Salary gap: an (old) Great Debate

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Salary gap: an (old) Great Debate

by Grelinette » 04/02/19, 15:11

This is a very old question, which is perhaps a pillar of income inequality in our society: can we impose a maximum gap between the lowest salary and the highest within the same company?

Possibly, we can modulate this difference depending on the size of the company, but the idea seems interesting to me when we learn that some CEOs or simple business leaders receive in compensation hundreds (thousands) of thousands of times the amount smic, not to mention the other advantages that are not taken into account ...

To realize the extent of the inequalities that exist within the same company, we measured the difference between the remuneration of CEOs and the average expenditure devoted to each employee of 47 companies listed on the stock market. In 2012, with a difference ranging from 1 to 264, the most unequal company was Publicis, followed by LVMH and Danone. The most "reasonable" companies in terms of salary scale are Iliad (Free), Bouygues and Safran. Enough to fuel the debate on the framing of executive compensation. Investigation.

What should be the reasonable remuneration gap between employees and their boss? In the 1930s, the industrialist Henry Ford, a great figure in capitalism, estimated that to be "admissible", the salary scale within a company should not exceed 1 to 40. A good half century later Following the 2008 financial crisis, President Barak Obama proposes to cap the annual compensation of executives of companies bailed out by the state at $ 500. A difference of approximately 000 to 1 from the minimum wage.
(Source: https://www.bastamag.net/Ecarts-de-remunerations-entre )
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

Re: Wage gap: a (former) Great Debate

by Christophe » 04/02/19, 15:39

I will answer the question indirectly ... finally try! : Cheesy:

1) For a few years now, I have understood that the "goal of life" of most people, that which consists in always earning more and therefore always raising more, was a vast hoax and a societal deception.

For those there, what is the purpose of life? Amass, amass and amass to consume as much as possible, even if it means consuming for anything! As long as we consume ... and this by earning a living anyway! The goal justifying the means ...

2) The richer we are, the more we consume the more we destroy and plunder the environment ... with rare "humanist" exceptions ...

We should start to respect consumerist humility more than envy consumerist exuberance!

Find the happiness in sobriety (happy sobriety) rather than in unhappy consumption (which I call consumption?? Company-and-philosophy / live-Prosper-eat-consomlation-arte-t9782.html )

What is the purpose of a man's life? The search for happiness, right? There would be less unhappy if we applied these methods more (I know that we are formatted in the opposite direction ..)

We must hate luxury instead of worshiping it ... a bit like the furs of the 80s (you know the jackpot at 10 francs from the Wheel of Fortune : Cheesy: ...) which have become old-fashioned: this must be generalized to all the outward signs of wealth! : Cheesy:

And hop, there will certainly be suddenly a lot less wealth gatherer ...

Signed Christophe le Rouge : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/19, 15:49

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/02/19, 23:07

Christophe, you write:
We have to hate luxury instead of worshiping it ...

To position oneself contrary to something is also to take it as a reference, therefore to justify it, and the best would be to disregard it to position oneself on a freely chosen positive value.

In the abbot's speech Pierre, which seems very strong, there is the apology for the fortune acquired "honestly", calls for productive investment and job creation, all of which explains, as I specified above, the fact that this kind of discourse is favorably received by the media, therefore passed on: what better support for economic liberalism than this vibrant plea which mixes genres so well, thus making its contribution to this confusionism which is blessed bread for the dominant?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
djo59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by djo59 » 04/02/19, 23:37

the most unequal company is Publicis, followed by LVMH and Danone

When we think that the founder of Danone (Antoine Riboud), at his time, pronounced (and did) a maximum difference of 20 for wages and a distribution to 3 thirds (1/3 shareholder, 1/3 investment, 1 / 3 salaries).
Times have changed
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 10:48

Ahmed wrote:Christophe, you write:
We have to hate luxury instead of worshiping it ...

To position oneself contrary to something is also to take it as a reference, therefore to justify it, and the best would be to disregard it to position oneself on a freely chosen positive value.

Isn't the greatest contempt (therefore not far from detestation) for something (or a person) to ignore it?

Your approach and mine are therefore not contradictory ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/02/19, 10:51

This is what I wonder ... Aren't you trying to catch up with the branches? : Lol:
And for the abbot Pierre?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 11:01

No no ... I'm a paraglider I remind you! No need for branches so not to fall : Mrgreen:

For Father Pierre, not much to add to your remark, a downside may be because it is not so accepted and disseminated as that ... since it is over 10 years old and I have it, personally, discovered only a few weeks ago (by chance) ..

The YouTube view counter shows that this is far from being a buzz ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 11:03

The Remix has (a little) more success:

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/02/19, 11:09

Not so widely used today, because now it's ancient history ...
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"