The unemployed dead: 10 at 14 000 in France!

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

The unemployed dead: 10 at 14 000 in France!

by Christophe » 03/02/19, 15:01

The subject of premature deaths from unemployment (or rather lack of activity?) had already been mentioned here or there:
economy-finance / j-am-very-bad-at-work-reportage-a-view-of-emergency-t4233.html
Company-and-philosophy / the-work-a-scam-of-more-doc-up-a-death-of-work-t8668.html
economy-finance / tomorrow-all-unemployed-t13279.html

Here is a specific subject because it is still quite serious and above all, ignored political or public debates!

[The figure] 10 000 14 000 deaths are attributable to unemployment every year in France

It is a major public health problem but has completely gone under radar. Every year, 10 000 14 000 deaths are attributable to unemployment in France. Chronic diseases, cardiovascular diseases, anxiety, depression, suicide, addictions reinforced by lack of self-esteem, giving up care ... The unemployed have an excess mortality twice as high as the assets of the same age.

Unemployment seriously affects health. According to several studies, between 10 000 and 14 000 deaths are attributable to unemployment every year in France. This is four times more than the number of people killed on the road, yet they are much less publicized. Unemployment would act as a catalyst and not a trigger, as excess mortality increases with the duration of unemployment.

Rising cardiovascular diseases, chronic diseases, cancers, but also stress, anxiety, increased addictive behaviors, sleep and eating disorders, depression, even suicide, the risk of death among unemployed people is multiplied by two compared to assets of the same age.

548 suicides after the 2008 crisis

According to the work of the National Institute of Health and Medical Research (Inserm), an increase of 10% of the unemployment rate results in an increase of 1,5% of the suicide rate among job seekers. The rise in unemployment, relative to the crisis that hit France from 2008 to 2010, has resulted in 548 suicides. The unemployed are also more subject to addictive behavior (alcohol or cannabis use), have a less healthy lifestyle and are less physically active, particularly because of feelings of guilt and loss of self-esteem.

"At the beginning, (alcohol) helped me to stand up to the eyes of others, because I had the feeling of being judged permanently because I was unemployed," says Olivier, 51, unemployed. was depressed, anxious, had suicidal thoughts. The days were hard to live with, time did not pass, so I consumed to help myself a little, to occupy myself but, when was the end of the day , I felt guilty for not having looked for a job, so I had a drink then another to forget, until I fell asleep ".

Unemployed people, for example, have a risk of stroke and heart attack increased by 80% compared to working people. More of them die of cancer. And 40% of them have already given up on a treatment for financial reasons against 25% of the working population. "It is a subject collectively underestimated", indignant the association Solidarité Nouvelles face au Unemployment (SNC) in a report published last September (1). It calls on political leaders, public authorities, institutions and health actors to improve health care for unemployed people.

Change our look

In an opinion published in 2016, the Economic, Social and Environmental Council (Cese), also considered that this was a "major public health problem". "The outlook on unemployed people must evolve and become more benevolent and objective. Preventing the most devastating social consequences for unemployed people and those around them presupposes combating stigma that impairs the legitimate exercise of their rights , to the image they have of themselves and ultimately to their very reintegration into the labor market. "

The CESE recommends better support for the unemployed, offering them psychological support, guiding them to a first medical check-up from the first interview at Pôle Emploi, and thinking about extending the occupational health system to the unemployed. To deepen the question, Pierre Meneton, the first French researcher to have studied the issue, is conducting a new research program on voluntary 200 000 to further refine the link between unemployment and excess mortality.

Source: https://www.novethic.fr/actualite/socia ... 46867.html
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The dead of unemployment: 10 14 000 in France!

by Ahmed » 03/02/19, 16:17

No, it is not a lack of activity that these people suffer from: unemployment is a social disease linked to a specific form of activity of a very particular society. This disease is inherent to the functioning of its economic system which is based on this work while expelling it massively because of increasing productivity, itself one of the conditions of its process ...
This document is very revealing in that it contains the contradictions that explain the stated behaviors and consequences.
It states:
"The view on unemployed people must evolve and become more benevolent and objective.

It is therefore a matter of psychologizing the debate by concealing the objective causes and rejecting the reality to focus on the only possible way to imagine (for the author or authors of the article): the return to the 'employment. This is pitiful.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/02/19, 17:12

I heard no lack of activity all that included unemployment (and that I knew well):

- less physical and mental activity
- life hygiene down
- less income available (but not always)
- finally great psychological pressure: family, neighbors, friends, unemployment organizations, recruiters ... (scratch or check the option available in your case)
- feeling (false) of social uselessness, guilt of the inactive ...

And all the physical and mental consequences that all this implies ...

Of course it is not the fault of the unemployed if it is (in general) but that of society, even if the latter tries to make him feel guilty (the current society would it have a narcissistic perverse function ??? I begin to wonder: the executioner accusing his own victims!)

I don't know which philosopher said: "Activity is essential to human happiness" (or something like that)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/02/19, 17:39

I understood well what you meant, but reacted on the term "activity" which I opposed to "work". The latter, in its particularities, being an activity specific to our current economic system, while activity is a historical and universal constant. It therefore also concerns animals which, subjected to similar conditions of deprivation * react in a comparable way: self-mutilation, aggressiveness or, on the contrary, apathy, failures of the immune system, psychosomatic pathologies and addictive tendencies (the latter case during experiences).
You write:
I begin to wonder: the executioner accusing his own victims!

Yes, it is a fairly conventional form of denial to reject a fault that can not be recognized under penalty of disavowal. Formulated otherwise, it is a cognitive dissonance.

* Attention, in the case of the animals I evoke the deprivation of activity, whereas we speak about the impossibility to accede to the work with regard to the humans; this introduces an interesting comparative remark; subjected to work, the humans are thus deprived of activity and one finds the manifestations mentioned above and concerning the animals ... Certainly, they suffer a little less because they self-domesticated during time... : roll:
1 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 03/02/19, 18:28

Unemployment causes what I call social apoptosis.
If we consider society as an organism (1), the healthy cells that compose it (the individuals) whose utility is no longer necessary to the whole receive a signal that they are self-destructive.
In a society based on exponential growth, individuals no longer fulfilling the conditions necessary for this purpose, following a loss of jobs or others, tend to develop a feeling of worthlessness, which, if not treated in time can end with a phase of somatisation as a result of the phenomenon inhibition of action(2)

(1) The techno-industrial society forms a super-organism anthropotechnique with a metabolism (economy) and techno-rhythm based on cycles of about 1 centuries.The individuals that compose it act as economic agent or cells and promotes unconsciously are development ...
(2) In nature an animal has two solutions to a danger:the escape ou the clash, remains a third option: the inhibition of the action.On note that in the first two cases the individuals when it has the possibility of action does not devellope or few somatic diseases.In the case of the inhibition it is found that an individual unable to act ends very quickly by declaring somatic-type diseases.
Our contemporary society has many situations in which the inhibition of the action remains the only possibility. Indeed it is difficult to flee a job in a country with a high unemployment rate and even more complicated than to smash the mouth to his employer. ... alcohol, cannabis and other drugs are then responsible for accelerating the deleterious process ...

edit: Ahmed took me by surprise, I had zapped the last message :P
1 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 03/02/19, 21:04

Christophe wrote:Of course it is not the fault of the unemployed if it is (in general) but that of society, even if the latter tries to make him feel guilty (the current society would it have a narcissistic perverse function ??? I begin to wonder: the executioner accusing his own victims!)

Accuse the victim of being guilty of his situation is a classic, the dominant thinking is that everyone is responsible for his situation (very convenient for those who were born rich or had the right opportunities).
A video explaining this phenomenon:

But where it is very serious, it is when institutions operate on this principle, those who have already had to do pole job already know what I am talking about:
http://www.hacking-social.com/2016/08/2 ... -remedier/
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/19, 08:51

Good answer from Petrus! 8)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/02/19, 11:08

Sociological explanations have their limits and this is the case in what interests us here: it is not by mistake or because of any bias that the responsibility for unemployment is attributed to the individual, but made of a carefully crafted ideology and manipulation of public opinion that is the consequence. That this strategy of domination is integrated by the dominants themselves or that they use it cynically, knowingly *, does not change the reality.

* This is necessarily the case for those who develop "communication" (read propaganda), because only a full awareness of manipulation can make this instrument effective.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 04/02/19, 11:38

Let's not forget that a large part of unemployment is not counted ... in France we eyeing with the 21% unemployment in reality.
https://www.econologie.com/forums/economie-finance/taux-de-chomage-officiels-vs-recalcule-t15876.html
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/19, 11:49

Yes like everywhere in Western Europe I think ...

So we should multiply these deaths not roughly 2?
0 x