Financial crises, understanding them with Arte thema

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

Financial crises, understanding them with Arte thema

by Christophe » 02/07/08, 00:43

Thanks to Arte I understood (quite) exactly the subprime crisis and that of Eron in 2001 ...

I also understood that the crises were cyclical and that they are getting worse and worse, and only the intervention of the State makes it possible to avoid "the worst" (even in the USA, domain of liberalism) ... but For how much longer?

Too bad that I saw the last 30 minutes of "Bubbles, crashes and rebounds" ... Too bad that no one spoke about it on the forums before...

It is also the first time that I have heard an economist speak of "questioning our growth model" and "finite resources" ... Impressed I am!

From one crisis to another!

Falling stock markets, rising food prices, recession in the United States, rising oil prices, worry about growth in Europe ... The Western world has entered a new crisis. On the eve of the G8 meeting, explanations and analyzes in "Thema".

21h00 At the heart of the crisis
Documentary by Eve Challeton and Pierre Briançon (France, 2008, 52mn) Co-production: ARTE France, Éléphant & Cie

Has the virtual economy lost touch with the real economy? Back on the subprime crisis in the United States and its immediate consequences in Europe.

The 4 next July, the eight largest powers on the planet will meet in Japan as part of the G8. On the agenda of this strategic summit: the financial storm that strikes the global economy and the means to stop it. It all started in the US in April 2007 with the subprime crisis.
Today, many economists say: we have entered a black scenario reminiscent of 1929. The directors of this documentary have followed the daily life of the major players in the financial world to understand what motivates everyone. A real dive into the heart of financial mechanics, preparations for the G8 Christine Lagarde, Minister of Economy and Finance, the office of Dominique Strauss-Kahn, new boss of the International Monetary Fund, through the City and the setbacks traders, not to mention the headache experienced by SMEs struggling to finance themselves.

21h50 Bubbles, Crashes and Bounces
(France, 52mn) ARTE F
Director: Michel Kaptur, Author: Eli Cohen, Producer: Cineteve

In the last ten years, market regulators have managed to limit the consequences of major economic crises. And if the one we are going through was more serious?

Asian crisis, bankruptcy of the LTCM hegde fund, bursting of the Internet bubble, Enron bankruptcy and finally subprime crisis: five crises of varying duration and intensity, but five major economic crises in ten years. Each time, the global financial system has been put in jeopardy, each time a specific explanation has been put forward, each time the specter of the 1929 crisis has haunted the commentators, each time a rescue of the failing actors has been organized and each time the economy has rebounded. So much so that one comes to wonder whether the world economy has not become incredibly resilient and if, unlike 1929, our governments and regulators have not found the means to curb crises. But with the subprime crisis, traditional medicines no longer seem to work. This crisis, result of major disruptions, would it be the most serious? Do we really master the art of crisis management or are we getting closer, crisis after crisis, to the questioning of the whole system? A major question that this film explores.

22h40 Debate (France, 2008, 15mn)
ARTE F
Presenter: Thomas Kausch
repeats:
10.07.2008 to 11: 40

Guest: Olivier Ferrand (President of Terra Nova, a French "Think Tank")

http://www.arte.tv/fr/accueil/semaine/2 ... =2008.html
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 10 / 08, 15: 56, 1 edited once.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 02/07/08, 07:26

I also followed that, very interesting. It's not on a private channel that we would have seen that!
media / Sarkozy-in-off-on-france3-t5662.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/07/08, 09:18

Uh Arte is a private channel I think ...

Public, do you mean?
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 02/07/08, 10:44

Oh, I did not know that Art was private! You're sure ??
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 02/07/08, 10:51

It seems to me that it's still very public ...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arte_France
The capital of Arte France is held jointly by:

France Televisions (45%)
State (25%)
Radio France (15%)
INA (15%)
All shareholders are public companies, state or similar organizations

see also
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_T%C ... %A9visions
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 02/07/08, 10:55

I watched the entire show yesterday because I saw that it was entirely designed by Elie Cohen, who does not tell nonsense in general.

We have seen the anthology of all the excesses of capitalism. The problem does not lie in the systems, from the most liberal to the most statist, but in human nature. The lure of profit, cowardice, the most abject cynicism are still present in all these great financial scandals :|

Very good program that I recommend to see. It must be accessible in "podcast" ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/07/08, 11:14

So Arte is public :)
My fault.

On the other hand attention the figures concern only ARTE FRANCE ... one must see German side also but I suppose it is the same ... hence the absence of ADVERTISING on ARTE (so the law will not change much :D)

Remundo if you knew you would not have been able to create a subject.

It available on ARTE + 7 on the other hand it throws me:

Sorry, you must reside in Germany, France, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Reunion, French Polynesia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte, New Caledonia or French Southern Territories to view this video.

So if kk1 wanted to take the trouble to save her ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 02/07/08, 11:47

I try, but I can not ...

http://plus7.arte.tv/fr/detailPage/1697 ... 72942.html

et

http://plus7.arte.tv/fr/detailPage/1697 ... 72944.html

I tried the recent tutorial, right click-> property, but it doesn't work (no access to this menu)

Kekifofaire?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/07/08, 11:50

Have you tried with a camstudio or equivalent?

If not look at the source code of the page the url .asx or mms: // may appear?
Finally may not be too dreamy anyway, Arte has secured a hair ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 02/07/08, 11:53

Uh ... I'm not a pro ... :?

and how do you do to have the source code of the page?
0 x