Geoengineering: cool the Earth against warming

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Geoengineering: cool the Earth against warming

by Christophe » 16/12/06, 14:06

How to cool the Earth against global warming?

Yes you read that correctly, it is the title of the last S&V ... starting from the assumption that the damage is done and in the event of a runaway of the warming, this file presents 4 solutions (some of which are largely questionable) of Geoengineering.

1) Deflect solar radiation with a "space" parasol.

In my opinion, the most wacky and "fictionalist science" of the proposed solutions which consists in sending 20 million probes (si si) filled with deflector at the level of the lagrange point at 1,5 million km from the Earth (the gravity or gravity solar = terrestrial gravity).

Purpose: to decrease the solar flux of 1,8% by creating a permanent spot on the Earth of several thousand km.
Duration: 50 years ...

2) Deflect and absorb solar radiation by "sulfurizing" the atmosphere

Somewhat the same process as the 1) but staying on Earth (thus already more reasonable) by spraying H2S in the upper atmosphere which would quickly transform into SO2 deviating thus the solar rays.

Aim: to gain "a few degrees" over 10 years

ps: H2S is lethal at high concentrations. At low concentration it "stinks of egg". It can be felt near refinery fuel desulphurization units ...

3) Raise the Gulf Stream

By 8000 autonomous seawater pumping platforms intended to "boost" the Gulf Stream with cold salt water at the right time of the year (thaw).

Purpose: add 1 million m3 to thermomarine circulation

When we know the strength and thermal power of the Gulf Stream (thermal power equivalent to 1 million nuclear reactors) ... this solution seems very pitiful ...

4) Boosting the plankton sulfate Iron

The most "realistic" and undoubtedly effective solution which consists in boosting the plankton (and therefore the marine food chain) of certain areas of the ocean which are in deficit. The CO2 absorbed by the plankton is permanently stored in the underwater sediments of the corpses of their predator.

goal: to compensate 15% of our emissions CO2

Conclusion: none of these solutions seems efficient enough to solve the problem of global warming.

Knowing that we have, roughly speaking, currently rejected no more than 1/3 of the "fossil carbon" that can be exploited by man ... what can we say other than: we are in the ...
Last edited by Christophe the 23 / 05 / 11, 14: 24, 3 edited once.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 16/12/06, 15:42

To "fix" things on earth, there is also "nuclear winter", which would be a sovereign remedy.
A few years without sun, and the earth will certainly cool down. As a bonus, a rapid decline in the flora that will resist in part, wildlife, and rapid depopulation of the land, to famine, disease and local conflicts.
The industry will stop. And the survivors will change their mentality ...
More exacerbated growth, but a mistrust at all technological, and a daily search to support its survival.
In short! A new world, which had its fallow period and whose inhabitants changed their mentality.
--------
(I bought this S&V, for the new article on pyramid stones that would have been poured like concrete. Technology that would be found in other very old monuments. I thought Pitmix, reader of this journal, was going to tell us about it. talk.)
:D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/12/06, 14:03

Rah Gegyx immediately the extremes ... : Cheesy:

Otherwise in this S&V there is also a method to refuel from CO2 ... but at what energy cost (the answer is not in the article)? That is the question!
0 x
Jean-Jean
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

"Save Gaïa!": A partial solution ...

by Jean-Jean » 13/02/07, 00:30

The Sahara is the largest arid desert in the world, and it continues to grow especially because of human activities, such as extensive farming ...

The existence of large depressive zones (more than 10 000 km2!) Offers us a solution of geo-engineering in order to regain useful agricultural surface:
Flooded with water from the Mediterranean, large areas of evaporation could be created, increasing the hydrometric rates around and perhaps increase the rare rainfall.

It is not a question of trying to recapture the entire Sahara, but to revive areas that have been in the near past.

I invite you to discover, share and share a part of utopia in a world that needs it:

http://web.mac.com/savegaia/iWeb/flower ... venue.html

To you to discover, (re) visit, comment and make known this website-blog!

Sincerely,
0 x
Horace
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/02/07, 09:20

Oh gently guys with the cooling of the earth!

I know, the warming of the earth is worrying, but:

( I live in Belgium)

this winter, I had to heat considerably less, ditto for industries, public buildings, etc.
as it is better, I have less desire to go on holiday in Spain.
travel issues, it is technologically easy to reduce household consumption by 30%
warming is relatively slow

I think that trying a brutal cooling (which in my humble opinion will not fix the temperature of the nights, so involve the use of air conditioning) would be worse than the harm.
I say, break the sorcerer's apprentices!

I think rather that a drastic policy of population limitation is much more urgent
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/02/07, 09:59

elephant wrote:I think that trying a brutal cooling (which in my humble opinion will not fix the temperature of the nights, so involve the use of air conditioning) would be worse than the harm.
I say, break the sorcerer's apprentices!

Uh ... I do not know if your comment is ironic or if you did not read what the subject was talking about but it was never about cooling the earth (you know the journalists like to do in the sensational .. .) but to limit the impact of warming.

It's not exactly the same thing.

To return to our beloved Belgium, a perturbation of the gulf stream of some 10% would turn it into Siberia ... This is the 3 method mentioned above.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 26/05/07, 02:22

elephant wrote:[...] the warming is relatively slow [...]
:| Beuh ... you find?

Christophe wrote:[...] To return to our beloved Belgium, a perturbation of the gulf stream of some 10% would transform it into Siberia ... This is the 3 method mentioned above.
Nah, not really ...
The best point of comparison is British Columbia.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
jlvx
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

slow heating

by jlvx » 28/05/07, 22:17

when the figures accepted by the majority of experts, including those of the IPCC (not all of the "climatomogues, far, far from there), are 0,60 ° on average over the globe (by the way, that means absolutely nothing, because it covers regions which heat up and others which cool down), in short "all that" (0,60 °, or the "average" difference (and yes) between Nice and Marseille, (brr it's cold in the back ), all this since 1860, that is to say in 150 years, when the ugly man emitted giga mega peta tons of Co2 in addition (and that in addition, in 1860, the planet was coming out of a "mini ice age")?

It's almost laughable (but yes by the way, one must not be "revisionist", if not at the stake, long live the new inquisition, long live the new religion of climatologists-gurus-alarmists-especially scare me!

The man has had enough unconscious behavior for this planet pov deforesting agricultural urbanizing overexploiting the resources or simply polluting, so that one is interested in the consequences of these acts, instead of pretending to be able to control the climate by spending Mds for so-called limiting the CO2, while it is not the only GHG (by the way did you know that the water vapor represents 50 80% GHG according to experts (like what, seen the range of the range ...), that the actual incidence of the sun, the general circulation, not to mention the uncertainty about the incidence of the cloud albedo, + the el nino cycles etc ... and so there is more to be done to make the planet more livable and to curb the truly murderous behavior of the man.
By the way, do you know that the egg-heads and the European politicians decided that they would limit the increase of the temperature of the globe to + 2 °;
Hat, they are strong these Eurotechnocrats!
And yes, by the way, are Canadians or Russians or Chinese people etc not happy with using less energy (fossil) for heating?
(Long live the warming?)
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 29/05/07, 00:11

Whatever... : roll:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/07, 10:54

Woodcutter wrote:Whatever... : roll:

+1/2 but calm ... I thought your little "vacation" could have calmed your "edge" but apparently not too much ... : Cheesy:
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."