Inevitable: The nuclear accident TV movie in France

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Inevitable: The nuclear accident TV movie in France

by jonule » 06/11/08, 11:13

A film on nuclear power: India buys nuclear reactors from France, and asks for an emergency stop for a test, which turns into a nightmare ...

trailers :

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=76-br1VeuLk

http://www.arte.tv/fr/accueil/contenus- ... 66462.html

A film inspired by recent incidents in French nuclear power plants and the conclusions of a report by IRSN, the Institute for Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/08, 11:18

Hey you doubled me! I was going to make a subject! You forgot to say that it happened tomorrow November 7, 2008 evening on Arte

INELUCTABLE a film written by Alain Moreau and directed by François Luciani

With Vanessa LARRE, Jean-Michel PORTAL, Ary ABITTAN, Constance DOLLÉ, Delphine RICH, Thibault de MONTALEMBERT

On ARTE on November 7, 2008 at 21.00 p.m.

I just correct your truveo link to put the youtube one!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 07/11/08, 22:58

So....

Did you watch?

To please Jonule, I watched :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/08, 23:19

I missed the 1st 30 minutes because of a delnoram who didn't want to let me go on MSN ... : Mrgreen:

Nah without laughing I had forgotten ...

So I saw the rest I found it quite "light" ...

In the end I did not understand the technical problem ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 07/11/08, 23:40

He is an Indian engineer chairman of a delegation to buy power plants from home.

He arrives at a power station. He says that everything was not foreseen in the failure scenarios during an emergency shutdown of a reactor ...

For the signing of the contract, he requires that the plant he is visiting immediately carry out a routine emergency shutdown.

It is enormous ! A little farther asks for the immediate unplanned break of 1000 MW on the grid.

A stupid minister gives the authorization for the sale to be done at all costs ...

And there, it goes wrong, etc ...

There are plenty of nasty farting valves, jugs and jugs in the ministries ...

Fortunately, there is a super chief engineer who listens only to his instincts, ignoring the usual crisis procedures and who puts the plant back in a stable zone.

Too strong !

The film constantly makes believe that radioactivity is emitted in the vapors of air coolers.

And after, he moved with his nice pregnant wife and his 2 daughters.

It is an anti-nuke film with big strings totally devoid of technical analysis.

Be careful, I'm not saying the Nuke is safe. : Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/08, 23:44

Good summary ... it joins my "light" ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 09/11/08, 21:03

I had people at home. I started recording on the FBX HD a quarter of an hour late.

Well, the scenario is Chernobyl. There also they had made tests that messed up ...

From a technical point of view there is a lot of approximation. Human problems are highlighted:

On the one hand :

-contracts to be signed at all costs,
-the media which must be controlled,
-the politicians who want to save their ass and pass the buck,
- mid-level officials who to save their careers and obey orders distort information and minimize the actions taken,
- the insider trading of the friend of the minister who sells and redeems shares and makes a big profit in the process,

The other :
-the nuclear employees who do what they can and make mistakes (valve 1 and 2)
-the "Beijing" who does everything for his family (pick up his daughter from school, leave the area, etc ...)
- emergency and gendarmes under equipped, ...

By the way, they should have no longer presented and explained the protective measures. The alert siren which is modulated has a particular sound. We hardly hear it!

Siren nuclear or chemical risk

The gist is in the few lines of text that conclude the film and explain the film's title.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 09/11/08, 22:38

former oceanic wrote:The alert siren which is modulated has a particular sound. We hardly hear it!

Siren nuclear or chemical risk
This signal is not specific to nuclear or chemical risks. This is the warning signal to the population in general. It is used whatever the source of the danger (industry, storm, floods, etc.). The only exception are the dams where a foghorn is used warning before a release of water.

To find out more, you have to listen to the radio (radio France preferably).

Learn more
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 10/11/08, 08:11

C moa wrote:To find out more, you have to listen to the radio (radio France preferably).

Learn more

Ditto in Belgium or everywhere else, when this kind of siren sounds, you have to listen to a national radio and especially not to go out unnecessarily!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 12/11/08, 13:34

you would not confuse irradiation and radioactive contamination Remundo?

Technique through technique, at the service of communication, or how to drown the peas on ...

some topical info after a little research:

Life Tomorrow - Tragedy or Harmony?
A letter from the Association “Sauvons le Climat” to the president of Arte who has just broadcast the film “Ineluctable” on Friday, November 7.
Mister President,

On Friday, November 7, Arte broadcast the film “Ineluctable”. This time the limits of seriousness and decency have been crossed. I will not dwell on the poverty and the improbabilities of the scenario with absurd interventions by the Minister in the management of the crisis, the absence of ASN, the loneliness of the shift engineer, the ridiculousness of Safety Civil. The sensors which work, do not work, walk again while the synoptic seems imperturbable.

Let us remember that the film wanted to describe a scenario which could lead to a serious situation with possible melting of the heart. Such a hypothesis, although very unlikely, is considered possible in reactor safety assessments. It was therefore possible and legitimate to consider it in a fiction. Too bad she was treated in such a superficial way.

During the film, a number of incidents are intended only to panic the populations living near the power plants. For example, the engineer's wife tells us that she would have been irradiated (how, to what extent, why, we are not told) and that she had to have an abortion as a result. She conceived a very legitimate fear of living near a power plant. Except that the irradiation of a pregnant woman visiting a power plant at a level sufficient to endanger the fetus is quite improbable and that its evocation is pure propaganda. Even more improbable, given the regulations governing workers assigned to radiation work, is the presence at his workplace of her husband when he would have been present at the scene when his wife was irradiated. Here it is clearly a question of scare.

Later, in passing, we are told that if the fuel melts, it will pierce the vessel (which is possible, but did not happen for Three Mile Island (TMI), although hydrogen was given off in containment) and that there will be an explosion and ruin of the containment and that a sarcophagus will have to be built. This is completely false as shown by the accident at TMI, where the enclosure perfectly withstood the hydrogen explosion. In addition, since TMI, many measures have been taken to greatly reduce the probability of core meltdown, and above all, to prevent any ruin of the containment (hydrogen recombiner to prevent any hydrogen explosion, device fitted with filters (sand ) allowing automatic decompression of the containment without hazardous releases)

It's strange that, if one understands the film's conclusion correctly, things end up getting back to normal. So what does the ending sequence mean, which shows ruins (presumably those of Chernobyl) and images of injured or distressed children. Even after the Chernobyl disaster, there were no injured or crippled children. It was only after 5 years that thyroid cancer appeared in children under the age of 15 at the time of the disaster. This ending streak is outright abject.

Finally the message appearing in the credits clearly shows that this film is not a simple fiction but that it has a political and ideological aim seeking to develop mistrust with regard to the French nuclear industry. One can wonder if this offensive against French nuclear power is disinterested or if it is inspired by possible competitors.

The TMI accident showed that the greatest risk associated with a severe nuclear accident is the panic it can cause. A film like "Ineluctable" is quite simply criminal and irresponsible in that it sets the stage for such panic.

You will answer me, no doubt, that, in the name of the freedom of expression of the author of the film, Arte is not committed by his work. Unfortunately, before the film, the presenter, in voice "over", one or two minutes before the beginning of the film, announces: "A film which recalls some truths on this dangerous energy ...". This announcement only repeated the announcement of the film made on Arte's website. I quote :

The film directed by François Luciani is timely to recall some truths. In particular, the fact that nuclear power is a high-risk energy: French power plants experience around twenty potentially catastrophic incidents each year. Under these conditions, a serious incident is as unforeseeable as it is inevitable.

I therefore consider that "Ineluctable" is fully endorsed by the channel of which you are president.

Please accept, Mr. President, the expression of my scandalized feelings

Herve Nifenecker
President of "Save the Climate"

Copies: The President of the Republic, Mr. Prime Minister, Mr. Minister of Ecology, Energy, Sustainable Development and Regional Planning, Madam Minister of Culture and Communication.

response from Jean-Pierre Morichaud, physico-chemical engineer in Drôme.

Dear Sir,
I presume that the “Sauvons le Climat” association, which accuses Arte of “panicking the populations”, has the mission of reassuring them. Close to the nuclear lobby, it probably claims to save the planet with the 2% of energy produced there by nuclear electricity.
Representing Frapna on the Local Information Commission of Tricastin for several years, I allow myself to offer you an authorized opinion on the content of Mr Nifnecker's letter. In his critiques, he confuses the risks of irradiation with those of radioactive contamination. currently faced by residents of Tricastin. In addition, he writes that the reactor vessel will not be crossed by the molten fuel in the event of an accident. I wonder why in the Franco-German version of EDF reactors, the EPR, we added a receptacle under the tank that we called the “ashtray”. How does he know that the concrete containment that surrounds the reactor will resist when we had to line the inside with epoxy resin to make it waterproof, because it was built with poor quality cement. He also claims that there are no children made abnormal by radioactivity in Chernobyl. Professor Aurengo, in charge of radiation protection in France, was less affirmative by declaring to me publicly that it is the psychological trauma of mothers during the explosion which explains the presence of her children.
Mr Nifnecker claims that this film is the result of a "criminal and irresponsible plot with political and ideological aims". I am saying that spreading 85 tonnes of more plutonium on the planet per year with the 450 nuclear reactors still in operation in the world is a “criminal and irresponsible financial choice” that the French nuclear manufacturers want to make worse.
Jean-Pierre Morichaud, physico-chemical engineer in Drôme.
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"