close (same day or next).

It did not exist in France at the time, but it has happened since ... does it require a crisis?

It is a good method to limit the waste and to remain in the legality of the sanitary laws, but that must require a sacred personal for browsé the rays every day ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 28/03/13, 14:20

Christophe wrote:It is a good method to limit the waste and to remain in the legality of the sanitary laws, but that must require a sacred personal for browsé the rays every day ...
Anyway, you have to go to the shelves to remove the expired products ...
Removing them a day earlier to bring them to the head of the department does not require much additional effort.
And every evening, we throw the contents of the bin at the head of the department without additional sorting.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/03/13, 14:21

Do not confuse DLUO and DLC!

DLC: in principle, we should not consume more; the sale is prohibited (it is the promotions - 50% the day before with mention "DLC short"); that said, a margin is always included and therefore has to be adjusted; depending on the product, I still eat the next day / two or even several days after ... No association, no "charitable" restaurant would take the risk of distributing or serving!

Best before: it is only a question of "quality", taste, etc ... The products can still be sold; consumption is safe ... The stores of products whose shelf life is exceeded, I have not heard of 1 or 2 years ago ...

It is obviously a DLUO given the products mentioned: sodas, canned food! [note that the sardines are getting better!]

[it was my contribution of the day to the fight: "ah when the media will stop doing sensationalism" or "Ah if one day the media were precise!"]
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/13, 14:43

Yes there are 2 possible dates ....

Best before date for optimal use (for those who are not sure)

Only, rarely the 2 dates are put on the products ...

And the BBD is often assimilated to a DLC by the uninformed consumer (i.e. the vast majority)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/03/13, 16:43

Christophe wrote:Yes there are 2 possible dates ....

Best before date for optimal use (for those who are not sure)

Only, rarely the 2 dates are put on the products ...

Well, it's one of the two, depending on the nature of the product (dry products, preserves, etc. these are Best before; fresh, perishable products, these are DLC!)

Often it is the wording (in France at least): "to consume preferably before ... "It's a DLUO. It's the" best before ... "

For the DLC, it's something like: Deadline or Before ... Or just a date (yogurts) ...

I have to look again!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/13, 17:03

Yes the same distinction as in the article and in my intro ...

The concern is that the vast majority of consumers assimilate the BBD to a DLC ...

In fact to do well, we should put the 2 ... on those who have a BBD ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/03/13, 18:36

Christophe wrote: should put the 2 ... on those who have a BBD ...

Definitely, I don't understand you:

- if it is a DLUO, this means that it can be kept "almost indefinitely" (there is never any danger, you can eat the seeds found in an Egyptian pyramid!) but that at- beyond such date, it loses a little its qualities: "taste", richness in such nutrient, color, etc ... to the point that one day it will end up being "disgusting" (u taste or to the sight), but not "inedible" ... So no DLC possible.

Ex a beer can not: it will have lost its gas, etc ... But if it tastes you, you can drink it! Ex a wine, it will be made, etc ... but drinkable without risk to your health (well, excluding alcoholism) ...

- if it is a DLC, it means that beyond a certain date, the product can become dangerous, toxic, etc; but then the DLUO does not make sense; it tastes good until the DLC, or even beyond, but from the DLC it may no longer be very edible ... (risk, with a huge margin, that's why we to all eat products that have passed the DLC without having all finished in the emergency room - but some, yes!)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/03/13, 18:38

Christophe wrote:
The concern is that the vast majority of consumers assimilate the BBD to a DLC ......

Indeed, it took me a while to make my family eat yogurts or rollmops that had passed the date!

Note, this is more and more taught at school, but as the students rarely listen, they will continue to be "fooled"! "Zavez ka ékouté 1 little!
0 x
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marcel » 28/03/13, 19:07

Small details concerning the BBD according to the regulations of the DGCCRF:

Mandatory information
"Consume preferably
before… ”followed by the day
and of the month
Durability of the product Less than 3 months

"Consume preferably
before end… ”followed by the month and
of the year
Durability of the product Between 3 and 18 months

"Consume preferably
before end ”followed by the year
Durability of the product Greater than 18 months

So, it is not only the dates to be observed but also the surrounding terms.
And then after that, there is also your sense of smell and your sight which
also allow to judge an edible state or not ...
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"