electricity carbon footprint

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Clay
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

electricity carbon footprint

by Clay » 26/04/10, 13:22

Bonjour.
I would like to know that it is the emission factor for the generation of electricity from natural gas (combined cycle).

I did research and got my hands on this figure: 430 g CO2 / kW.h.
source: Jean-Pierre BOURDIER. Unfortunately his article is no longer available, it annoys me because I do not know if this calculation takes into account:
- emissions linked to the provision of this primary energy to the power plant
Electric.
- emissions that have been generated by the construction of the production facility.
- losses online.
?
How much would this figure (430) increase if other greenhouse gases emitted during production were taken into account?

Thank you in advance.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 26/04/10, 16:31

The Qty of CO2 produced by natural gas combustion is approximately 230g / KW.h of primary energy (approx 100L gas, or 0.1 m3)

If the electricity is produced by a gas turbine on alternator + after combustion, then combined cycle with the vapor produced by the flue gases, the yield can reach 60%, which is very good (much better than with nuclear)

The result on electricity production (excluding transport) would therefore be 230 / 0,6 = 380 g of CO2 / Kw.h of electrical energy produced

Transformation losses and long-range transport losses shall be in 10%, ie 380x1.1 = 420 g CO2 / Kw.h of final electrical energy

compare to the 500g CO2 / Kw.h of final energy produced by the ERDF in winter (Eh yes ...) voir https://www.econologie.com/forums/comparatif ... t7776.html
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Clay
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Clay » 26/04/10, 18:17

Capt_Maloche wrote:The Qty of CO2 produced by natural gas combustion is approximately 230g / KW.h of primary energy (approx 100L gas, or 0.1 m3)
Yes
Capt_Maloche wrote:If the electricity is produced by a gas turbine on alternator + after combustion, then combined cycle with the vapor produced by the flue gases, the yield can reach 60%, which is very good (much better than with nuclear)

In general the efficiency for a combined cycle revolves around this value 60%?
Capt_Maloche wrote:Transformation losses and long-range transport losses shall be in 10%, ie 380x1.1 = 420 g CO2 / Kw.h of final electrical energy

It is not far from the figure that I had advance so according to your approach this figure does not take into account:
-the emissions linked to the provision of this primary energy to the electrical power station.
- the emissions that were generated by the construction of the production facility.

420 g CO2 / Kw.h , the other greenhouse gases are negligible? so that we try to speak rather of eq g CO2 / kW.h.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 26/04/10, 21:14

60% for recent equipment, yes

other greenhouse gases?
It should be known that the CO2 has an implication, but less than the water vapor, and much less than the methane for example

Whatever the nature of the greenhouse gases released, it is the runaway that must be feared

on the other hand, the primary source of heating of our planet is the sun, and it is not a constant
For example, at this moment it is 3 years that we have no more solar eruptions or tasks and oddly, the winters are colder and colder

see for example the little ice age towards 1600
see here: http://www.dinosoria.com/periode_glaciaire.htm
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
Clay
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Clay » 27/04/10, 11:17

other greenhouse gases?

Yes, as part of the combined cycle.
It should be known that CO2 has an implication, but less than water vapor
Is the emissions of water vapor and methane are included in the value you have advanced.

Whatever the nature of the greenhouse gases released, it is the runaway that must be feared

What do you mean by the runaway?
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 18/05/10, 22:27

Well,

The more greenhouse gases there are, the more the temperature "should" increase

if the T ° increases, it releases other greenhouse gases, like Permafrost, these gases released by the melting of the lands in Russia for example

The problem is that, all the 70 000 years around we find equivalent temperature peaks at the level of our current T °

these peaks last only 10 000ansans on average
see here http://www.climat-evolution.com/article-19612173-6.html
and we are at the end of our

On the fringes of these "peaks" the average temperature is 7 ° C lower !! it's huge !! and this is the usual average T ° of the earth

By and large, with 7 ° C less on average, there is no more arable land, because the entire planet is under the galce and the level of the sea 30m lower (Water is on the land)

See also, the role of solar activity: http://www.dinosoria.com/soleil-cycle.html
We know indeed that a clear climatic degradation spread between 1550 and 1850. The Little Ice Age experienced several peaks, especially between 1691 and 1709.

It is quite amusing to note that the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) considers that the Sun plays no role in the current warming of the climate.

Astronomers are not of this opinion because it turns out that solar activity is far from constant.
One could almost speak of chaotic activity which makes any forecast very difficult.
0 x