Price inflation since 2000 in France

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

Price inflation since 2000 in France

by Christophe » 26/09/10, 13:53

Inflation between 2000 and 2008 in France:
https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... HZLesd.pdf

I have not taken the time to check the numbers but they seem consistent.
Last edited by Christophe the 26 / 09 / 10, 18: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
pb2488
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by pb2488 » 26/09/10, 17:00

Not quite consistent, it seems:

Examples:

The bread:
"In 1970, the minimum wage was 3.27 Fr. Divided by 60 minutes, this makes 0.0545 Fr
The average baguette is 0.57 Fr.
0.57 Fr / 0.0545 = 10.45 working mn.
In 1980, it takes 7.26 mn to buy a baguette.
In 1990, 6.28 mn is enough.
In 1998, we go to 6.04 mn.
In 2008, we went below 6 minutes with 5.85 minutes to be able to bring a baguette on the table. "
http://www.ambassadeurs-du-pain.com/site//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=58

Fuel:
"According to the FNAUT, one liter of fuel is equivalent to:
* 8 minutes of work in 1970
* 4 minutes of work in 2005 "
http://www.prixcarburant.com/post/2007/05/11/Valeur-reelle-des-prix-du-carburant-en-France-depuis-1970

More generally, the share of food in the household budget:
"Households devote 14% of their budget to food compared to the double in 1960. This is not really a decrease in the budget, expenditure continued to increase in constant euros but at a rate lower than the growth in purchasing power. "
http://www.lemoneymag.fr/v5/fiche/s_Fiche_v5/0,6171,13851,00.html
"Food is the first item in the budget of the most modest households which devote 21% of their expenditure to it. For the wealthiest households, it is transport that tops the list. The overall weight of these two items has decreased between 2001 and 2006. "
http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/document.asp?reg_id=24&ref_id=14167

Salary evolution:
http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/tableau.asp?ref_id=NATTEF04114
0 x
"The truth can not be defined as the majority opinion:
The truth is what follows from the observation of facts. "
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/09/10, 18:22

It remains consistent, it depends where you do your shopping : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Super links but you forgot 2 important passages in the 1er link:

Breakdown of the cost of a baguette in France in 2008.
22% attributable to the costs of flour, yeast, salt and water.
50% weighs on salaries and expenses.
11% of miscellaneous expenses (taxes, packing, transport, depreciation).
10% for energy and rent.
7% of income.

Comparison of increases since 2000, national average:

Electricity: 55% increase since 2000
Gas: 65% increase since 2000
Fuel: 40% increase since 2000
Gasoline: 25% increase since 2000
Rent: 25% increase since 2000
SMIC: 27% increase since 2000 (6,21-8,50)
Wheat: 250% increase since 2000 (70-175)
Baguette: 25% since 2000 (0,65-0,85)
Milk: 35% since 2000 (0,43-0,65)
Dry butter: 30% since 2000 (4,10-5,65)
Yeast: 35% since 2000 (1,10-1,70)
Water: 20% since 2000 (0,81-0,98)

And these are all "base" prices ... a pity that there is a lack of real estate + 100% and more in certain areas ... (Strasbourg) ... you can find us something in the style for the immovable? : Idea:

Has electricity taken 55% in France since 2000?
0 x
pb2488
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by pb2488 » 26/09/10, 18:41

Christophe wrote:It remains consistent, it depends where you do your shopping : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
No it is not consistent: some figures are wrong or do not make sense !!!
The average wage and the minimum wage have increased not decreased.
Household food budgets continue to decline, as has been the case for 40 years.
Purchasing power has almost never dropped in the last 10 years, nor in the last 40 years for that matter. Only for the past ten years, it has grown more slowly (in some years, it has decreased slightly).
But it is partly artificial: We maintain our purchasing power by borrowing because we refuse to lower our standard of living. It will stop the day those who lend us the alarm bells.

ps: The first quote is irrelevant.
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 26/09/10, 18:49

Sorry but when I look around, I don't really have the impression that the purchasing power keeps going up ... but we you and I live maybe not in the same world ...

Just look at what you had in food 10 years ago for around 500 francs (a full shopping cart), now it's € 150 for the equivalent ... it's much more than inflation!

Wages go up, but do they go up as fast as inflation and the cost of living? The question is there and bread is not the only cost of a life ...

Find us the figures on the evolution of property prices since 2000 and the% spent on housing in a home and we will talk about it again ...

Real estate is not taken into account in the calculation of inflation.

Where you are right is that we cry over food prices without looking, for example, the extraordinary purchasing power that we have with regard to household appliances, IT, telephony, stereo, travel, leisure... and without credit now please.

Finally, we should rather talk about the power to consume or even the power to throw ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 26/09/10, 20:35

Bein it's simple, question purchasing power Christophe. In my corner in the 80s it was relatively common to be able to afford an audiophile system between 10 and 20 sticks (euro equivalent) or 30'000.- Swiss francs (yet at the time, I had less "means" .. .). Who could do it today? At the time my colleagues in neighboring France told me that the day when oil would pass to FF 5. - it would be revolution in France ...! (the storming of the Bastille, at ciiiitoyennns aaaaaarrrrmes, train your low heels, we make you walk, walk etc ... because we are still waiting). : Cheesy:
And as you make us suppose, the cash cow is actually real estate. What is the family budget for this position? And health, 10% increase per year and it's been twenty years that it lasts.
I'm going to do my shopping in the border area since the euro is low for us, but surprise, the prices have increased by almost 50% since the introduction of the Euro (there are definitely some who have short memories and who would do better to think before posting, mebon, as we know some "artist posters" I feel that we risk being "pursued" for a good fifteen pages : Mrgreen: ).
What about current cars? Apart from the oil change, the tires, the air filter, the oil filter, changing the light bulbs and some minor operations, the car can hardly be repaired by going through a garage (the parts require an activation code), there too, suddenly it increases the transport budget.
Not for nothing either that the hard-discounters have emerged. Along with that, "Restos du cœur", we know that ...!
Our teacher. statistics explained to us in class, how easy it was to bias the statistics ... (The day when I would have a little more time I will make a subject on this subject, Gauss curves and standard deviations in support, but c is not very difficult ...)
It should perhaps not be forgotten either that the families are impoverished because of unemployment (which is not enough to live, it is therefore necessary to fall back on "family solidarity"). Casually it puts a strain on the budget and purchasing power all that!
Are we talking about wages? Did they follow the course of the euro ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Gébé
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Gébé » 26/09/10, 20:50

I did not know that real estate was not taken into account, but it is quite logical because the prices are cyclical: They had dropped a lot between 1990 and 1998, they increased a lot between 1998 and 2008 and I think that the the decline that has started since then and which is experiencing a short break will increase.
In addition, the price variations are not uniform but very different depending on the region.
In the first link, for what I know, for the baguette it is false, for the milk it is very false and for the potatoes do not speak about it ...
For current cars, with equivalent technologies, they have decreased, when maintenance costs, oil changes are now every 30 km and the manufacturer's warranty is often 000 years.
For energy, obviously it has increased but we suspected it a little and is it bad?
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 26/09/10, 21:50

So many parameters come into play.

Well, for example, in Belgium, real estate, the centerpiece of the family budget to triple, even quintupled in 20 years, when wages only increased by 1,85.
Clothes have dropped in price: knitting is no longer profitable
The audiovisual sector has dropped drastically: a VHS video recorder cost 60.000 FB in 1979 (1500 euros to multiply by 2,5) and now there are DVD players at 79 euros, or even less and hard disk recorders at 300 euros
On the other hand, the "technology-communications" budget of families has considerably increased: from 0 or almost in 1986, a family with 2 children must spend 1000 to 1500 euros in subscriptions of all kinds, and maintenance of the computer park.

Absolute prices are not to be considered: to calculate an index, you have to evaluate the proportion in annual household consumption and that changes
therefore, a measure will consist, for example of
600 euros X 12 of rent / mortgage
3000 liters of fuel oil
1/4 car and maintenance
365 chopsticks
180 kg of meat, broken down into pork, beef, poultry

In short, not simple ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
pb2488
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by pb2488 » 26/09/10, 21:58

Christophe wrote:Sorry but when I look around, I don't really have the impression that the purchasing power keeps going up ... but we you and I live maybe not in the same world ...
This is not my personal opinion, these are the figures and there is often a (large) gap between the feeling and the reality of the figures.

Christophe wrote:Wages go up, but do they go up as fast as inflation and the cost of living? The question is there and bread is not the only cost of a life ...
You give the answer a little lower:
Christophe wrote:Where you are right is that we cry over food prices without looking, for example, the extraordinary purchasing power that we have with regard to household appliances, IT, telephony, stereo, travel, leisure... and without credit now please.

It is good because, among other things, the food budget has been roughly halved in 2 years that we have found something to buy everything that you put in fat. Because, and this is universal, a household always spends its budget: If it saves on one item, it passes it on to another (new or not).

Christophe wrote:Real estate is not taken into account in the calculation of inflation.
Indeed, because it is not a consumer good but a long-term investment, for owners I hear.
The tenants are wronged on this point but I understand that there were recent measures in their favor.
With regard to house price inflation, this is undeniable. Only, as noted by Gébé, it is cyclical and in addition, it is largely due to housing aid (apl, etc ...) which has inflated demand.
0 x

bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 27/09/10, 09:32

It's a shame that you all still confuse:
- inflation,
- price inflation,
- monetary inflation.

Inflation, the one you feel, is the sum of price inflation and monetary inflation.

And when monetary inflation increases, price inflation increases in response.

Germany's problems in the 30s were currency inflation ...

And that is still our problem today.

To check : http://www.ecb.int/stats/money/aggregat ... ex.en.html

since 1997, it has been at least 10% per year. Adding up price inflation is easily 11% to 12% per year ...

If real estate prices rise relative to money, it may be the opposite: the value of real estate is relatively stable (ie the number of dwellings increases relatively little, and compensates for the loss of value due to global aging), but it is the value of money that decreases.

When you have € 1, you actually have a share, like a share, in our "European monetary cooperative".

But if the number of shares increases for the same "monetary cooperative", the value (and power) of each share decreases.
0 x
See you soon !