Local seasonal purchase: Delhaize invents the May apple?!?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Local seasonal purchase: Delhaize invents the May apple?!?

by Christophe » 14/05/12, 16:02

Seen at Delhaize (supermarket chain well known in Belgium): the apple is considered a fruit of local season as early as May ..

Uh, I missed an episode? Can someone explain to me? We would have invented apple trees with double harvest and winter bloom?

I have no photo of the poster in question but I think it the next time I go!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 14/05/12, 16:53

The trees sometimes confuse autumn with spring, blooming staggering 6 months, like my grapefruit that bloomed one in November and not just in May, so I would have 3 or 4 aberrant grapefruit in June, July !!

So we can handle them certainly to be shifted 6 months!

For harder apple trees, to fake the winter in summer than for grapefruits that do not lose all their leaves in mild winter, !!!

Unless their apples come from South Africa or Argentina, as for spring pears !!
Oil remains cheap !!!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/05/12, 17:55

dedeleco wrote:Unless their apples come from South Africa or Argentina, as for spring pears !!

This is obviously what I thought at the beginning but there was clearly the origin: "Belgium" ... maybe it should read "frigos de Belgique"? :| :| :|

The apples were not very beautiful ...

So a new form of Greenwashing or there are orchards with air-conditioned greenhouses in Belgium that reverse the natural cycle ??? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/05/12, 18:24

Christophe wrote:
maybe it should read "frigos de Belgique"? : | : | : |
:

Fridge from Belgium + controlled atmosphere

See eg:

http://www.agriculturedumaghreb.com/agr ... vation.pdf (This is a French article!)
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 14/05/12, 18:56

Some species of apples, even organic, are kept all winter, in good conditions, very studied, as in this pdf of Morocco.
But even at home, with more losses !!!!

The pears are kept much shorter.
In spring they come from Argentina !!!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/05/12, 19:30

Exact.

There were - still exist but no longer cultivated - varieties "of guard". These are real stones at the harvest. Inedible.

And then their ripening is done slowly, in cellar, after the harvest.

"The old people" thus had collections of varieties, ranging from "harvest apples" (ripe from July) to varieties for keeping, edible until April / May as long as they were well preserved in a cellar, on straw, without "beating" them ...

And then, Golden, Granny, Pink Lady, etc ... arrived! This was "progress" !!! And he raged ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 14/05/12, 20:39

The "season" when we eat them or when we harvest them? : Cheesy: :D

Yes, I know the answer ... :D We should know exactly what is meant by "seasonal fruits"? As soon as the fruits can continue maturing out of the tree until the moment of their perfect ripening! They continue to turn their sugar into acid until then!
Nevertheless, I would say like DD. Some varieties of apples are kept in the cellar, and like Did67 under refrigeration with oxygen depleted or replaced by Co2 to slow this maturation - the time it is possible and / or desired - it seems to me. When they come out they are as if they had just been picked and continue their maturation stage ...

So for me it's a "seasonal fruit all year long"... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/05/12, 21:32

Do not search unnecessarily: it is a name "without precise definition"; therefore, anything that attracts the consumer or prompts him to buy is good for display.

The "bobos" now only eat seasonal fruits, or local fruits ... Well, we post that for our apples stored in the fridge and under a controlled atmosphere.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/05/12, 12:44

This year there will be almost no apples especially in Dordogne (frost of April) !!!

And nothing at the end of winter!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/05/12, 18:00

Did67 wrote:The "bobos" now only eat seasonal fruits, or local fruits ... Well, we post that for our apples stored in the fridge and under a controlled atmosphere.

Yeah but if it's the case, it's intellectual scam (and not that) ...
0 x