Medgaz pipeline underwater in the Mediterranean

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Medgaz pipeline underwater in the Mediterranean

by Christophe » 08/09/08, 15:27

MEDGAZ begins construction of the deepwater pipeline

- The Saipem 7000, the platform used to build the deepest part of the pipeline route, arrived in the port of Almeria.
- MEDGAZ, which constitutes the first direct connection between Algeria and the European market, is also the first gas pipeline built in the Mediterranean at more than 2 meters deep.

The port of Almeria today welcomed the Saipem 7000, the platform used for laying the gas pipeline in the deepest areas of its route (up to 2 meters). The platform started from Stavanger (Norway) where the welding tower was installed, which will install 160 of the 120 kilometers of the Algeria-Europe pipeline route via Spain.

It is a ship belonging to the company Saipem sPa, world leader in the construction of marine infrastructures. It has been used for mounting infrastructure worldwide, including the pipeline built between Russia and Turkey which crossed the Black Sea (Blue Stream) and the Ormen Lange project in Norway.

The Saipem 7000 is 197,95 meters long and its main deck reaches a height of 43,5 meters.

It will remain wet in the port of Almeria from where it will carry out a number of preparatory works until mid-August, when the laying of the pipeline in deep waters (from 550 meters deep) should begin. will start on the Spanish side and end on the Algerian side.

The installation method used is called the J-lay method because of the shape taken by the piping during assembly. The pipes, previously welded in 50-meter sections, are assembled and installed in a vertical position and adopt a J shape during their descent to the seabed.

In total, the deepwater construction process will take approximately 40 days. According to forecasts, the Saipem 7000 will lay 3 kilometers of piping per day. Nearly 450 people will work on board the platform until the end of construction.

MEDGAZ completed the first part of the installation at the end of June. Another ship, the Castoro Sei, installed the section corresponding to the course in shallow waters (up to 550 meters). Once the installation in deep waters is complete, the Castro Sei will continue its installation in Algerian waters.

The arrival of the Saipem 7000 in Almeria represents an important step in the construction of the MEDGAZ. This gas pipeline, which for the first time will link Algerian natural gas deposits to the European market, is also the first gas pipeline to be laid in the Mediterranean at more than 2 meters deep.

Once this section is completed, 80% of the Algeria-Europe gas pipeline via Spain will have been laid. The commissioning of the latter is planned for 2009.

Source: http://www.medgaz.com/medgaz/pages/nota ... _16-fr.htm

They even have videos: http://www.medgaz.com/medgaz/pages/arch ... omento3-fr

Downloads:

a) document (very simple) on the technique of laying an underwater gas pipeline

b) Presentation of the project: technology and economic aspects: https://www.econologie.com/gaz-naturel-g ... -3909.html

According to doc b), the cost price of Algerian gas will be more than 2 times cheaper when it arrives in Europe than Russian gas ...

Who do you think will get the most out of you? It starts with G and ends with DF ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 09 / 08, 17: 05, 1 edited once.
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 08/09/08, 16:34

it gauges for GDF-SUEZ (don't forget the merger-privatization!).

It is to be less dependent on the Russians because with what is happening at the moment with Georgia, there is water in the Russian gas Image

Sarko has been talking for 4 hours with Medvedev on the Georgian problem, while the interview was to last 1:30 !!

Sarko really believes he will make the Russians bow, but he dreams !!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Medgaz, an underwater gas pipeline in the Mediterranean

by Woodcutter » 08/09/08, 17:43

Christophe wrote:[...] a) document (very simple) on the technique of laying an underwater gas pipeline[...]
Nice this little doc, I did not think that a metal tube of this size was so "flexible" ...
What can be the size of the ray it forms at the bottom?
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 08/09/08, 17:46

martien007 wrote:[...] Sarko really believes that he will make the Russians bend, but he dreams !!
Don't forget that he too takes himself for an emperor!
Tsar Koléon Nicolas 1er!
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Clay
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Clay » 24/10/10, 17:07

Thanks for the article.
Is it Spain that is responsible for reselling gas to France?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 08/07/11, 20:50

First passage of Gas in the Medgaz Pipeline from Algeria to Spain!

First Algerian gas heads to Spain via Medgaz

July 7, 2011

First gas has flowed through the Medgaz trunkline taking supplies north from Algeria to mainland Spain via the Mediterranean Sea.

The Medgaz system links onshore pipeline systems in Spain with gas-production facilities onshore Algeria via a 210-km (130-mi) long, reaching a maximum water depth of 2,155 m (7,070 ft).

This submarine pipeline section has an annual capacity of 8 bcm (282.5 bcf). A future scheduled upgrade will boost capacity to 16 bcm (565 bcf).

The project took 10 years to plan and engineer. Operator Medgaz SA commissioned Lloyd's Register Inspection for technical support in 2007 to ensure safe and responsible delivery of the program which will provide gas for power-generating plants, and Spanish domestic demand.

Lloyd's has completed five inspection-related work packages to ensure compliance with codes and standards at the suppliers' facilities and on-site during construction of the pipeline - offshore and onshore - and at the onshore facilities during installation, testing, and commissioning.

http://www.offshore-mag.com/index/artic ... n_gas.html
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 09/07/11, 12:21

It is an earthquake region (proven in the past and by depth, and the fact that Gibraltar was closed 5 million years ago).

Why did they go so deep in an underwater canyon ??
While Gibraltar is shallower, and the earthquake risk similar ??

I wonder if these are not false seismic assessments, like for nuclear power plants ????? !!
Gibraltar opens and closes at the same time: oceanic ridge which opens and Africa which re-enters Europe !!

Lloyd had to think !!!

But an earthquake will break this pipeline sooner or later, like nuclear power plants !!!
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"