Brent oil quotation and purchasing power in France

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Brent oil quotation and purchasing power in France

by Christophe » 19/11/08, 00:28

Here is the evolution over the last 18 years in the working hours necessary to pay for a barrel of oil (based on the gross minimum wage, 1 barrel = 159 L). Sources: DIREM for the price of energy and INSEE for the evolution of the minimum wage

Brent Price: http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/energie/pe ... _brent.htm
Smic: http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/tableau.a ... 5&reg_id=0

This curve follows on from these 2 subjects:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/prix-du-pe ... t6543.html
et
https://www.econologie.com/forums/heures-de- ... t2786.html

We can clearly see that the impact on purchasing power is still largely nuanced compared to the price of oil in current dollars:

Only here, the price of oil does not define only the price of energy and this is where it can hurt the common people that we are ...Oil is currently falling: all the more reason that purchasing power is rising rapidly!

We can dream right?
0 x
Did67

Re: Brent oil quotation and purchasing power in France

by Did67 » 19/11/08, 12:43

Christophe wrote:
We can clearly see that the impact on purchasing power is still largely nuanced compared to the price of oil in current dollars ...

So I am going to take a swearing insult by saying that oil is not expensive enough (on average).

Because it is a fact that alternative energies are not competitive, waste is not expensive enough and therefore not much will change and the earth will continue to heat up!

And therefore: a progressive taxation of fossil carbon, offset by a reduction in taxes on truly essential products and / or alternative energies or electric vehicles or ... or ... all therefore at constant taxation would be a good idea cow ...

Because to return to a discussion that has already taken place on this forum : I don't forget the part-time supermarket cashier (can she still afford a car? If so, like Peugeot 504 which consumes 12 l / 00 km of "blue" gasoline ??? ).

If only there could be a politician who could be trusted to actually implement such a program .... There, I have no answer!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Brent oil quotation and purchasing power in France

by Woodcutter » 19/11/08, 15:08

Did67 wrote:[...] Because to return to a discussion having already taken place on this forum : I don't forget the part-time supermarket cashier (can she still afford a car? If so, like Peugeot 504 which consumes 12 l / 00 km of "blue" gasoline ??? ). [...]
No, this is rather a 305 or a 205 Diesel ...

The 504 is a classic car now! 8)
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/11/08, 15:37

Yes did, we agree!

The problem is that the media lie to people, by omissions at least, by presenting the RED curve much more often than the PINK curve ... Besides, the PINK curve I have never seen elsewhere than on Econo! Cocoricco! : Mrgreen:
Last edited by Christophe the 19 / 11 / 08, 16: 17, 1 edited once.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 19/11/08, 15:58

@ Did67,

agree with you that oil is not expensive enough.
it is not expensive enough compared to the service provided.

I heard in a report (I don't know which one) an interesting comparison above:

the person said: forget that you have a car and oil. you want to take 3 people ten kilometers from your house and you find someone who has a means of transport to do that (a cart, a bicycle taxi, etc.) how much do you think this service is worth? the average of the answers was 10euros I believe.

even if half of this price represents the costs and the benefit of the person, it still means that the transport itself is worth 5 € for 10kms.
the fuel should therefore be worth 5 euros for 10kms or approximately 7 euros per liter

well it is that an example a little capilo-towed but one does not realize the immense and cheap "services" which oil represents and this kind of example helps to do it.
0 x
Click my signature