Buying French: made in France, a solution to the crisis?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

Buying French: made in France, a solution to the crisis?

by Christophe » 12/12/11, 11:09

The principle of econology supports, you know, the purchase "as" local as possible. This obviously also concerns production ...

Concretely let's move on to the "oriented" purchase and yapluka: this year, for example, I decided to buy all of my Christmas shopping from artisans in Christmas markets (obviously paying attention to fake artisans "importer of chinoiseries or indianneries" ..) or in the fair trade (Oxfam stores in Belgium) ... For the moment it's working pretty well, I have a "rate" that feels 100% ...like what it takes little and there is still time to reverse the steam I think !!

Small gestures, big consequences!

Here is an article from the world which summarizes some marketing initiatives based on the "made in France" (maybe a little too marketing for my taste but good ...)

http://www.lemonde.fr/rendez-vous/artic ... _3238.html

"Buying French has become a citizen gesture"

Alexandre Lopepe is a convinced European, but for the past six months he has only wanted to buy French products. "I had the click after a series of reports on the ravages of cotton production on the environment in China", explains this 28-year-old Toulouse, computer scientist in the space sector. "I have never been an activist, but now I become so by acting." Claire Nahoun, she had a "revelation last winter", she recalls. "One evening, my son, who works alternately in a toy store, told me that 80% of what I owned was made in China. It stung me to the quick," explains this five-year-old assistant in a Parisian law firm. "Since then I peel the labels and I have surprises, like major brands of clothing made in China. I am for globalization but now, I direct my purchases."

As for Thierry Lehoux, manager of a design office in Nantes, his awareness dates from just under two years ago, at the heart of the global crisis. "We have defended free trade with naivety, he comments. Pollution and low wages are in Asia and we have gradually lost our industries, our research departments and even our head offices. I favor short circuits for bring production back to France. "

Atypical, these consumers? Quite the contrary. According to a survey carried out by the FIFG among 1 people and published on Monday 004 November, 66% of French people say they are ready to pay a little more (5 or 10%) if the product is made in France. Declarations of intent, certainly, but which are now found in the facts.

On the Net, quick to reveal trends, the Alittlemarket site doubles in size every six months. It exhibits the French productions of 20 artisans - textiles, luggage, decoration, jewelry: 000 visits per month, 400 million page views. Eight out of ten customers, surveyed in October, say they buy on the site to work the local economy. "One hundred new creators per day ask to be exposed on the site", explains, still astonished, the co-founder Nicolas Cohen.

This enthusiasm did not escape Hervé Gibet and Fabienne Butin. These two pioneers have, at the same time as their work - he is a journalist in Paris, she is a painting teacher in Cassis -, created in 2008 the La Fabrique hexagonale and Madine-France sites to help consumers find companies manufacturing in the region. "At the beginning, some took me for a pétainiste", explains Hervé Gibet. "Me, for a far right activist," adds Fabienne Butin. "It was at the end of 2010 that the trend was reversed: buying French has become a citizen gesture", recognize the two protagonists.

A sign of the times, the bicentenary company Pleyel, known the world over for its pianos, called Hervé Gibet this summer to be listed online. From now on, blue-white-red sales sites are multiplying: 100% Made in France, France-Avenue, Buying French is not a luxury, etc. Even sites intended for small purses are getting started. Thus 30eurosmaxi.com stamps hexagonal products with a small cockade. "Our sales are increasing by 30% per year. I was surprised at the diversity of French objects accessible to small budgets", explains its founder, Hanane El Riz. "The craze dates back to a little over a year ago," adds Alexiane Pesenti, marketing manager for Vilac, whose Petitcollin dolls are sold on this site. It is a positive consequence of the crisis. Purchasing power is decreasing, the French buy less, but better. "

As a result, some manufacturers, struggling in recent years, are raising their heads. "This year I enlarged the" made in France "logo on the packaging of our toys, it has become a commercial argument," says Jacques Ecoiffier, boss of the eponymous toy company. The Klorofil range from the Vulli company, sporting a tricolor, can be found this Christmas at the head of the toy stores.

The French touch is also on the rise beyond borders. "When ten New York parks are equipped with our chairs (those of the Parisian garden of Luxembourg), it is a bit of the Latin Quarter and the Sorbonne that they buy", recognizes Bernard Reybier, CEO of Fermob, who realizes almost half of its turnover abroad. Jean-Yves Hepp is quite proud to present his 100% Frenchy Qooq touchscreen tablet in the world temple of high-tech, the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, next January. "I am going to sell it to the Americans when its production has just moved from Shenzhen (China) to Montceau-les-Mines (Saône-et-Loire) without it costing me more," he explains.

No angelism, however. Consumers will still have a hard time finding French industrial products - apart from the food industry, of course - on the shelves of supermarkets and hypermarkets. "Some distributors do not play along and sell toys made in China more expensive than ours", considers Jacques Ecoiffier. For a small French company, it is not easy to seduce large retailers, used to quadrupling or fivefold Chinese prices and thus achieving substantial margins.

To cope differently, a new generation of entrepreneurs are turning to alternative distribution models. The furniture manufacturer L'Edito, created in 2008, offers an attractive model on its site: Internet users can of course buy furniture 100% made in Evry. But it can also partly finance the development of a prototype offered online. He can then buy the object at a discount (- 20%) but also receive, as a "co-publisher", "royalties" for each sale (around 1 euro per piece of furniture sold for 100 euros initially invested). The company has no stock, does not advance any development costs and only has a showroom-office in Paris.

The model visibly seduced: 100 euros, or 000% of turnover, will be donated this year to Internet users, estimates its managing director, Francis Lelong, creator of the Sarenza shoe site a few years ago. "We are not green but have strong values, he explains. We can do just as well by producing French and by being a little more imaginative."

Initiatives are multiplying. Since 2009, the Archiduchesse site offers a range of 48 colors of socks made in Limoges. 50 pairs have already been sold. Jacques & Déméter, a brand of chic shoes for less than 000 euros, has just launched on the Net in November. At the helm, a young duo of designers who will multiply, by Christmas, their presence in "pop-ups", these ephemeral sales places that appear all over France. "It's a good way to meet clients," explains co-founder Maxime Van Rothem.

For the consumer, despite everything, not so easy to navigate. "The origin of the products is much less visible than twenty years ago, testifies Thierry Lehoux. I recently wanted to buy a car battery. I asked the seller where the three models on offer came from ... He was unable to answer me and only told me that all three were working fine! " To clarify the situation, an Origine France Garantie label was launched in May. Certified by a private organization, Bureau Veritas, it stipulates that "50% of the value of the product has been acquired on the national territory and that the places where it took its essential characteristics are located in France". A rather vague definition ... and expensive to put into practice.

"I wanted to be certified, I received an estimate of around 3 euros", explains the young textile designer Philippe Gaber, who has resolved to create his own logo to show his "frankness". Optician Atol has had his latest collection of Nu glasses certified.

As for companies too quick to ride the trend that display a cockade ... the 60 monthly visitors to La Fabrique hexagonale are now watching. "They are as many volunteer special envoys who report information as discreet relocations of production sites", notes Hervé Gibet. Web 000 at the service of a new citizen control.

Laura Belot
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 12/12/11, 11:20

It is curious that the same politicians who advocated liberalism will have to review their copies, so we would have been lied to about the benevolence of free trade? : Cheesy:
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/11, 11:25

If we had only been lied to above ... when people understand that it is not the politicians who run a country but economic interests (with all that that implies) then we will have taken a big step!

It is time to apply anti-crisis protectionism furthermore passing the "founding and moral" (ahem) principles of the WTO ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 12/12/11, 11:31

Christophe wrote:If we had only been lied to above ... when people understand that it is not the politicians who run a country but economic interests (with all that that implies) then we will have taken a big step!

It is time to apply anti-crisis protectionism furthermore passing the "founding and moral" (ahem) principles of the WTO ...

Is the WTO the global organization of hoaxes? : Mrgreen:

Protectionism is a term prohibited by law, you would not want to decrease and go to jail too! :)
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/12/11, 11:37

interesting to want to buy French, but upstream, it would be necessary to produce French ...

an egg and chicken problem, and the Meritorious Organization of the Rooster (WTO) ...

: Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/11, 11:47

sen-no-sen wrote:Protectionism is a term prohibited by law, you would not want to decrease and go to jail too! :)

Yes that's what we "say" ... but by what law please? The self-proclaimed one of the WTO? WTO which is not a democratic institution ...

I wonder if it was not after the creation of the dictate of the WTO that the concept of fair trade appeared or at least widely developed!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 12/12/11, 12:02

Christophe wrote:
sen-no-sen wrote:Protectionism is a term prohibited by law, you would not want to decrease and go to jail too! :)

Yes that's what we "say" ... but by what law please? The self-proclaimed one of the WTO? WTO which is not a democratic institution ...

The law above the laws, that of globalism.
When it comes to strategic issues, democracy is erased.
The WTO plays a major role in the dissemination of the global economic model, like the IMF, the aim is to establish global governance * under the aegis of market totalitarianism.

* Governance which is not necessarily direct.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/11, 12:04

It is not too late to prevent them ...

Besides, we can see that it doesn't work ...

Cf the current crisis ... unless it is "in their plan" ... :| :| but here we enter the "paranoid forever" mode ... :|
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 12/12/11, 12:09

Christophe wrote:
Cf the current crisis ... unless it is "in their plan" ... :| :| but here we enter the "paranoid forever" mode ... :|

No, the current crisis is systemic, on the other hand its consequences are clearly exploited by some (austerity plan, privatization) ... and there will be others much more painful (oil crisis).

:?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/11, 12:12

You do well to introduce the oil crisis ...

And if everything that is currently happening was linked precisely to this one, with a view to "forecasting" the clash, opting for a strategy of manipulation by deferred ...

Well there, it's more the "parano forever" mode but "half parano half realist" : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"