Make syrup for children ... and not the children

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Make syrup for children ... and not the children

by Christine » 24/05/11, 11:35

Giving syrup to children often makes it possible to please them while remaining economical. But 2-3 euros for water, sugar, some plant extracts, I find that it is a lot and I have the impression that it is mainly the dyes and the bottle in bright colors that we pay there.

Take mint, for example: it is a prolific plant and you can easily harvest a few large handfuls.
-We place them in a large casserole dish, cover with boiling water and a lid and let macerate for a good day.
- The next day, filter, place on the fire, add 1kg of sugar per liter of water (more or less depending on your taste). It is brought to a boil and the sugar dissolves. It's ready!
- As you will have prepared a large quantity to store them, you can fill clean stirrup bottles (or mechanical stopper) and immerse for a few seconds in boiling water. The syrup should be hot when it is poured into the bottles. Close. You can taste mint syrup all year round, 100% natural and at rikiki prices.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/05/11, 11:41

Uh a few large handfuls of mint how much in grams (about per L of water?)? I know it's quite subjective (depending on everyone's tastes) but it's better to give a range isn't it?

What is there like other leaf-based perfumes easily doable in our countries?

Otherwise can it be fermented? : Oops: (syrups for adults only)

Then it’s when do you explain how to make beer? Hiips
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 24/05/11, 12:26

Christophe wrote:Uh a few large handfuls of mint how much in grams (about per L of water?)

It does not hurt ... enough to perfume the amount of water you want to put in it ...
I will weigh the next time but we will have to wait a little while there is enough mint in the garden :D

Christophe wrote:Otherwise can it be fermented? : Oops: (syrups for adults only)

Not that I know, but I just read a recipe for wine flavored with mint: macerate 30 g of mint (and not 29 or 31g, Christophe : Lol: ) in 1 liter of white wine for 48 hours and filter. Add mint essence if necessary.

Christophe wrote:Then it’s when do you explain how to make beer?

At the moment I don't know, but I think I found something for you while waiting ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/05/11, 12:38

Well for the mint I think this year will be difficult, very small there given the lack of water .... well for the moment ... the season is not over!

By cons there is thyme which is in bloom as it has never been: can we make syrup with thyme?

For mint wine (syrup for adults), I think that alcohol extracts aromas more easily (and above all it already tastes) than water, so in syrups it must be more, but as said, c is just to have a fork! (there are also stronger mints than others ...) ....

Then am not an ayatola of culinary measures: 29 or 31 g it's the same obviously!

Like flavored wine, it reminds me of maitrank (woodruff wine): hop a recipe to indicate for thirsty econologists :)

I don't know why, I have the impression that the money forum "drink (alcoholic)" will be more active than the others : Mrgreen:

Also, will you explain to us how to make elderberry wine?

ps: is kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the something?
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 24/05/11, 17:13

Hello,

This year I made poppy syrup ....
Easy :
100 gr of petals only for 2 l of water.
Do not wash them before. Boil for 10 minutes with the juice of a lemon then let it sit for at least two hours. Filter in Chinese and add the sugar (about 500 gr). Reduce slowly for at least an hour until the desired consistency.

Very beautiful color but not exhaustive taste. Perfect for decorations of whipped cream ...

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 24/05/11, 17:24

Christophe wrote:By cons there is thyme which is in bloom as it has never been: can we make syrup with thyme?
Yes, but it is not the flowers that are interesting 8)
0 x
jessle
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jessle » 24/05/11, 20:46

for coffee lovers

coffee syrup

1l water
ground coffee 200gr
sugar 500gr

boil for 1 / 4h ground coffee in water.
filter
add sugar
leather do everything until boiling.
bottle
0 x
Cervesia
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Cervesia » 26/06/12, 19:27

elderberry lemonade
elderberry wine
Elderberry Syrup

near queen wine
meadowsweet syrup

google search and your affinities

to make a syrup of freshly picked flowers (queen, mint elderberry etc.)
put in a large container or in a demijohn 2 to 3 handfuls of flowers, 1 lemon finely cut by l and a kg of sugar for a liter of water; leave to infuse for 24 hours, stirring often (to melt the sugar) and a few cloves (to avoid overgrowth of merdouilles), then cook everything until the flowers are pearly to transparent; filter and bottle very hot but not hot with regard to your hands!
good cold storage (cellar or other)

to make a star anise syrup - excellent anti-viral anti-flu -
go to the electric mill (solar : Mrgreen: ) 5 to 6 large spoons of star anise - or star anise - and cook in the same weight of water as sugar directly - without brewing before
bottle hot ....

a dose of star anise syrup and a dose of mint syrup (homemade too eh!) it makes you a parrot without alcohol !!! :P

yes I have others! : Lol:
but there I am hungry !!!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Make syrup for kids ... and not just kids

by Obamot » 26/06/12, 21:23

Yes indeed, the consumption of sugary drink gives HUNGER ...

Sorry, but I will give a diametrically opposite opinion!

Never sugar drink, prefer to give a fruit to a child! This is without danger. Syrup and sodas are to be avoided. Prepare your drinks with herbal teas if you want, but WITHOUT SUGAR!

Christine wrote:Giving syrup to children often makes it possible to please them while remaining economical. But 2-3 euros for water, sugar, some plant extracts, I find that it is a lot and I have the impression that it is mainly the dyes and the bottle in bright colors that we pay there.

Take mint, for example: it is a prolific plant and you can easily harvest a few large handfuls.
-We place them in a large casserole dish, cover with boiling water and a lid and let macerate for a good day.
- The next day, we filter, we place on the fire, add 1kg of sugar per liter of water (more or less depending on your taste). It is brought to a boil and the sugar dissolves. It's ready!
- As you will have prepared a large quantity to store them, you can fill clean stirrup bottles (or mechanical stopper) and immerse for a few seconds in boiling water. The syrup should be hot when it is poured into the bottles. Close. You can taste mint syrup all year round, 100% natural and at rikiki prices.

That's a very bad idea! Here is a recipe which, if it becomes a habit, can make the whole family diabetic!

Sorry, but it is pure madness to get the kids to taste sweet! And the first responsible for that are the ... parents!

Besides, if we go shopping in the mountains, we rather put a little sea salt in the drinks and possibly a little bit of liquid honey to mask the taste of the salt, but nothing more! The salt is energizing and will better fix the water in the tissues ... So less evaporation during the race and therefore less perspiration.

There are so many other ways to make it WITHOUT sugar. Like tea. Besides, why add mint sugar which already naturally has a sweet scent! Add possibly stevia (although I'm against it) but especially not sugar.
Syrup is a very popular fashion among mothers, who quickly realized intuitively the benefit they could get from it. Indeed, the sugar gives a surge of insulin and the child (the baby) .. sleeps, it does not cry any more and everyone is happy !!! So he gives peace to the mother who no longer needs to repress him! Medically it is a very bad habit: sheer madness. But it is a very big mistake to correct nutritionally.

Sugar in older children has other devastating effects if they get used to it. It is the acidification of the organism (the acid attacks require basic compensation by the organism, which will draw on the bones and teeth: which is a growing disaster!). And it makes children very aggressive! They are therefore hungry because they need to compensate for this aggressiveness!
It is the first path to bulimia and early obesity.
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 26/06/12, 21:35

Yes banish sugar. I am 100% to proscribe.
We are talking about glucose, what about fructose?
Is it also harmful?
Does it sugar 2 times less?
Honey is also extra and has dozens of flavors.

We can no longer make homemade verbena :frown: Good luck.
The recipe takes a hit.
It's the death of jams and fruit pastes :frown:
And my brain addicted to 2 grams per cup of espresso coffee in the morning
I take 3 cups. Or 6 sugars : Cry:
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru