Fuel or gas?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Fuel or gas?

by sebarmageddon » 26/03/09, 20:17

Hi everybody ,

I would like to know what is the best between oil and gas?

- for the price, oil or gas advantage (taking into account the costs of GDF taxes, and subscription)?
- ecologically, gas or fuel oil?

Currently my parents have a boiler that runs on fuel oil, it does not run continuously, in fact it goes into operation when something requires heat, you hear it when it starts, and outside you see the smoke Which comes out of the chimney for about a minute and ca s stopped, it does not smoke black

My mother would like to put gas in the place of fuel oil, that's why I ask the question, I think several opinions are better than none

please
a+
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 26/03/09, 21:42

The hydrocarbons (molecular chain with carbon and hydrogen) are less emitters of CO2 when their chains are shorter, and the length of the chains diminishes when passing from a liquid hydrocarbon to a gas ...

All this to say that from the point of view of the environmental impact, the gas is better, whether it is for emissions of CO2, particles or other interfering compounds.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/03/09, 09:42

Natural gas is "historically" the cheapest but must be relibable. Its prices are fixed for 6 months (I believe) and aligned with the price of crude.

For fuel oil changes every 3 days.

At the level of CO2, you have everything here:

https://www.econologie.com/emissions-de- ... -3723.html

(A) Fuel oil = diesel
b) GDF gas = natural gas = CH4 (n = 1 in the calculations)
C) Tank gas = Propane / butane = gasoline-like

Edit little error pardon:

C) Tank gas = Propane / butane = comparable to LPG
Last edited by Christophe the 28 / 03 / 09, 12: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 27/03/09, 21:35

Thank you for your answers ,

christophe, you say that gas is historically the cheapest, have you taken into account the various taxes and the subscription to pay every month?
What are the amounts of these taxes on an invoice?

a+
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/03/09, 22:10

It would certainly be possible to provide a precise answer to the comparative costs of FOD and natural gas.
However,today, Whereas it would be necessary to know these prices over the duration of the choice of an installation dedicated to one or the other of these fuels.
No one is able to evaluate the relative evolution of energy prices, even in the near future.
The recent large variations in the price of oil have clearly shown this.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 27/03/09, 23:56

Yes ahmed, it is true that the comparison is quite complicated between fuel oil and gas
what annoys me is that I know that there is a subscription for gas, finally taxes to pay we will say
So the taxes do not cause an increase in the price of gas? Because one could say gas is cheap, and on the other hand have 100% tax on, and I do not know the amount of these taxes and subscription

in addition to these problems, there is also the purchase of a gas burner to modify the boiler in case of change of the type of energy to feed it, but hey, that's another problem.

the ecological part of this problem was easier :D
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 28/03/09, 12:19

Christophe wrote:[...] At the level of CO2, you have everything here:

https://www.econologie.com/emissions-de- ... -3723.html
There is a small mistake in your link, Tof, the family of hydrocarbons we are talking about is called alkane, the alkenes have a C = C bond in place of CC.

Moreover, I would assimilate more gas in tanks to LPG than to gasoline ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/09, 12:25

Ah thank you Bucheron! I will fix right away! That's it, I added 2 links also including the: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclature_des_alcanes

Oops yes for the LPG and propane gas ... it is even more than an assimilation ... : Oops:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/09, 12:36

sebarmageddon wrote:christophe, you say that gas is historically the cheapest, have you taken into account the various taxes and the subscription to pay every month?
What are the amounts of these taxes on an invoice?

Yes everything is understood I think but good seen the variations of fuel oil ...

Who has a gas bill to analyze please?
0 x