What is the power and energy of a hurricane?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

What is the power and energy of a hurricane?

by Christophe » 14/09/17, 18:35

Following this hurricane debate climate-change-co2 / fuck-you-earth-hurricane-2017-harvey-irma-jose-katia-payback-time-is-coming-t15349.html I asked myself that it was the amount of energy that could accumulate a hurricane and that it could develop power (in wind energy so a priori in first simplification ??) ...

In short, try to make a "small" energy balance of a hurricane ...

The Saffir Simpson scale currently used https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89che ... ir-Simpson does not speak at all of energy (not directly at least) but of force of wind and swell, for proof a category 5 can have a very different size (16 times more for Irma than a category 5 of 1992 ...)

I found this: http://www.iflscience.com/environment/h ... icane-get/ but it's mostly about the Saffir Simpson ladder and the evolution of the maximum wind speed ...

Does anyone have any idea of ​​the answer? Or the method to be used to estimate this? We can imagine doing it downstream (developed wind power and maybe that of rain?) Or upstream (accumulated solar power) ... I think downstream it would be easier knowing the average winds and the surface total of the hurricane (well the volume rather ...) ... that should give a rather interesting first approximation ... it would be necessary to add the energy of the "rain" to complete ... but that seems to me a lot more difficult to estimate, no?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: What is the power and energy of a hurricane?

by chatelot16 » 14/09/17, 22:18

of course if we had built wind turbines optimized to use the wind of 300 km / h it would have produced GW or TW for a few hours ... but not very profitable if it only works once every hundred years

and in addition there is no power grid capable of carrying this power ... there is no longer any electricity network to supply the inhabitants, all having been destroyed

it makes me think of the energy of the lightning, the enormous instantaneous power but no practical use possible
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/17, 22:36

It was not the economic "profitability" or any recovery * that I was trying to determine but the "meteorological" power ... Just to have an order of magnitude in mind (to be taken out during social dinners : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:) ...

The power of lightning is known precisely (some GW for a few fractions of a second so not much energy) so I would like to know that of a hurricane ..

* there is very little chance that the extra cost (which must be very important) of a wind turbine that withstands 300 km / h for a few hours each year is possible ... it would be necessary to pass on other technologies .. .
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/09/17, 22:54

in return to the future lightning even makes a gigot watt ...

see my way of bringing back to the profitability of a usable energy like humor, because it is quite obvious that there is nothing else to do with this energy than to place it in a social conversation
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/17, 09:51

Yes a "Gigot" Watt ... a very Hollywood unit which does not exist in real life (probably a bad translation of Giga ...) :)

Well, then, are we estimating these energy and power?
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 15/09/17, 10:35

According Sciences et Avenir, Irma would (with the big ladle) released an energy of 3 1017 J, about 80 TWh.

If we consider (always the big ladle) a lifetime of 10 days, it gives an average power of 330 GW.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/17, 11:02

Ah great thank you Gaston, a few tens of TWh is the order of magnitude that I expected ... I will look at their method of calculation ...
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 17/09/17, 18:53

In the program C ds l'air, a speaker gave the figure of one kW per m2.

With a size larger than that of France, he estimated IRMA to the equivalent of 2000 to 5000 nuclear reactors (probably when it was at 5 level).
So a power when it was at its maximum higher than the TW. Impressive!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/09/17, 19:08

what power or energy to quantify?

when there is wind there is a huge mass of air moving at a certain speed ... one could calculate the kinetic energy tolale ... huge when the moving mass of air is in thousand km2. .. but what good is it to calculate the total energy since it is inaccessible

except the cyclonic quirk that concentrates all the energy of the wind in a small area and makes a huge power too concentrated

to quantify the power of the cyclone could give some idea of ​​what could disturb a cyclone ... to break it into several less dangerous cyclones by creating additional vortices

would a big airliner be enough to disrupt a cyclone by going to the right place ... or is this completely stupid ... would it take a plane 10 once or 100 times or 1000 times bigger to think about it?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/17, 20:55

ENERC wrote:In the program C ds l'air, a speaker gave the figure of one kW per m2.

With a size larger than that of France, he estimated IRMA to the equivalent of 2000 to 5000 nuclear reactors (probably when it was at 5 level).
So a power when it was at its maximum higher than the TW. Impressive!

Calculation source?

So what? 2000 to 5000 nuclear reactors? Ok, that's a number we can talk about. But what are we talking about?

In thermal or mechanical power? Or in energy produced equivalent during the 10 days of life of Irma?

Seriously this figure is finally very vague (as much as that of the surface lol) ... and very different from 330 GW stated above (which I believe more personally ...)

Indeed: 2000 nuclear reactors in mechanical power (so 1 / 3 thermal power) is already 2000 GW (at least and 5000 at most) ... and 6000 GW (15000 GW) if we reason in thermal energy. ..

We are far from the 80 TWh of energy stored on 10 days ... since 2000 GW is 2 TW produce 80 TWh in 40h is less than 2 days ...

So who's right? I think the best thing is that we do our own estimation calculations!
0 x